OUTRAGE OVER WHALING ... #2 <cont>

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 04:04 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
From a Legal perspective I don't see much difference between them.

You said something similar before, George.
How can I spell this out any better than I have?:

Does the Japanese incursion into clearly Australian territory not concern to you, under your understanding of the law of the sea?

Quote:
The right of innovent passage enables a vessel to enter and pass thrugh the territorial waters of another country (within the 12 mile limit) on "innocent passage through a recognized international straight .

If you consider aggressive tailing of another vessel "innocent passage"in another country's territorial waters, I don't, George.
And clearly the Australian government didn't, either.

Quote:
The right of innovent passage enables a vessel to enter and pass thrugh the territorial waters of another country (within the 12 mile limit) on "innocent passage through a recognized international straight .

So what is the legal definition of "innocent passage" under the law of the sea then?
Within the 12 mile limit.

Quote:
Whether the vessel in question is in such a strait near Tasmania I don't know for sure.

Macquarie Island is part of the state of Tasmania. Tasmania is a part of Australia.Surely that's all you need to know when it comes to the law of the sea?

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 06:00 am
@msolga,
If I were menacingly circling Iapetus around some Canajans Scallop dragger off Grand Manaan, Id be visited by the Canajan Coast Gurad in a flash. I was often stopped and once boarded when Id take the quicker (but more dicey) La Tet passage. I think "Innocent Passage" is self explanatory and doesnt mean official indifference to any kind of shenannigans to another boat
georgeob1

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 01:52 pm
@farmerman,
I fully agree. However the shenanagins themselves are a violation of maritime law whether done on the high seas or in territorial waters. That's the point msolga appears to have trouble grasping.

Have you been to Miami? The Bahama channel between Miami and Bimini is almost all within U.S. territorial waters, and it is transited by hundreds of ships daily with no interference from the U.S. The Canadians are a bit more testy about those things than we are.
msolga

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 05:43 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
However the shenanagins themselves are a violation of maritime law whether done on the high seas or in territorial waters. That's the point msolga appears to have trouble grasping.

What we have been discussing were the recent incidents off the coast of Tasmania, George.
Clearly the Japanese vessels were not involved in "innocent passage'.
Not only because of the aggressive tactics employed but also because whaling is clearly illegal in Australian waters ... so whaling ships had no right to be there.
Also, the apparent refusal to leave the area after an official complaint was made to the Japanese government by the Australian government.
So far this summer there has been no news coverage here (or from any other news source I can find) about actual Japanese whaling activities in the Southern Ocean. But when any is available I will post it here.

It seems to me that, as you appear to condone the Japanese whalers tactics in Australian waters, that Sea Shepherd's tactics on the high seas might not be as objectionable to you now, as in the past?

Farmer, good to see you. Welcome back.

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 06:07 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The Bahama channel between Miami and Bimini is almost all within U.S. territorial waters, and it is transited by hundreds of ships daily with no interference from the U.S.

But that's a little different to aggressive maneuvers by any of those ships, yes?
Quite a few ships from other countries peacefully enter Australian territorial waters, too.
msolga

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 06:25 pm
@msolga,
Update:

Quote:
January 14, 2012:

THE three West Australian environmentalists who boarded the Japanese whaling security ship Shonan Maru No. 2 made a mid-ocean transfer to the Customs ship Ocean Protector yesterday.

The Attorney-General, Nicola Roxon, said Ocean Protector was expected to take three days to bring them back to Albany, Western Australia, depending on weather.

Activists transferred to Australian ship:
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/whale-watch/activists-transferred-to-australian-ship-20120113-1pzo5.html
farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 06:26 pm
@msolga,
If a suspiciously acting boat went through GB channel or Abaco, it would not be interdicted?
msolga

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 06:33 pm
@farmerman,
Well if the appropriate authorities of those countries aren't asleep at the wheel, you'd certainly think so!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 07:09 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
the Steve Irwin

Is that that guy who got stabbed in the heart by a stingray.

If so, one of the worst exploiters of animals ever.
msolga

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 07:16 pm
@JTT,
That's who Steve Irwin was, yes, JTT.

But in this instance it's the name of one of Sea Shepherd's vessels.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:35 am
@msolga,
Some posters on your whale thread don't necessarily follow the general animals thread, so I'm re-posting here a link to the page (please see post on top of page, then scroll down for additional details) and to the "Whale FM" radio station: http://able2know.org/topic/89445-616
> and >
http://whale.fm/whales
http://whale.fm/images/whale_logo_1.png
msolga

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 04:24 pm
@High Seas,
Thanks, High Seas.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 07:47 pm
Thank heavens it's over for this year! Neutral

Quote:
Whalers return home after poor season
by North Asia correspondent Mark Willacy and Matt Peacock
Updated March 10, 2012 10:28:16/ABC NEWS

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/1945562-3x2-700x467.jpg
The Yushin Maru hauls in a captured whale Photo: The Japanese fleet is heading home with less than 30 per cent of its quota. (www.customs.gov.au)

Japan's fisheries agency has told the ABC the country's whaling fleet is heading home after catching less than a third of its quota in the Antarctic.

Speaking to the ABC in Tokyo, the Japanese Fisheries Agency revealed the fleet finished its hunt three days ago.

The agency also confirmed the fleet caught 266 minke whales - less than 30 per cent of its quota.

The whalers also harpooned a single fin whale, despite having a quota of 50.

The Sea Shepherd conservation group, which harassed the fleet in the Antarctic, says it is a massive victory for whales.

Despite receiving a special budget boost of $30 million to fend off Sea Shepherd, the Japanese whalers were repeatedly obstructed by the activists.

Sea Shepherd activist Paul Watson says the whaling fleet's premature pullout is an unambiguous victory and it is high time the Japanese whalers learnt their lesson.

"This is the Southern Ocean whale sanctuary. What is it about the word 'sanctuary' they don't understand?

"You know you do not kill whales in a whale sanctuary."

Mr Watson believes that, sooner or later, Japan will realise it is wasting its money.

"I think it's been a very successful campaign. I predicted they wouldn't take over 30 per cent and they got 26 per cent so we were right on that one," he said.

"We chased them for 17,000 miles and took three of their three harpoon vessels out of the game so they really didn't have the opportunity to take that many whales."

'We'll be back'

Mr Watson says the whalers may be back next year, but so will Sea Shepherd.

"As long as they're going into the sanctuary, we will be there to protect the whales in this Southern Ocean whale sanctuary," he said.

"We'll be back next year with four ships. We're going to come with two scout vessels in the event that we lose one like we did this year.

"The scout vessels are the key. They'd hardly taken any whales if we hadn't have lost our scout vessel. But we'll be back stronger than ever."

He says he does not know how long the whaling battle will go on for.

"I'm hoping that this will be the last year, but I thought last year would be too. So it's really a question of how much money is Japan prepared to lose," he said.

The Federal Government says it welcomes Japan's decision to recall its whaling fleet from the Southern Ocean.

The Government says it remains opposed to commercial whaling, including Japan's so called "scientific" whaling program.

It says Australia will continue its efforts to achieve a permanent end to whaling through the International Court of Justice.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-09/japan-recalls-whaling-fleet-from-southern-ocean/3879998
farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 07:58 pm
@msolga,
not a bad turn of events. I cant believe that the Shepherds were the only reason that the quota was down. Im hoping that the numbers are still at the sustainable level and not reflecting any decline in the species. Thecatches were down for two years so theres that suspicion that a new species census may be in order
msolga

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:14 pm
@farmerman,
Hard to say with any certainty, farmer.
I do know that the Japanese whalers claimed they left earlier than planned last year due to constant Sea Shepherd "harassment".
And (from the little news we've received from the Southern Ocean this year) it seems to have been more cat & mouse manoeuvre between the two.
But maybe you are right, perhaps a new census should be in order.
And perhaps it is high time that the so-called Institute of Cetacean Research released its "scientific findings" accumulated from years of slaughtered whales . Neutral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_Cetacean_Research
farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:17 pm
@msolga,
Youd think that all this "scientific whaling" should be bearing some news other than announcing that the species is in decline
msolga

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:30 pm
@farmerman,
You would expect so, wouldn't you? Wink
So far I believe the major "scientific research finding " has revealed that whales eat a lot of krill.
Mind you, they could have discovered this vital information minus all those whale deaths, just by watching television or Youtube!:

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 09:06 pm
@msolga,
watching a bunch of whales eat krill has a far more sustainable affect to the species than is whacking them and cutting them open to inspect their stomach contents.

This joke of cloaking such hunting by a term "Scientific " is almost beyond belief.
msolga

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 09:12 pm
@farmerman,
It is WAY beyond belief, farmer.
How they've gotten away way with this for years, as a result of exploiting an IWC loophole beats me! Neutral

And it is such a hideously painful death .... by exploding harpoon.
I can't bear to think about it.
Truly awful.
msolga

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 07:48 am
@msolga,
After considering all that depressing stuff, a little inspirational something to cheer us all up.

Are these magnificent creatures or what? Smile

0 Replies