Anyone else ever been picked on in school?

Amigo

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 11:40 pm
ossobuco wrote:
No, no, that doesn't go with my pink suit..
What kind of gang is this.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 11:57 pm
My earliest memories of pre-school are the name calling. I remember being called "hamburger" because it had the same number of syllables and sounded a little like my last name.

All through elementary school I remember being teased because of my height. I was most often the tallest girl or boy in my classes until the boys finally started their growth spurts.

In fifth grade acne started appearing on my face and I was called "watermelon head" and "pizza face" for several years.

In sixth grade my body started developing into a young woman. I remember being called a "slut" because I had breasts.

I was an award-winning swimmer on the local swim team and often had long sun-bleached blonde hair at the end of summer. I remember being called "onion head" at the start of the school years.

I remember going home from school crying many a day because no one liked me, and I remember the party mom put together for the entire class at kindergarten school in an effort to help me make friends. It didn't work and it was very embarrassing.

In jr high and highschool I got involved in sports, ecology and civil rights and war protests. I think I only had one fist fight and that was with another girl over the use of a handball board on the playground. For the most part I internalized everything and just kept to myself. Books and animals were my friends. Any aggressions or feelings I had about bullying I expressed at civil rights rallies and in articles for the school newspaper. Depending on which group I was with at the time, I was called either a "rah-rah," "commie," "hippie," or "n----- lover."

That name calling made me the person I am today...both good and bad.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:39 am
Amigo wrote:
We ain't fool'en anybody baby. Cool

Let's get it on.

Ok :-D
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:42 am
Butrflynet wrote:
My earliest memories of pre-school are the name calling. I remember being called "hamburger" because it had the same number of syllables and sounded a little like my last name.

All through elementary school I remember being teased because of my height. I was most often the tallest girl or boy in my classes until the boys finally started their growth spurts.

In fifth grade acne started appearing on my face and I was called "watermelon head" and "pizza face" for several years.

In sixth grade my body started developing into a young woman. I remember being called a "slut" because I had breasts.

I was an award-winning swimmer on the local swim team and often had long sun-bleached blonde hair at the end of summer. I remember being called "onion head" at the start of the school years.

I remember going home from school crying many a day because no one liked me, and I remember the party mom put together for the entire class at kindergarten school in an effort to help me make friends. It didn't work and it was very embarrassing.

In jr high and highschool I got involved in sports, ecology and civil rights and war protests. I think I only had one fist fight and that was with another girl over the use of a handball board on the playground. For the most part I internalized everything and just kept to myself. Books and animals were my friends. Any aggressions or feelings I had about bullying I expressed at civil rights rallies and in articles for the school newspaper. Depending on which group I was with at the time, I was called either a "rah-rah," "commie," "hippie," or "n----- lover."

Alot of people can't even talk about it. There is not much attention paid to it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:42 am
Eva wrote:
Yeah! We'll pick on bullies!!!

So, what's our color? (I'd go for red or black, but no pastels please.)

(((((((((Eva)))))))))

Yeah yeah, this is good. I say we go with red. I look good in red :-D

Yeah RED Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:44 am
ossobuco wrote:
I think red and blue are taken.

How about turquoise?

Red is taken Crying or Very sad

Ok, how about majenta? (spelling?)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:48 am
Never picked on, except for one brief stretch in the sixth grade. A movie was out that had a word in it that resembled my last name. Thinking back on this, I'm amazed that it didn't bother me much. I shrugged it off.

I got into many fights in my younger years. My mother was horrified when she found my father giving me lessons in self-defense. "Block it with your left and hit him with your right." "Girls don't need to know that," she said. "This one does," said my father. His feeling was that if I was fighting (and I was), I needed to be able to protect myself.

The fights had nothing to do with teasing or bullying. They mostly had to do with my impatience and hot-temper. (Shame on me.) On reflection it's possible that someone was attempting to bully me or pick on me. But it never got far because I would attack.

In junior high I led a group in picking on someone who had done me wrong. She pissed me off, and I got even. But it bothered me. I saw her several years after that and apologized for being mean. She apologized for doing me wrong. It still bothers me.

BTW, I haven't taken a swing at anybody in a while. I realize that fighting never solved anything, but damn it felt good. To release the rage. Let it out. Not have to deal with it festering on the inside.

Editing to add two things. First I'm sorry that so many people had such a horrible time. Second, I remember that an older cousin used to tease me unmericifully. I would launch myself at him. He fended me off. Just made me madder.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:56 am
Butrflynet wrote:

((((((((((Butrflynet))))))))))))

Yeah, me too with the good and bad.

I was heavy until I was 14, so my nick names were Wilma the whale, earthquake, bagatrash (sounds like my last name), and I could go on.

I also kept to myself, but usually had one friend anyway. Animals were my best friends and I wanted to be a vet for the longest time.

Acne was a big problem for me as well and I still get a nice zit ever now and again, but no one calls me pizza face anymore.

Then I had the joy of being called boobs because my breasts developed faster than the other girls.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I was gifted with high school where it all got very physical and the name calling turned into threats.

BITCHES!!!! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:58 am
I was kind of picked on sometimes......but nowhere near as much as you might expect, given some circumstances.

When I started school, I didn't understand why I was there. My older sister was ill, and was schooled at home. So....when I was sent to school, I thought I was being sent there because I wasn't loved, and I stopped being an apparently confident kid with lots of friends to being a weepy wuss. And I was skinny with buck teeth....AND every other kid had been to kindy with the class, and were in firm friendship groups. It was hell breaking in to the cliques, when you were a skinny, buck-teethed wuss to start with!!!!

THEN, it got worse......when my sister was dying, and after her death, my parents were so preoccupied with their loss, that there was just nothing there for me, and also there was to be no discussion of my sister...she just disappeared.

So...I took to comfort eating.....and became chubby...THEN I got glasses!!!!

What a target!!! Also, I was very good at schoolwork, and hated organised sport, and was very well-behaved. NOT good.

So, there was some targetting, but somehow it never got really bad, and it stopped completely after year 7.

I don't know why.......I think I just learned to say "And so.....?" if someone picked on me for my weight, or glasses, or for being smart etc.

It's tough, maybe, to keep meanness going if someone calmly admits to the attribute you are teasing them about, and asks you what's their problem with that? I don't know...but I remember some helpless opening and shutting of mouths, and walkings off from the mean kids.

Also, if they picked on someone else, I was fearless in defending that person, and wouldn't give in until they apologised. Maybe I was scary?

Anyhoo, I was lucky....but I know that bullying can be extraordinarily traumatising, and its serious effects can last forever.

It HAS to be taken seriously by schools etc.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:58 am
Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:59 am
Roberta wrote:
Never picked on, except for one brief stretch in the sixth grade. A movie was out that had a word in it that resembled my last name. Thinking back on this, I'm amazed that it didn't bother me much. I shrugged it off.

I got into many fights in my younger years. My mother was horrified when she found my father giving me lessons in self-defense. "Block it with your left and hit him with your right." "Girls don't need to know that," she said. "This one does," said my father. His feeling was that if I was fighting (and I was), I needed to be able to protect myself.

The fights had nothing to do with teasing or bullying. They mostly had to do with my impatience and hot-temper. (Shame on me.) On reflection it's possible that someone was attempting to bully me or pick on me. But it never got far because I would attack.

In junior high I led a group in picking on someone who had done me wrong. She pissed me off, and I got even. But it bothered me. I saw her several years after that and apologized for being mean. She apologized for doing me wrong. It still bothers me.

BTW, I haven't taken a swing at anybody in a while. I realize that fighting never solved anything, but damn it felt good. To release the rage. Let it out. Not have to deal with it festering on the inside.

Editing to add two things. First I'm sorry that so many people had such a horrible time. Second, I remember that an older cousin used to tease me unmericifully. I would launch myself at him. He fended me off. Just made me madder.

I wish I started fighting back long before I did.

((((((((Roberta)))))))))
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 01:05 am
Oh!!! Thank god I never got acne!!!

And early breasts DID help.

Rolling Eyes

It's crazy.

Oh...and being smart got to be cool...especially since I wasn't snobby and mean about it....I remember a bunch of girls coming up to me in year 11 and saying "You're a brain!!!! But you're a NICE brain. You don't make us feel bad when you explain stuff."

That's a nice compliment. A lot of the really clever people were very cliquey and made others feel bad.....by no means all, but it was there....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 01:41 am
Yeah, the acne was hell. I even started seeing a dermatologist when I was 16.

To this day, I get this one big mountain one every now and again and it's usually right before I have my picture taken or have some kind of meeting.

Of course it's either at the top of my nose right between my eyes, making be look like a cyclops (another name they called me when zit permitted), next to my left nostril (your right), or my chin. It doesn't have any special spot it likes to dwell on my chin, so I at least get a change of pace there Laughing

@#$%in zits!!!

So, you were a cool brain, eh Deb. That's cool Cool
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 02:01 am
Heh, every single one of my school pictures has at least one zit on my chin and another at the corner of my mouth. Between the zits and my mom always cutting my bangs way too short, I used to dread school picture day. I spent many an hour at the zit popper's office too.

The one good benefit of zits was in the ongoing battle with my little brother and his constantly following me everywhere. I'd get a handful of mayonnaise then chase my brother and tell him I was going to pop a zit on him if he didn't go home, and flick mayonnaise on him. :wink: Laughing He'd run home screaming in horror!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 02:06 am
Montana wrote:

To this day, I get this one big mountain one every now and again and it's usually right before I have my picture taken or have some kind of meeting.

Of course it's either at the top of my nose right between my eyes, making be look like a cyclops (another name they called me when zit permitted), next to my left nostril (your right), or my chin. It doesn't have any special spot it likes to dwell on my chin, so I at least get a change of pace there Laughing

@#$%in zits!!!

Only after brains became cool!!!

Actually, in my school there was always a kind of kudos for smarts.....but the pecking order tended to be run more by the not very smart sporty girls...or the vocal bit of it was. It was kind of wheels within wheels.....
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 02:12 am
dlowan wrote:
Also, if they picked on someone else, I was fearless in defending that person, and wouldn't give in until they apologised. Maybe I was scary?

I do this to this day, even when it is not wanted or desired by the one I'm defending. I get in a lot of needless arguments because I put myself in the shoes of the person being picked on or neglected and yell about it.

I feel a lot more confident in my ability to stick up for someone else than I do sticking up for myself. I don't get as paralized by the hurt I guess.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 02:16 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Heh, every single one of my school pictures has at least one zit on my chin and another at the corner of my mouth. Between the zits and my mom always cutting my bangs way too short, I used to dread school picture day. I spent many an hour at the zit popper's office too.

The one good benefit of zits was in the ongoing battle with my little brother and his constantly following me everywhere. I'd get a handful of mayonnaise then chase my brother and tell him I was going to pop a zit on him if he didn't go home, and flick mayonnaise on him. :wink: Laughing He'd run home screaming in horror!

You make me proud Butrfly <sniff> Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 02:22 am
dlowan wrote:
Montana wrote:

@#$%in zits!!!

Only after brains became cool!!!

Actually, in my school there was always a kind of kudos for smarts.....but the pecking order tended to be run more by the not very smart sporty girls...or the vocal bit of it was. It was kind of wheels within wheels.....

Sounds like it worked out for ya :-D

I remember I even felt sorry for the smart kids (I wasn't one of them Laughing ) because they were picked on by almost everyone, not just one particular group.

There was one smart girl who wasn't picked on, and it was because she was beautiful. She was popular with everyone and was the prettiest girl in the school, but it seemed she was the only one who didn't seem to notice.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 02:24 am
Butrflynet wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I do this to this day, even when it is not wanted or desired by the one I'm defending. I get in a lot of needless arguments because I put myself in the shoes of the person being picked on or neglected and yell about it.

I feel a lot more confident in my ability to stick up for someone else than I do sticking up for myself. I don't get as paralized by the hurt I guess.

I stick up for others as well. I just can't help it, but I think I'm pretty good at sticking up for myself as well.

I scare me sometimes Laughing
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 02:57 am
The one time I stuck up for myself (the fist fight) I scared myself with how much I lost control. All I saw was absolute rage and I am lucky all I had available to me was my fists. I didn't even hurt the girl much, but I sure felt capable of doing so.

I learned to just walk away. I never wanted to lose control like that ever again. I learned to be real good at avoiding fights by talking my way out of them.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 03:19:27