OUTRAGE OVER WHALING ... #2 <cont>

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 04:17 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Many of my and numerous others' threads about serious issues?

If it's not a blood sport, it's a pain.

I am serious about thinking that JTT, for instance, just wants to bait you. He clearly doesn't give a fabulous flying **** about conservation.

Dys thinks it's some sort of Bircher plot.

Would either of them bother with a serious thread about the topic?

I doubt it.

A bunch would read and be fascinated, but not comment.

A few would make it a bun-fight as usual.

And it would die. I am tired of things that I find interesting that just die.

Rob tried to make this thread a genuine exchange of views, and it was enormously exciting to me, because I learned heaps, and it made me really think about the issues.

But that kind of turned to custard for reasons that I can well understand and empathise with.

And why not let serious threads die?

I think we all feel kind of powerless and hopeless about the huge issues facing the planet.

It's too hard.

What do you think?

It's too hard?

You really, seriously think it's too hard to have a decent discussion on, say, over-fishing of the oceans?

If this is true, that's very, very sad indeed, & not exactly a terrific reflection on all of us here.

Maybe conservation issues are hotter potatoes than politics or religion, then?

I can't, for the life of me, understand why this should be so. But if this is your feeling, I'm sorry I put you on the spot about starting the thread, Deb.

"And why not let serious threads die?":

.. & I guess only talk about stuff like smooth or crunchy peanut butter, which don't offend anyone at all? Sigh.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 04:38 am
OK.

Thanks for the discussion, Deb

Back to whales & whaling now, I guess?
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:06 am
@msolga,
Quote:
.. & I guess only talk about stuff like smooth or crunchy peanut butter, which don't offend anyone at all? Sigh

Ill be here , maybe with nothing of value, but with an appropriate amount of passion about a subject that I see very closely in the Bay of Fundy. Here we hve whales being slaughtered by WSI's (Whale/Ship Interactions).
We have Minkes being sliced up like pizzas in the ship channels.
msolga

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:15 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ill be here , maybe with nothing of value, but with an appropriate amount of passion about a subject that I see very closely in the Bay of Fundy. Here we hve whales being slaughtered by WSI's (Whale/Ship Interactions).We have Minkes being sliced up like pizzas in the ship channels.

I'm glad you'll be here, farmer.

What exactly is the situation in the Bay of Fundy? Could you expand a bit?

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:19 am
@farmerman,
I forgot to mention your scientific contributions, here, FP...they are fascinating.
msolga

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:21 am
@dlowan,
Indeed, Deb.

I've learnt so much from you, farmer. It's true. (Even though you probably think I'm sucking up. Smile )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:44 am
@msolga,
Fundy is a close quarters little ocean. Its long and NArrow and has a lot of ship traffic into New Brunswick and Downeast Maine. It a ship channel source for much mineral tonnage because New Brunswick is a source area for gypsum (plaster board rock) and Crushed stone. Other resources include Kraft Paper (raw puped paper boards that are shipped from NB and MAine all over the world, AND, there is a huuuuge fishery. SO, the shipping and fishing and commercial traffic can get chaotic all the way from the Gulf of Maine into Fundy.
As it turns out, Fundy is a summer hole-up for right hwales, Bowfins, Humpbacks, Finbacks, Minkes, some Orcas (Ill include these asa whale),Pilot "whales" and countless schools of dolphins. Its a cetacean nuthouse. You couldnt toss a cat without hitting a whale. SO, theres many whales getting slashed and cut or killed over each summer. The numbers are under reported for some reason and , last summer, the total number in the Fundy and Gulf of Maine region was something like 65 whales killed by ships just staying their courses and not trying to avoid hitting the whales. We had 3 of them wash up in the Eastport ship channel and only one was reported as a "beaching" the other two were just ignored (I suppose that the ship companies have a large influence on the news reporting)

Its sad when you see a yearly "harvest" of whales that add to their decline. The Humpbacks are really in trouble because they are so curious and sorta friendly (they move up to ships and get themselves in trouble when they cant get away from a boat prop. Several of them are hit each year and of those, you can count on two or three deaths (normally they will sink after a few days or they wash up on one of the thousands of Islands in the Gulf.

The problem with Humpback is that even though the hunting jhas ceased, their genetic diversity is flat lined and their actual numbers are not stable because they need a "community" experience for breeding and free gene flow.

Deb's point about reaching a compromise may be the only thing we can hope for until the normal lengths of time it takes for JApan to realize how silly it looks by their duplicitous and fraudulent activity . Just like the Norwegians and Faroians have pretty much been abandoning whaling, we can hope that the pressure of "common sense" will reach the Japanese population as a whole and the practice will gradually die. IWC's goal is to shepherd this eventuality .
As far as JTT's assertions about a groundless case, I think that the Rudd Administartion should concentrate on the negotiations with the spectre of legal action as a final resort. I dont think, as JTT wants you to believe, that Rudd is gonna blab out the points on a case against whaling. The JApanese have been whaling under all sorts of false pretenses and have tried to "Stuff" the IWC with non whaling "vassal" members who Japan could count on a vote in their favor. I get a kick out of the blind eye that the pro whaling supporters cast on Japan in favor of "free trade"
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:15 am
In fairness, ladies, i brought up fishing, because i see the exploitation of pelagic wild species in a cavalier fashion as being a part of an irresponsible attitude, the more reprehensible since there are ample, managed livestock resources by land.

I won't bring it up again, and my apologies to Miss Olga.
msolga

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:36 am
@farmerman,
Thanks, farmer.
Sounds like a fascinating part of the world.
Didn't know anything about it till now.
Thought I'd check out youtube to see what I could find.:

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:37 am
@Setanta,
No problem at all, Setanta.
Thanks.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:22 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In fairness, ladies, i brought up fishing, because i see the exploitation of pelagic wild species in a cavalier fashion as being a part of an irresponsible attitude, the more reprehensible since there are ample, managed livestock resources by land.

I won't bring it up again, and my apologies to Miss Olga.

Damn !! Is this the "honorable" new Setanta ??
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 10:50 am
@dlowan,
Awfully short memory, Dlowan.

Quote:
As I said, over-fishing is a digression on this thread, and I think JTT has just brought it up to try to browbeat Msolga.

I'll not be drawn into discussing it on this whaling thread again.

Quote:
Well, boats get seized and destroyed and catches are impounded, and nobody has protested that that is done illegally, so I assume that the countries poaching fish take it as a fair cop.

I think the Japanese are to be taken to court over the enormous amount they have taken illegally, so I suppose that will be adjudicated.

By the way......these quotas are having a truly devastating effect on loval fisherfolk.

It was announced today that Australia's last tuna cannery is closing. That's in the local town of Port Lincoln, which is now facing economic ruin.

Australia is (gasp) operationalising tuna quotas set by a (gasp again) international body to which it belongs, and which has reduced the allowed catch for us by 25% in an attempt to regain sustainable tuna stocks.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 10:56 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I am serious about thinking that JTT, for instance, just wants to bait you. He clearly doesn't give a fabulous flying **** about conservation.

You don't know your ass from your fuzzy tail and seemingly, your increasingly fuzzy brain. What I give a flying **** about is the enormous hypocrisy, the racism, the willful misuse of facts by people who purport to be honest and interested in science.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:03 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
As far as JTT's assertions about a groundless case, I think that the Rudd Administartion should concentrate on the negotiations with the spectre of legal action as a final resort. I dont think, as JTT wants you to believe, that Rudd is gonna blab out the points on a case against whaling. The JApanese have been whaling under all sorts of false pretenses and have tried to "Stuff" the IWC with non whaling "vassal" members who Japan could count on a vote in their favor.

Why hasn't Rudd, and Howard before him, laid out these issues? Why do something honest when you can simply appeal to sentiment and really get people going.

Quote:
I get a kick out of the blind eye that the pro whaling supporters cast on Japan in favor of "free trade"

Now that's really rich, Farmer, coming from the "scientist".
gungasnake

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:12 am
Killing whales barely made sense 300 years ago if at all; nobody should be killing whales now. You could devise and manufacture substitutes for anything you'd hope to get from whales for less money than whaling takes and you're basically talking about killing apex intelligent creatures which is next to murder.

Anybody claiming whaling to be part of their culture needs to GET a culture.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:16 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Anybody claiming whaling to be part of their culture needs to GET a culture.

That's a good one . . . i enjoyed that . . .
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:30 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Why hasn't Rudd, and Howard before him, laid out these issues? Why do something honest when you can simply appeal to sentiment and really get people going.

You mean something like claiming that youre doing "scientific research"?

Quote:
Now that's really rich, Farmer, coming from the "scientist".
Id be happy to hear why YOU support whaling. Does your politics have nothing to do with it?
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:36 am
@Setanta,
You seem to enjoy a lot of things ignorant, Setanta, and it only seems to be increasing.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:39 am
@msolga,
hasn't been does not preclude isn't now, MsOlga.

I wouldn't bother to get involved in something if I wasn't interested.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:55 am
@farmerman,
I think I laid out my reasons pretty clearly, FM. How did you miss them?

You deny that most of this issue isn't about cute and cuddly. You deny that some of the worst abusers of whales on the planet are now the same hypocrites who want to outlaw it.

You deny that there has been much misleading information intended to malign Japan and the Japanese. Why don't you comment on Setanta's idiotic drivel, on Dadpad and MsOlga both posting an article that was highly misleading and racist in nature?