OUTRAGE OVER WHALING ... #2 <cont>

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:16 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I think I laid out my reasons pretty clearly, FM
We all think that J, doesnt make it so.
You love to conflate different times and different occasions to cement your entire thesis into one argument.
US hasnt used whales since early in the 20th century and the last product it was used for was bone, baleen, ambergris and pet foods. (Chemistry solved most all of these "resources")

Code: You deny that most of this issue isn't about cute and cuddly. You deny that some of the worst abusers of whales on the planet are now the same hypocrites who want to outlaw it
The only one who dwelled on cute and cuddly was Robert , who has disappeared. His argument was also derived from a position that "ANTI WHALING IS WRONG" and so there. You posted the PAckwood Magneson issue to make your point and too bad it , if read in its entirety, doesnt not only support you, it actually presents the ROOT of anti whaling and the concept of snactuaries. It also replays criminal acts and punishment (to remind you of your need to claim that any trial has no basis in international law).

I claim no expertise in international marine law, and, from what youve posted, neither do I detect one from you. My point there wasthat the Australian Govt has NO responsibility to post, for the world to read, charges that it may or may not file and their bases. WHy do you feel that we have even a right to have this disclosed to us since this is gonna be between Oz, NZ and Japan. Not some fodder for the Internet (much of which thats posted thereon as fact and scinece is crap anyway)

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:53 pm
@Setanta,
gungasnake wrote:
Anybody claiming whaling to be part of their culture needs to GET a culture.

Setanta replied: That's a good one . . . i enjoyed that . . .

And I got a minus 1 for pointing out that ...

When Gunga posted, I thought, well, that's just Gunga. But both Gunga and Setanta are guilty of making exceedingly ignorant if not racist remarks. There are many cultures who take whales and they don't deserve these unfair aspersions.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 01:15 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
We all think that J, doesnt make it so.
You love to conflate different times and different occasions to cement your entire thesis into one argument.
US hasnt used whales since early in the 20th century and the last product it was used for was bone, baleen, ambergris and pet foods. (Chemistry solved most all of these "resources")

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case it does. My first posting said it.

No country has the right to tell another country what they can take from international waters or their own territorial waters. Note that this is recognized by the IWC.

Historical factors are highly relevant to the present situation and for you to try to downplay that is typical of the subterfuge that has occasioned a great deal of this nonsense.

Yup, those saints, the good ole US of A, never the hypocrites, chastizing Japan for using the whale for food for people.

Quote:
The only one who dwelled on cute and cuddly was Robert , who has disappeared. His argument was also derived from a position that "ANTI WHALING IS WRONG" and so there.

The whole focus against whaling is based on whipping up fervor among folks and it's not based on the science or the "illegalities", it's based on "awwwww, we love whales".

I'm not going to go back right now to check, but I think that you're badly misrepresenting Robert's argument, FM.

Quote:
You posted the PAckwood Magneson issue to make your point and too bad it , if read in its entirety, doesnt not only support you, it actually presents the ROOT of anti whaling and the concept of snactuaries. It also replays criminal acts and punishment (to remind you of your need to claim that any trial has no basis in international law).

US made laws have been full of duplicity, lies, conniving, doing what we want, the rest of the world be damned, ... . If fact, if I'm not mistaken, there were some US laws that provided for the slaughter of a hundred thousand or so Iraqis. There were no laws that provided for a number of illegal invasions, the rape, torture and murder of thousands upon thousands. There were "legal" afterthoughts to cover it all up and pardon the guilty.

And I don't think that copies of US laws are sent over to the UN for enforcement.

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 01:42 pm
@JTT,
I dislike Wikipedia because it is often so subjective and often suspect but for your failure to comprehend might I select the opening statement re the SOuthern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.

Quote:
From Wikipedia,\

The Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary is an area of 50 million square kilometres surrounding the continent of Antarctica where the International Whaling Commission (IWC) has banned all types of commercial whaling. To date, the IWC has designated two such sanctuaries, the other being the Indian Ocean Whale Sanctuary.

Quote:
JTT said " whipping up fervor among folks and it's not based on the science or the "illegalities", it's based on "awwwww, we love whales "

Apparently youve jumped in without reading whats gone on before.(Not a great discussion trick ) Ive been pretty consistent that Id probably have to accept a harvest of whales that is scientifically determined to be sustainable. MY ENTIRE ARGUMENT HAS BEEN THAT THE JAPANESE ARENT WHALING WITH ANY SENSE OF ECOLOGICALLY DETERMINED SUSTAINABILITY. The IWC has called for a way to correctly establish the size and carrying capacity and sustainability (should whaling be resumed) all this is requested to be based upon REAL SCIENCE and not kill and count crap of the Japanese "SCientific Research.
Youre not really reading too deeply into the argument at all, youve contradicted your position at least twice and your accepting that the Japanese kill count is scientifically defensible and ITS NOT.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 02:30 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I dislike Wikipedia because it is often so subjective and often suspect but for your failure to comprehend might I select the opening statement re the SOuthern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.

Did you stop reading after the opening statement, Farmer? Is this the "subjectivity" that you find so suspect?

Quote:
Japan has argued that the establishment of the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary was in contravention of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW) on which the IWC is based and is therefore illegal.

This view received strong support from Professor W. T. Burke of the University of Washington in his paper circulated as IWC Document Number IWC/48/33. He refers to Article V(2)(b) of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW) which requires that there be a scientific necessity for the amendment to the Schedule required for the creation of such a sanctuary.[4]

The lack of supporting evidence for such a necessity is problematic as the ICRW stipulates that amendments to the Schedule shall be based on scientific findings and that amendments shall only be made when "necessary to carry out the objectives and purposes of the Convention" and that "the interests of the consumers of whale products and the whale industry" shall be considered.[5]

Furthermore, Dr. Douglas Butterworth has suggested that the sanctuary in "the Southern Ocean [is] a transparent attempt to prevent the resumption of whaling on the 750,000 strong Antarctic Minke population for reasons which have nothing to do with science."[6]

As there is no settlement procedure in the IWC for this type of dispute, Japan has asked the IWC to submit its case to a relevant legal body for analysis. The IWC has refused to do so.[7]

Quote:
Ive been pretty consistent that Id probably have to accept a harvest of whales that is scientifically determined to be sustainable. MY ENTIRE ARGUMENT HAS BEEN THAT THE JAPANESE ARENT WHALING WITH ANY SENSE OF ECOLOGICALLY DETERMINED SUSTAINABILITY.

Sorry, FM, but I've missed that objectivity in your postings. Then I haven't read the whole thread. I haven't seen you discuss this allowable harvest with the total ban folk.

What I've seen are rants against what the Japanese are perfectly entitled to do under the current guidelines of the IWC. What I haven't seen from you, again, I haven't seen every posting, is this same degree of virulence directed against the other countries who are whaling, against the US citizens that are whaling, against Canada for pulling out of the IWC, against the stunning examples of lying and duplicity not only from the anti-whaling countries, but from folks on this thread.

Given what seems like duplicity, I'm afraid that I can't simply take your words, in bold, as holding any measure of truth or at least the whole truth.

I have quoted actual scientists who have suggested that the sanctuary was established "illegally". I have also quoted a scientist who seems to suggest that your contention is a spurious one.

[it should be noted that this wasn't the first time I posted this information]

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 03:23 pm
@JTT,
JEEZUS, youre wrong wrongiddy wrong on this point

Quote:
What I've seen are rants against what the Japanese are perfectly entitled to do under the current guidelines of the IWC.
It was the IWC that constituted the Southern Sanctuary (I posted that above but youve ignored that fact..

My line from wiki was that the S Sanctuary WAS DEFINED AND SET UP BY IWC (contrary to your previous assertion that "No country has the right"...

--------------------------------------------
Im interested, Do you feel that the Japanese catch of Minke whales (as defined it was about 1000 pwer year) is sustainable? and on what do you base your belief?

The whale sanctuary (the southern sanctuary , since noone out there seems to dispute the Indian Ocean Sanctuary) has been established withna request by IWC to define sustainability . The Japanese, by not doing any real science are seemingly stonewalling IWC's requests. I wonder why?
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 04:32 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
It was the IWC that constituted the Southern Sanctuary (I posted that above but youve ignored that fact..

My line from wiki was that the S Sanctuary WAS DEFINED AND SET UP BY IWC (contrary to your previous assertion that "No country has the right"...

That's right, Farmer, no country has that right. You are putting way too much store in what is a voluntary body.

Beyond that you ignore that,

Quote:
Japan has argued that the establishment of the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary was in contravention of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW) on which the IWC is based and is therefore illegal.

This view received strong support from Professor W. T. Burke of the University of Washington in his paper circulated as IWC Document Number IWC/48/33. He refers to Article V(2)(b) of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW) which requires that there be a scientific necessity for the amendment to the Schedule required for the creation of such a sanctuary.[4]

The lack of supporting evidence for such a necessity is problematic as the ICRW stipulates that amendments to the Schedule shall be based on scientific findings and that amendments shall only be made when "necessary to carry out the objectives and purposes of the Convention" and that "the interests of the consumers of whale products and the whale industry" shall be considered.[5][/u]

Furthermore, Dr. Douglas Butterworth has suggested that the sanctuary in "the Southern Ocean [is] a transparent attempt to prevent the resumption of whaling on the 750,000 strong Antarctic Minke population for reasons which have nothing to do with science."[6]

You ignore that the IWC is merely a cabal of major western powers, really hypocritical ones at that, that are trying to force weaker countries to do their bidding.

Is this the subjectivity that you find so distressing?
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@JTT,
You are purposely evading the point that Japan has no scientific authoritative basis either. The Sanctuary was established to give time to develop that data. Ill admit that "No whaling" may be severe (IF$ONLY IF, a sustainable value is determined).HELLO< IVE BEEN SAYING THAT QUITE EARLY IN THIS THREAD. You seem to give Japan a total pass and believe that they have determined this value.
YOURE INCORRECT. Im not gonna dwell on that point Im outta breath with you on this point. You seem to only want a one input argument. SOrry, the sanctuary has been established by vote, Japan doesnt like this so Japan calls its whaling "Research" . Yeh, thats honorable.

Japan can get along without whales on their sushi menus. They mine the seas and are being asked worldwide to stay outta our territorial waters. WHen the cod were decimated and then the herd crashed. Japan didnt give a crap They moved on to Pacific cod (Whose populations are now being reduced drastically).

ALL fishing needs to be assessed for sustainability and by not agreeing to amoratorium until the sustainability numbers are determined is national hubris and Japan is not practicing in good faith.
Summary:Thats why I financially support the SEA SHEPHERDS. (just talking on a chat line is useless banter, Im putting up where it counts)

Quote:
You are putting way too much store in what is a voluntary body.
I try to believe in international agreements and "voluntarism" sorta like the Red Cross or United Nations. (I dont buy anything that Ron Paul has to say, hes just Lyndon Lerrouche with a better haircut)
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:24 pm
@farmerman,
You've not given anything whatsoever to substantiate your claims, Farmer. And only of late have you been saying you're for sustainable harvests.

The sanctuary was illegally forced upon countries who are in a voluntary organization. What part of illegally and voluntary don't you understand?

Quote:
Japan can get along without whales on their sushi menus. They mine the seas and are being asked worldwide to stay outta our territorial waters. WHen the cod were decimated and then the herd crashed. Japan didnt give a crap They moved on to Pacific cod (Whose populations are now being reduced drastically).

If you'll note, the USA is close to Japan in consumption. The USA imports about 80% of their seafood. The USA is putting tremendous pressure on the oceans of the world. The USA doesn't need seafood on their MacDonald's menu.

Quote:
Summary:Thats why I financially support the SEA SHEPHERDS. (just talking on a chat line is useless banter, Im putting up where it counts)

Quote:
The FBI defines terrorism as:

The unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a Government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.

Ain't you a hypocrite, Farmer? Do you have any preference as to country to be illegally whisked off to to be tortured?

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:52 pm
@JTT,
My facts are sound , Are yours?. Taking your facts and dicing them

1WHY ARE WE DWELLING ON FISH. ARE YOU STILL CONFUSED AS TO PHYLA?. But, if you must, WE DO import about 80% of our seafood (Again so what?) weve had a long history of feeding lobsters to priconers and sardines to the elite.
WE Import mostly FARMED FISH. you may look that up, Our biggest 3 imports are pelagic open sea tuna, we import half of our shrimp and we import 60% of farmed fillet fish and crab. Im not sure what the hell this has to do with an ything. ARe you trying to make some point here??

Quote:
Farmer. And only of late have you been saying you're for sustainable harvests.
Wrongiddy wrong again.How far back have you read? This goes pretty far back and its the SECOND thread on this subject. ACtually what I said was that I may HAVE TO SETTLE FOR SOME WHALING but at sustainable rates would be my desire. Ive been consistent in that point and I think I say that without any disagreements. Id rather see nO whaling at all since whales are in a special mammalian niche that would relegate them to outright protected staus should they be declining (like the Humback and right whales, and lately the narwhal which seems to be succumbing to factors other than just hunting by Innuit).

You seem to want to relegate the IWC to a "non legitimate staus" is there some reason for that? Is it because they wont fully agree with you? After all, they are an org that is supposed to represent whaling and (here I go again) theyve called for more accurate population determinations

Quote:
The sanctuary was illegally forced upon countries who are in a voluntary organization
. Is that what you call a vote driven decision? Even though Japan has been trying to stack the electorate with sympathetic nations who dont even have seacosts, they didnt manage to win any turn over in 2004.

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:11 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
1WHY ARE WE DWELLING ON FISH. ARE YOU STILL CONFUSED AS TO PHYLA?.

Farmer, the hypocrisy would be too much to bear but I'm more concerned with your mental state.

This from your previous post.

Quote:

ALL fishing needs to be assessed for sustainability and by not agreeing to amoratorium until the sustainability numbers are determined is national hubris and Japan is not practicing in good faith.

Your facts are sound, are they? Japan is responsible for the collapse of the cod fishery.

Quote:
My facts are sound ,

Are they really?

Quote:
The United States has a poor record of ocean management. The current system allows fishery managers to completely overfish one species and then quickly move on to start overfishing another species. This is a horrible way to manage our precious ocean resources. Instead of managing one species at a time, the United States should take a look at the entire ocean ecosystem and manage fishery resources with that in mind.

http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/campaigns/oceans/threats/overfishing

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:47 am
@msolga,

Quote:
Greenpeace has slammed a radical proposal put forward by the International Whaling Commission (IWC) that could see commercial whaling reintroduced in the Southern Ocean.

A small group of IWC nations, including Australia, has released draft recommendations which include bringing scientific whaling under the commission's watch, reducing catches from current levels, establishing caps on whale takes over a 10-year period, and improving the animal welfare aspects of whaling

I'm looking for more information, more details, on this forthcoming proposal to the IWC. There is not a lot of information out there at the moment. I have to admit I have a number of serious concerns at this point.
Anyway, here's the transcript from a recent Radio Nation (Australia) program, with a number of participants expressing environmental & animal welfare concerns, discussing the proposal.

Quote:
IWC unveils plan to manage scientific whaling
Updated February 23, 2010 20:55:59

A radical plan to overhaul the International Whaling Commission is gaining momentum. The draft plan would give whaling nations a commercial kill quota, as opposed to harvesting whales in the name of research. The plan is part of a compromise proposal to try and break the impasse between the pro and ant-whaling nations. But conservation groups say the plan is a disaster for whale conservation, and even if Australia blocks the deal the concern it may be a lone voice.

Presenter: Sarah Clarke
Speakers: Nicola Beynon, Humane Society International; Professor Don Rothwell, Australian National University; Bob Brown, Australian Greens Leader; Patrick Ramage, International Fund for Animal Welfare

SARAH CLARKE: After two years of behind-closed-door negotiations, the International Whaling Commission has unveiled an ambitious plan that it hopes will deliver a new regime to break the ongoing deadlock. The most controversial recommendation is to bring the so-called scientific whaling under the management of the IWC.
The commission currently has no control over this research program but under this proposal Japan, Iceland And Norway would be given a quota for the next 10 years. Conservation groups say that legitimises the scientific sham. Nicola Beynon is from Humane Society International.

NICOLA BEYNON: It would throw away the global moratorium on commercial whaling for the next 10 years. It would allow whaling in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. It would legitimise that for the first time and it's even contemplating allowing a quota for humpbacks in Antarctica; it's just appalling.

SARAH CLARKE: The proposal has been developed by a small group of IWC nations including Australia Japan and the United States. While the Commonwealth says it remains opposed to any scientific whaling in the Southern Ocean, critics say the fact that the IWC draft has made it this far, with Australia playing a key role, shows the compromise could be endorsed. Greens Leader Bob Brown.

BOB BROWN: Look who's on that working group, Japan and Australia to start off with and you don't get to a draft proposal without the agreement of the people on the working group. So it's going to be discussed in the United States. We know that the Obama administration has been entertaining this sort of idea and you know the best spin we can on this is that the Rudd Government is being nobbled by Tokyo in the International Whaling Commission. It's time they got out and got some, and spoke to a few Australians and got some common sense back into it.

SARAH CLARKE: Last week, Kevin Rudd issued Japan an ultimatum - agree to a compromise before November or face legal action. If a deal can't be struck - Australia and Japan will be heading to the International Court.
But professor of international law Don Rothwell from the Australian National University says if this proposal is endorsed then legal action is no longer an option.

DON ROTHWELL: Well presumably it would provide Japan with the basis to undertake some form of commercial whaling in some of the world's oceans, therefore leaving the Southern Ocean free from the current Japanese scientific whaling program and as a result of that, any Australian attempt to pursue these matters through the International Court would be rendered moot.

SARAH CLARKE: Parts of the IWC's draft proposal have received some support, including creating a Southern Atlantic whale sanctuary. But the real test will be when it's presented to an inter-sessional meeting in Florida next month, then the IWC's annual talks in Morocco in June.

Patrick Ramage from the International Fund for Animal Welfare says anti-whaling nations like Australia have a big role to play in coming months if this deal is to be blocked.

PATRICK RAMAGE: Many concerned about the future of whales and whaling around the world tonight are saying you know, Advance Australia Fair. This is a opportunity for the Rudd Government that's been rhetorically so strong on this issue and literally put its money where its mouth is in terms of protection of whales and the promotion of non-lethal research around Antarctica.

This is an opportunity for the Government of Australia to provide some leadership and insist, together with other like-minded governments that Japan, Iceland and Norway negotiate more seriously than they have up to now.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/asiapac/stories/201002/s2828297.htm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:23 am
@JTT,
Ever heard of the COD WARS?. Thats wasnt a single country. Japan had been an unwelcome guest fisher (along with the old SOviet) in our territorial waters. Im happy that in 2004 we finally got some balls and began adjusting our own resources , and, along with Canada put on the cod moratorium.
Japan had been in the Gulf of Maine and GrndBanks still fishing until the Canadian Coast Guard "escorted sveral fctory ships out

Quote:
the hypocrisy would be too much to bear but I'm more concerned with your mental state
Thats a nice cheap shot. Ive noted herein that ad hominem comments are usually a sign of exhaustion. If you notice, I WAS RESPONDING TO YOUR OPENERS ABOUT THE FISHING WORLD (NOT JUST WHALES), talk of bait and switch. I know why you are trying diversion, because the entire Japanese position is tenuous (legalistically) rather than being based upon major international concensus. The majority of IWC members are uncomfortable with the Japanese fraudulent position.
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:52 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Thats a nice cheap shot. Ive noted herein that ad hominem comments are usually a sign of exhaustion. If you notice, I WAS RESPONDING TO YOUR OPENERS ABOUT THE FISHING WORLD

I didn't discuss the fishing world until you brought it up in Post: # 3,916,667, Farmer. Even when the facts are right there in front of you, you play fast and loose with them.

The Cod Wars, yes, here's an interesting little article. Another of those hypocritical western nations trying to bully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

=================

And furthermore,

The lack of supporting evidence for such a necessity is problematic as the ICRW stipulates that amendments to the Schedule shall be based on scientific findings and that amendments shall only be made when "necessary to carry out the objectives and purposes of the Convention" and that "the interests of the consumers of whale products and the whale industry" shall be considered.[5]

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 02:02 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im happy that in 2004 we finally got some balls and began adjusting our own resources ,

Yeah, we don't want no damn feriners overfishing our fish when we can do a damn sight better overfishing 'em ourselves!

Quote:

Status of Fishery Resources off the Northeastern US
NEFSC - Resource Evaluation and Assessment Division

Summary

Gulf of Maine cod spawning stock biomass has increased since the late 1990s from 11,100 mt in 1997 to 20,500 mt in 2004, but the stock remains low relative to SSBMSY (82,830 mt). Fully recruited fishing mortality declined to about 0.35 in 2000 and 2001, but has since increased to 0.58 in 2004, indicating that F continues to remain very high relative to fully recruited F reference points (F0.1 = 0.15; Fmsy = 0.23; Fmax = 0.27). Thus, the stock remains in an overfished condition and overfishing continues to occur.

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/sos/spsyn/pg/cod/
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:04 am
Page 28 is where I entered.

Ms Olga asks my opinion of overfishing Post: # 3,913,718

I replied:
Overfishing - bad bad bad, and bad. [and not the focus here, or so I'm told.

MsO: Seriously, you believe over-fishing the oceans is OK?
No, it's not the main focus of this thread as you would probably have noticed, but that doesn't mean it's not a subject of serious concern that shouldn't be discussed at all.

JTT: Japan makes more use of more things from the oceans than probably any other nation on Earth. While all these "righteous" nations were using fish stocks for fertilizer or just dumping them back overboard as waste, Japan was using them for food.

MsO: Japan does indeed make more use of "things from the ocean" than many other countries do. Many would argue far too much use. Including severely depleting tuna stocks in the Pacific & other oceans. Many conservationists & also countries whose off-shore fish stocks have been affected by over-fishing by the Japanese take constant issue over this. Japan has been fined for over-fishing.

JTT: Japan isn't perfect. Japanese fishing fleets aren't either. But Japan hardly stands alone as the only country that has depleted fish stocks.

MsO: Indeed, Japan is by no means the only nation which has depleted fish stocks. But it is by far the worst offender.

http://geociti.es/RainForest/4620/overfishing.htm

Dadpad: WHO POSES THE BIGGEST THREAT TO FISH STOCKS?
Of all the countries, Japan poses the greatest threat to the depletion of fish in the seas. Japan is the world's biggest consumer of fish and is under pressure to play a more active international conservation role and discourage its suppliers from overfishing the high seas. Tsukiji market, in Tokyo, is an extraordinary mortuary for global sea life, of whom are provided for a national appetite for fish that exceeds all others. The Australian bluefin tuna is expected to fetch about $15, 000 each. These enormous prices influence Japanese fisherpeople to sail past the government-set boundaries of Australia's waters and illegally fish there, hoping to catch as much as possible so to make a fortune.

Not only do the Japanese pose a problem for other countries' fish stocks, but also threaten the world's fish stocks as a whole. Each day, tens of thousands of tonnes of marine life, prised from rocks and scooped from oceans by factory ships working 24 hours a day, are auctioned in the early hours. There is a vast range, including trays of tiny translucent squid, crates of oysters, clams and molluscs. Also apparent are tanks full of salmon, snapper and octupus. Varieties of bonito, tuna and marlin are high in demand and most will end up on serving plates as fastidiously prepared sushi or sashami. Japan's taste for seafood is astonishing and only appears limited by price and availability. The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation estimates Japan devours 30 per cent of the world's fresh fish, close on 80 kilograms a year for each man, woman and child. Australians manage just 18 kilos.

Southern blue fin tuna
Quote:
The United Nations International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea in Hamburg granted an injunction sought by Australia and New Zealand, barring Japan from raising its annual 6,065-tonne quota.

The injunction restricting Japan to quota catch limits agreed between the three countries,

Dadpad: Japan admitted several years ago it had illegally taken more than 120,000 tonnes of southern bluefin tuna, but the actual figure is believed to be much higher.

JTT: [replied with info on whaling]

Farmer: Look whats happened to sword fish , red snapper,and Atlantic Cod and Chilean "Sea Bass" The numbers of the cod alone were considered "uncountable" and until the two years before the population crashed, fishing was going on unfettered.

Setanta: @dadpad,
Eighty kilos a year ? ! ? ! ?

Jesus wept, that's a half a pound a day. I think i'd get tired of fish rather quickly on a regime like that.

Really, that's just obscene.

JTT: It's quite easy to count whales, as compared to say cod, sea bass, ... .

[Then the gloves came off. After all the distortions and what I believe were some racist rants, I replied.]

I pointed out the distortion put forward by MsO and Dadpad that Japan was the greatest consumer of seafood products. It's not possible given the population of China. And I didn't even include the amounts consumed by Hong Kong or Macao.

I pointed out that the USA is the third largest consumer of seafood. There's often the argument raised that Japan doesn't need whale meat. The USA doesn't need to import from all over the world 80% of its seafood. It has an ample land base and plenty of beef, pork and poultry. So much for that specious argument.

There was no response from anyone on these important issues,
Except for Farmer, who wanted to let me know that a whale is not a fish.

Setanta: It is not only appropriate to point out that whales are not fish, but also to make a distinction between wild food sources, such as whales and fish, and domestic animals.

[I believe MsO asked Set not to discuss fishing, but then she also said,

"No, it's not the main focus of this thread as you would probably have noticed, but that doesn't mean it's not a subject of serious concern that shouldn't be discussed at all."

I returned to a discussion of whaling. I did bring up the duplicity and underhandedness of the USA in their deal with Japan. It peripherally mentioned fishing because that was part of the deal.

Then along came Dlowan.

Dlowan: The fishing can be ignored, and was, I believe, until you began a digression about it, because this is a thread about whaling.

But she didn't ignore it. She went on at some length and took one more opportunity to bash Japan.

If Japan was fishing in Australian economic zone, they would have stopped them. If they didn't, all one can say is they are idiots. But every country has had the same problem.

She ended with, "However, that is not the subject of this thread, and, were I Msolga, I would simply ignore your digressions about it from now on. I shall."

Farmer: Packwood-Magneson has some good stuff in it that maybe you can use, now that JTT has brought it up.

Then came the nonsense from Dlowan: As I said, over-fishing is a digression on this thread, and I think JTT has just brought it up to try to browbeat Msolga.

I'll not be drawn into discussing it on this whaling thread again. [2nd time]

[forgets what she just said]

As I said, though, it looks set to be a global catastrophe, as far as I can see.

And her second posting after this:

Dlowan: @georgeob1,
Well, boats get seized and destroyed and catches are impounded, and nobody has protested that that is done illegally, so I assume that the countries poaching fish take it as a fair cop.

I think the Japanese are to be taken to court over the enormous amount they have taken illegally, so I suppose that will be adjudicated.

By the way......these quotas are having a truly devastating effect on loval fisherfolk.

It was announced today that Australia's last tuna cannery is closing. That's in the local town of Port Lincoln, which is now facing economic ruin.

Australia is (gasp) operationalising tuna quotas set by a (gasp again) international body to which it belongs, and which has reduced the allowed catch for us by 25% in an attempt to regain sustainable tuna stocks.

MsO: Could I please ask again that the issue of over-fishing be the subject of a new thread?

Dlowan: [had at least the honesty to acknowledge her participation, many red face emoticons, but she lacked the decency and the honesty to address my requests about her false statements.]

MsO and Dlowan discussed the merits of starting a dishing thread, with Dlowan throwing out her,

"I am serious about thinking that JTT, for instance, just wants to bait you. He clearly doesn't give a fabulous flying **** about conservation."

one more time.

Farmer: [back with some whaling stuff in an area of the world that MsO had asked everyone to avoid discussing on this thread.

[digression on BofF problems]

Set: In fairness, ladies, i brought up fishing, because i see the exploitation of pelagic wild species in a cavalier fashion as being a part of an irresponsible attitude, the more reprehensible since there are ample, managed livestock resources by land.

I won't bring it up again, and my apologies to Miss Olga.

MsO; Bay of Fundy whale watching video.

MsO: No problem at all, Setanta.

[Dlowan is silent]

[I reminded her of her hypocrisy]

[Setanta and Gunga drop in with more racist remarks]

FM and I resume discussion on whaling. Not a word fro me on fishing.

Farmer: Japan can get along without whales on their sushi menus. They mine the seas and are being asked worldwide to stay outta our territorial waters. WHen the cod were decimated and then the herd crashed. Japan didnt give a crap They moved on to Pacific cod (Whose populations are now being reduced drastically).

JTT: [I replied to these issues on fishing that Farmer raised and guess what comes in his next response.

Farmer: 1WHY ARE WE DWELLING ON FISH. ARE YOU STILL CONFUSED AS TO PHYLA?. But, if you must,

I addressed these remarks and attempted to turn the discussion back to whaling and the IWC.

Anyone with an honest bone in their body should be able to see through this. Whenever it got too hot, out came the "this is a thread about whaling, stop talking about fishing" routine.
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:15 am
@JTT,
Seriously, JTT, I see over-fishing as an important issue. However, despite digressions on both sides, ... yes, I'll acknowledge that .... I see it as a side issue to the main focus of this particular discussion.

I have suggested (as there appears to be interest) that a new thread on over-fishing be created. It really is none of my business who starts such a thread, I know. But I asked Deb is she was willing to do so (because she seemed interested in the subject) & she declined. Now I'm suggesting that you might consider it, given your obvious interest.

I have already indicated I am happy to be a participant in such a thread, because, as I say, I'm interested myself. However I want to maintain the intended focus of this thread. Is that to much to ask?

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:56 am
@msolga,
Id like to be part of a thread on overfishing also. Ive got some strong opinions about ocean resource management. HOWEVER, this aint the thread for it and as Msolga has stated that numerous times, Im not sure why simple courtesy would be part of your quiver JTT. If you wanna make the tread about YOU , youre doing afine job but I , for one, wonte be grug into that fray here.

I know that, diversion is often a nice trick if others yield to it
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:50 pm
More details of the IWC proposal, posted on the ABC news site this morning. I haven't had the chance to read this carefully yet (in a bit of a hurry ) but will comment later in the day, after work.

Quote:
Australia proposes end to whaling
Posted 9 hours 17 minutes ago
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200912/r484912_2488484.jpg

A dead minke whale sits next to the Japanese whaling vessel Yushin Maru after it was harpooned in the Southern Ocean, February 2008. (Australian Customs Service, file photo)

The Federal Government says it wants whaling in the Southern Ocean to be phased out over the next five years and for all whaling to be brought under the control of the International Whaling Commission (IWC).

A proposal has been submitted to the IWC, which also calls for other whaling programs to be phased out over a reasonable period of time.

Federal Environment Minister Peter Garrett says a proposal released by the IWC's working group earlier this week falls well short of any outcome the Australian Government could accept.

Conservation groups have welcomed the Government's proposal, which demands closure of the loophole that allows Japan to conduct so-called scientific whaling in the Southern Ocean.

The proposal also calls for an end to whaling in sanctuaries.

Mick McIntyre from Whales Alive says Australia's proposal is a good step, but it must be emphatic in its demand to stop - not just phase out - the inhumane practice.

"It's great to see that the Australian Government has rejected the original proposal from the IWC, which would have effectively lifted the moratorium on commercial whaling," he said.

"And although short in detail, it's heading much more in the right direction for stopping whaling."

But the Federal Opposition says the Government has given Japan the green light to continue whaling in Antarctic waters.

The Opposition's environment spokesman, Greg Hunt, says the Government has broken its election promise to stop whaling.

"Mr Garrett's proposal is a white flag which gives a green light to Japan to continue slaughtering whales in our waters for the next five years, and to continue slaughtering whales infinitely," he said.

'Extremely regrettable'

But the proposal has angered Japan, who again defended their whaling program.

"It is extremely regrettable that such a proposal was made," said State Secretary of Foreign Affairs Koichi Takemasa, Japan's number-two diplomat after the foreign minister. ...<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/25/2830586.htm
JTT

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:06 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im not sure why simple courtesy would be part of your quiver JTT. If you wanna make the tread about YOU , youre doing afine job but I , for one, wonte be grug into that fray here.

I wasn't the one who tried to make it about me, Farmer, and I really really don't know why you continue with your deceit. You really are a scientist, are you not? I can tell that, but you're not a very level headed scientist.

"simple courtesy" entails being honest. There has been way too much dishonesty from the anti-whaling crew and you have been, if not front and center, at least at the head of the crowd.

I pointed out how you tried to make the suggestion I was the one leading the discussion astray when, in that one case, it was you. And again, you're not even honest enough to admit that when your hand is buried deep in the cookie jar.

In pretty much every case, I moved away from the fishing issue.

None of the anti-whaling, Japan bashing crew have come back to admit that the information given on Japan was misleading, that Japan isn't the only one overfishing, that this is a world wide problem, that pretty much every country has some blame, that the most vocal countries were some of the worst abusers.

Your high-minded pleas sound pretty hollow after what you've engaged in. Perhaps you might start a club with Dlowan.
0 Replies