OUTRAGE OVER WHALING ... #2 <cont>

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
If whaling is to be halted, it should be done via legal international means, not via crazed zealots with bat-boats and "photonic disruptors
Then you disagree with Sam Adams, the philosophy within "Walden Pond" and Martin Luther King?

Sometimes a bit of anarchy is needed to get things corrected. It appears that the IWCis a mere puppet of whaling interests
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
she wants no whales to be killed period
, and I agree with her. The only peoples that should be allowed to harvest whales are the Innuit whose entire culture is based on a few species. Japan doesnt fit that definition even by a teeny stretch of the imagination. The Japanese whaling industry (as we know it today) is a product of Post WWII, its not a legacy activity. EWvery product that whales produce can be made better in other means.

"Sustainability" is a hoolow wqord and its bounds are set (in this case) by smoe dubious research. The AMerican Bison was a species whose numbers in the Eastern forests and the great plains measured in the tens of millions. We xleaned them out of the eastern forests by the early 1700's and almost ran them to extinction by the beginning of the 20th centruy.

There are several whale species taht are teetering on the brink of extinction so the Icelanders and JApanese are turning to minkes and Finbacks (whose numbers, they say, are sustainable to allow whaling for "scientific research".) If thats the case, why does all this whale meat wind up on some fishmarkets counter? What more research must the Japanese engage in to satisfy their scientific curiosity?
I believe that the only reserach thats being done is for new recipes for blubber.

Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:58 pm
@farmerman,
"I believe that the only reserach thats being done is for new recipes for blubber."

I agree.

mebbe they should tax the bejeesus outta whale meat, and pay for some new whale toys or breeding programs or something.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Sometimes a bit of anarchy is needed to get things corrected.

Every vigilante likes to imagine they are the bees knees.

Quote:
It appears that the IWCis a mere puppet of whaling interests

It is an organization that was founded for sustainable whaling, not for the crowd who wants whaling abolished.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:08 pm
The fact that japanese hunt whales in the southern ocean thousands of miles from their own country says something.
I havnt got a problem with japanese (or any culture) killing using eating whales, but i believe they should confine their practice to their own territorial waters.
If they over harvest in their own territorial waters they'll end up with nothing. If they overharvest in international waters WE ALL end up with nothing.
The same applies to long line and tuna fishing.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:10 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
and I agree with her. The only peoples that should be allowed to harvest whales are the Innuit whose entire culture is based on a few species.

So should only the original pig and cow farming cultures be allowed to eat pigs and cows?

Quote:
Japan doesnt fit that definition even by a teeny stretch of the imagination.

So? Why are you suddenly applying this litmus test to whether an animal can be eaten?

Quote:
The Japanese whaling industry (as we know it today) is a product of Post WWII, its not a legacy activity.

So what? I'm not arguing that this is their cultural heritage. Why is cultural heritage suddenly the litmus test for whether an animal can be eaten?

Quote:
EWvery product that whales produce can be made better in other means.

So? There's fake bacon too but I still want to eat real pigs.

Quote:
"Sustainability" is a hoolow wqord and its bounds are set (in this case) by smoe dubious research.

Nonsense. Sustainability is a simple concept that relates to whether an activity can be sustained. Where the lines are drawn can get murky but that isn't important to the argument.

The point was that this is a sustainability argument that has been hijacked by a movement that really just thinks whales are too precious to kill at all, whether or not it's a sustainable kill.

Quote:
The AMerican Bison was a species whose numbers in the Eastern forests and the great plains measured in the tens of millions. We xleaned them out of the eastern forests by the early 1700's and almost ran them to extinction by the beginning of the 20th centruy.

What is your point? This is an example of non-sustainable activity.

Quote:
There are several whale species taht are teetering on the brink of extinction so the Icelanders and JApanese are turning to minkes and Finbacks (whose numbers, they say, are sustainable to allow whaling for "scientific research".)

Well I wish they'd to more myself. They sometimes hunt whale species that I feel are too close to extinction for it to be acceptable.

Quote:
If thats the case, why does all this whale meat wind up on some fishmarkets counter? What more research must the Japanese engage in to satisfy their scientific curiosity?
I believe that the only reserach thats being done is for new recipes for blubber.

If your point is that it is a pretext for commercial whaling I completely agree.

The IWC they joined evolved into an anti-whaling organization and they follow the letter of the laws they agree to but not the spirit of them. Commercial interests are obviously behind the whaling but quite frankly I think they should be free to whale as long as their whaling is sustainable.

I too want to be free to eat what I want, as long as I am not depriving future generations of the renewable resource.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:16 pm
@dadpad,
That's an interesting point about inordinate use of everyone's sea by one nation. I'd personally like to see more regulation to avoid any kind of overfishing and that better establishes fishing rights, and this is why I object to the conservation arguments and organizations being hijacked.

I'd be interested in what you had in mind about territorial waters though. I find it obnoxious that Japan conducts whaling right off the coast of a country that is so obviously distressed by it, so I understand that impulse on that level but what about more pedestrian fishing, do you think that too should be constrained to a nation's territorial waters? And what do you mean by their territory? Because by law that is a very small amount of water and would preclude a lot of kinds of fishing altogether.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:45 pm
Territorial waters, or a territorial sea, as defined by the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea[1], is a belt of coastal waters extending at most twelve nautical miles from the baseline (usually the mean low-water mark) of a coastal state.

EDIT: I made a mistake: The exclusive econimic zone is 200 Nm
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Exclusive_economic_zone
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:47 pm
I haven't checked in here for quite some time as I tend to get anxious and depressed when I come here (this time is not an exception). No one's fault but my own.

Not about whales, but about cetaceans (with a link to whales): last December I watched a movie called The Cove. It is a documentary (maybe you've already discussed it?) about the dolphin hunts that go one in a small town in Japan. This is not a movie for the faint of heart - I spent quite some time hiding my eyes under my coat. But, it does expose the fishermen in this town as knowing that the slaughter of dolphins is something to hide. They were selling the dolphin meat as whale meat. Dolphin meat is extraordinarily high in mercury - much more so than most whale meat. You can buy whale meat at groceries in Japan and often it was dolphin meat that they were buying. And, it seemed from the movie that the government was complicit in the whole thing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
So should only the original pig and cow farming cultures be allowed to eat pigs and cows?
No because pigs and cows are artificially cultivated by hundreds of cultures and whales are WILD and many species are.THREATENED

Quote:
Why is cultural heritage suddenly the litmus test for whether an animal can be eaten?
Because it would help validate your point> As it is, you are trying to defend an ancient practice for modern times for people who only wish to eat whale as a status symbol. SOunds like killing the last egret or the last Bird of paradise to me.

Quote:
So? There's fake bacon too but I still want to eat real pigs.
Your argument is getting more ridiculous as you get more strident. Please refer to my original point of this e'en. PIGS N COWS N LAMBS N CHICKENS,N GOATS, N GUINEA PIGS are all raised under rules of animal husbandry and are raised in masses that are naturally unsustainable to their imediate environment (cf feedlots and enclosures) just so they can be produced in large numbers for slaughter. WHALES are not. You have not, nor has the Japanese whaling industry, nor the IWC, shown us what they consider is a "sustainable amount of killing" The minke has been seen to suffer a marked population dexcline in its Northern Populations. There used to be an estimated 2.5 million of the minkes. Theres a lower population today and hunting is only adding to the decline. If jApan were really concerned about the Cetaceans as a family, they should cease ALL whaling and find out whats driving their numbers down in the wild.

Quote:
Nonsense. Sustainability is a simple concept that relates to whether an activity can be sustained. Where the lines are drawn can get murky but that isn't important to the argument.
Now youre just talking out of another orifice . Sustainability iks VERY MUCH the issue. You are word dropping the concept but dont have any idea what that number is. I say that neither do the Japanese.
We have a term in hydrology called "Safe or sustainable yield" . Its been defined by the USGS to mean "THAT AMOUNT OF WATER WE CAN PUMP WITHOUT GETTING INTO TROUBLE" Its a simple sounding concept but is backed by rigorous measurement , prediction, and modelling.
The IWC and whaling nations have NO IDEA what is sustainable. I find it utterly unacceptable to keep killing whales to find out what the sustainable number is, serve up the carcasses, and then lie to the world that what theyre doing is "scientific research".

By the way, we do have laws in our country that make killing several species for meat, shamanistic decoration and ceremonial use A CRIME.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:03 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
No because pigs and cows are artificially cultivated by hundreds of cultures and whales are WILD and many species are.THREATENED

But we agreed on the part where animals that are threatened should not be hunted. I'm all for sustainability and species conservation remember? And our disagreement was about whether whales should be off limits even if they are not endangered.

There are whale species that are not endangered, but you stated your agreement with prohibiting whaling even in those cases.

So I'm confused as to how endangerment is an argument in support of banning whaling of non-endangered species.

Quote:
Because it would help validate your point> As it is, you are trying to defend an ancient practice for modern times for people who only wish to eat whale as a status symbol. SOunds like killing the last egret or the last Bird of paradise to me.

I don't agree that it would validate my point, and would rather make my own arguments than the ones you think might suit me.

I don't care about the cultural heritage part, if bacon had been discovered today I'd not want any rules about it needing to be my cultural heritage to eat it.

So this is a straw man you are knocking down, I've not claimed this is a cultural heritage largely because my opinion on this would not change if it were.

Quote:
Your argument is getting kre ridiculous as you get more strident.

If you say so, but I bet you are about to go back to using sustainability and species conservation as your argument for your position on how whaling should be prohibited regardless of whether the species are endangered.

Quote:
Please refer to my original point of this e'en. PIGS N COWS N LAMBS N CHICKENS,N GOATS, N GUINEA PIGS are all raised under rules of animal husbandry and are raised in masses that are naturallu unsustainable just so they can be produced in large numbers for slaughter. WHALES are not. You have not, nor has the Japanese whaling industry, nor the IWC, shown us what they consider is a "sustainable amount of killing" The minke has been seen to suffer a marked population dexcline in its Northern Populations. There used to be an estimated 2.5 million of the minkes. Theres a lower population today and hunting is only adding to the decline. If jApan were really concerned about the Cetaceans as a family, they should cease ALL whaling and find out whats driving their numbers down in the wild.

Dude seriously, this started by me saying I oppose whaling on the basis of species conservation but could not subscribe to the more extreme views that say whales should not be killed due to their inherent nature of being beautiful, intelligent etc.

You said you disagreed with my position, then proceeded to invent it (with the cultural heritage straw man) and now you are using species conservation as the supporting argument? That is the part we agree on, how does it support your position on the part that we don't?

Quote:
Now youre just talking out of another orifice .

On the internet, I believe that would refer to typing with your toes.

Quote:
Sustainability iks VERY MUCH the issue. You are word dropping the concept but dont have any idea what that number is.

You don't make any sense. I oppose whaling because I fear it is not sustainable. What the exact number constitutes sustainability has nothing at all to do with my argument (which seems to be a recurring theme in your response).

Quote:
We have a term in hydrology called "Safe or sustainable yield" . Its been defined by the USGS to mean "THAT AMOUNT OF WATER WE CAN PUMP WITHOUT GETTING INTO TROUBLE" Its a simple sounding concept but is backed by rigorous measurement , prediction, and modelling.
The IWC and whaling nations have NO IDEA what is sustainable. I find it utterly unacceptable to keep killing whales to find out what the sustainable number is, serve up the carcasses, and then lie to the world that what theyre doing is "scientific research".

But how is the species conservation argument a support for.... nevermind. This is just too Pythonesque to continue.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:45 am
This is really one of those "never the twain shall meet" issues, isn't it? (Though I suspect Robert was, to some degree at least, playing the devil's advocate for the purpose of a "balanced" argument on a very polarized subject. And you can tell me that I'm completely wrong about that, if you like, Robert.)
But, being on a not negotiable side of the argument, I agree with just about everything that farmer has had to say & has argued over two very long threads here on this subject. Farmer has much more knowledge on particular aspects of whaling than I do. And I defer to his knowledge. For me, the overriding concern is this one, the unnecessary cruelty & distress that whales suffer. I'm posting this quote from Peter Singer because it needs to be said again.
And yes, I know that Sea Shepherd is an easy butt of jokes about old hippies, grand standing, etc, etc .... & all sorts of derision from the folk that don't share the same beliefs. But, when it comes to the crunch, Sea Shepherd puts its self between the whales & the harpoons. They have actually saved many whales from cruel & hideous deaths. No one else does that. More power to Sea Shepherd, I say!:

Quote:
Peter Singer, an Australian professor of bioethics at Princeton University, wrote this:
"I did not argue that whaling should stop because whales are endangered. I knew that many expert ecologists and marine biologists would make that claim. Instead, I argued that whales are social mammals with big brains, capable of enjoying life and of feeling pain " and not only physical pain, but very likely also distress at the loss of one of their group.
Whales cannot be humanely killed " they are too large, and even with an explosive harpoon, it is difficult to hit the whale in the right spot. Moreover, whalers do not want to use a large amount of explosive, because that would blow the whale to pieces, while the whole point is to recover valuable oil or flesh. So harpooned whales typically die slowly and painfully.
Causing suffering to innocent beings without an extremely weighty reason for doing so is wrong. If there were some life-or-death need that humans could meet only by killing whales, perhaps the ethical case against it could be countered. But there is no essential human need that requires us to kill whales. Everything we get from whales can be obtained without cruelty elsewhere. Thus, whaling is unethical."

http://northcoastvoices.blogspot.com/2008/02/peter-singer-argues-that-whaling-and.html
Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:10 am
@msolga,
Peter Singer, as quoted by msolga, wrote:
I did not argue that whaling should stop because whales are endangered. I knew that many expert ecologists and marine biologists would make that claim. Instead, I argued that whales are social mammals with big brains, capable of enjoying life and of feeling pain " and not only physical pain, but very likely also distress at the loss of one of their group.

That, however, is something whales have in common with cows and pigs -- deemphasizing farmerman's argument and reinforcing Robert's. If killing whales is wrong because it's wrong to kill sentient animals inhumanely, then it's much more important to protect your meat against factory farming while it is still a cow or a pig. After all, humans kill non-whale animals at a rate several orders of magnitude as high. And whales, at least, get to live a decent life before ships harpoon them.
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:19 am
@Thomas,
Thomas, I am not going to get into cows & pigs! Sorry. Humans have a damn sight more control over how cows & pigs are reared, how they live, say nothing of how they are killed. Whales are an entirely different matter.
Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:27 am
@Thomas,
PS: I notice that Singer makes a similar point at the end of his full Japan Times article:

Peter Singer wrote:
The Japanese do have one argument that is not so easily dismissed. They claim that Western countries object to whaling because, for them, whales are a special kind of animal, as cows are for Hindus. Western nations, the Japanese say, should not try to impose their cultural beliefs on them.

The best response to this argument is that the wrongness of causing needless suffering to sentient beings is not culturally specific. It is, for example, one of the first precepts of one of Japan's major ethical traditions, Buddhism.

But Western nations are in a weak position to make this response, because they inflict so much unnecessary suffering on animals. The Australian government strongly opposes whaling, yet it permits the killing of millions of kangaroos each year " a slaughter that involves a great deal of animal suffering. The same can be said of various forms of hunting in other countries, not to mention the vast amount of animal suffering caused by factory farms.

Whaling should stop because it brings needless suffering to social, intelligent animals capable of enjoying their own lives. But against the Japanese charge of cultural bias, Western countries will have little defense until they address the needless animal suffering in their own backyards. (Emphasis added -- T.)
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:31 am
@msolga,
I'm sorry if that sounded abrupt, Thomas, but so often when one attempts to address the plight of whales, all these other issues are thrown into the argument. Let's just say I do the very best I can, on most of the domestic farmed animal issues.
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:33 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
But against the Japanese charge of cultural bias, Western countries will have little defense until they address the needless animal suffering in their own backyards.

I think many of us are already trying to address that concern, Thomas. As best we can.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:34 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Thomas, I am not going to get into cows & pigs!

Fine -- let's stick to whales then. But one valid question to ask about whales is why they should be a priority in ones quest to promote animal welfare. And a valid answer to this question is that they should not, given the way we treat animals of other species. Why would you consider this line of reasoning off-topic for this thread?

msolga wrote:
Humans have a damn sight more control over how cows & pigs are reared, how they live, say nothing of how they are killed.

So what? We don't have to rear and kill any animals at all. Take Singer's argument against whaling, and substitute the word "whales" with "cows", "pigs", or "chicken". How is the edited argument any weaker than the original one?
Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:37 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I'm sorry if that sounded abrupt, Thomas

No problem at all.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:39 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
So what? Take Singer's argument against whaling, and substitute the word "whales" with "cows", "pigs", or "chicken". How is the edited argument any weaker than the original one?

No I won't, Because domestically reared & killed animals are a completely different kettle of fish. I would add chickens in there, too. And yes, they deserve ethical treatment, too. There is absolutely no good reason why a chicken or a pig reared for human consumption should spend its life locked up in a cage.