OUTRAGE OVER WHALING ... #2 <cont>

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 04:10 am
@msolga,
... & no, I don't think it's OK for pigs, chickens, cattle to be transported for miles & miles, squashed up together, to eventually meet their death in an abattoir. I don't think "halal" killings of animals to meet the requirements of certain antiquated religious beliefs is OK. And I think the Australian live sheep trade (by ship to the middle east) is unforgivably cruel ... I could go on & on ...

What do you want me to say? That I don't give a fig about how domestically reared animals are treated? That all I care about is whales?
Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:05 am
@msolga,
I don't want you to say anything in particular; I'm asking strictly because I'm curious. And one of the things I'm curious about is how people prioritize the targets of their activism:

Each year, tens of billions of animals suffer and die at the hands of humans, terribly and needlessly. As individual humans, we can only do so much to help them, forcing us to pick our battles. On the other hand, whales make up but a vanishing fraction of suffering animals -- perhaps 0.000,001%. Moreover, wales live comparatively decent lives before we humans kill them. How are anti-whaling protests the best battle to fight?

I'm not trying to change your mind -- just curious to figure out how it works.
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:17 am
Japan, NZ meet over whaling clash
By Kerri Ritchie for PM/ABC News
Posted 2 hours 45 minutes ago
Updated 1 hour 23 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201001/r495515_2591222.jpg
War of words: Sea Shepherd says the Ady Gil (pictured) was not in motion at the time of the incident (Sea Shepherd Conservation Society: JoAnne McArthur)

Government officials from Japan and New Zealand have met in Wellington to discuss who was responsible for a collision between two vessels in the waters off Antarctica yesterday.

Sea Shepherd's carbon-fibre speedboat the Ady Gil was sheared in two in a clash with Japanese whaling ship Shonan Maru 2.

Quote:

New Zealand is handling an investigation into the incident because the Ady Gil is registered in that country.

The Sea Shepherd is adamant the whaling ship is to blame as the Ady Gil was not in motion at the time of the incident.

But Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research (ICR) says the Ady Gil was trying to cut off the Shonan Maru 2.

Japanese whalers say their ship was trying to take evasive action when the incident happened, and say whaling ships had been under "continuous attack" from the Ady Gil and another Sea Shepherd vessel in the hours leading up to the collision.

New Zealand's foreign minister, Murray McCully, has held a press conference in Auckland, saying the collision should be a wake-up call to both sides as someone could have easily died.

He says he wrote to both Sea Shepherd and Japanese whalers before Christmas, asking them to show some respect and restraint, but it is clear no one was listening.

There were media reports in Australia today that Japan was issuing a "stern" official complaint to New Zealand over the incident, but this has been denied by a spokesman for Mr McCully.

Maritime New Zealand and the Transport Accident Investigation Commission are currently investigating the incident and Mr McCully says he expects its progress will be announced later tonight.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key was recently in Japan to foster healthy relations, but New Zealanders, who pride themselves on being green, do not want him to take a soft approach over whaling.

Gillard shocked

Acting (Australian) Prime Minister Julia Gillard says she has been personally shocked by the confrontation.

She has asked the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) to conduct its own investigation and says the results will be made public once it is completed.

"The important point today is the conduct of people in the Southern Ocean. We support the right to peacefully protest, but it is not over-dramatic to say lives are at risk here," Ms Gillard said.

"I've see the video footage of this incident. It is concerning. It is disturbing.

"It seems to me a very lucky escape for the people involved that no one was more grievously injured or something even worse."

She has called for calm judgements to prevail during the operations at sea.

However Ms Gillard has resisted calls from the Opposition and the Greens to send a ship to the Southern Ocean to police the situation.

The Government sent the customs ship Oceanic Viking to the Southern Ocean two years ago to collect evidence of Japanese whaling in preparation for possible international legal action.

But Ms Gillard says a similar move this year could be counter-productive.

"Some might suggest the presence of the vessel monitoring and observing emboldened actions and we certainly wouldn't want to see that," she said.

However the Opposition's environment spokesman, Greg Hunt, refutes Ms Gillard's reasoning behind not sending a ship.

"It's a little bit like the police refusing to go to the scene of a riot because they say to turn up might make things worse," he said.

"There is a major conflict - we've had both sides talk about increased tensions.

"This is the moment for national responsibility, not for the Government to wash its hands."

Legal action

Ms Gillard says the Government reserves the right to take international legal action if diplomacy with Japanese officials fails, and has warned that evidence has already been collected to launch such action.

She says the collision took place within Australia's search and rescue zone, but outside its economic zone.

However Dr David Leary from the University of New South Wales says only a small number of countries recognise Australia's claim to Antarctic territories.

He says any legal intervention could backfire and a worst-case scenario would be an international court ruling Australia's claim to its Antarctic territory is not legitimate.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/07/2787738.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:03 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
I don't want you to say anything in particular; I'm asking strictly because I'm curious. And one of the things I'm curious about is how people prioritize the targets of their activism:

Jeez, Thomas, you ask some hard questions. I suspect you'd get a lot of different answers from different people when it comes to whales.

For me, I'd say that whales are such incredible, magnificent creatures. Not only are they beautiful & extremely intelligent, but they are absolutely awe inspiring. How could we not protect such a magnificent creature when it is under assault? It's simply unthinkable not to. How could we let them die such incredibly painful deaths, only to end up on the shelves of supermarkets of Tokyo? It is not as though whale meat is crucial for Japan's survival.

Mind you, I also believe that less than beautiful creatures (like the Tasmanian Devil, for instance, which is ugly as sin, but endangered) deserve our protection, too.

But why should conservation & animal welfare concerns & the sheer beauty and inspiration of creatures like whales be considered less important than commerce in this world we live in?

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:50 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
On the other hand, whales make up but a vanishing fraction of suffering animals -- perhaps 0.000,001%. Moreover, wales live comparatively decent lives before we humans kill them. How are anti-whaling protests the best battle to fight?

1. There is an entire industry focused on sending whales into extinction (whether they agree or not, its a fact)

2. Whales give NOTHING to our larders or energy sources or other piles of raw materials (Did you know that whale bones are used for fertilizers?)
All these uses can be produced more easily and better by othermeans. The Japnese claim for whales as part of their national "diet" is bullshit. They took up the habit only 50 years ago and, like foi gras the habit is indefensible (IMHO)

3. Whales, like bald eagles represent a small part of the ecosystem the occupy, yet they are a symbol of the wild world that we , as humans seem to claim as a RIGHT to destroy.

4 . Thomas, the whole point is that whales have been decimated by previous hunting, and ontinued killing DOES seem to drop their numbers below some "threshold of noticeability". SO, naturally, whales WOULD be demonstrating that their numbers are lower than say, penguins.

5. Breeding cycles of whales can take 2 or more years and the resulting killing is showing that several species (like humpbacks) are slowly slipping to extinction because their present population may not be sufficiently extensive for viability.

Those are just a few reasons that whales are chosen as a "symbol" of how the humans claim of "dominion over the beasts" aint necessarily a good enough reason to kill these animals. As far as any other animals NOT being considered. This thread was started as "Outrage over Whaling", noit Outrage over Killing Bald Eagles, or Outrage over Killing MManatees. All the other animals that are being hunted or killed also need attention, and I am pewrsonally active in te Pa Saw Whet Owl program. I DO donate money to the Sea SHepherds and I do it proudly. ASOmetimes ya gotta break some glass.
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 07:09 am
@farmerman,
The JApanese attempt to downplay the "Special planetary status" of whales is kinda ludicrous. Theyve taken up a dietary item within the last century and have begun to claim it as a "heritage" . They dont seem to recognize the special sentience and life status of whales (as compared to artificially bred and raised animals like beef).
Robert now seems to state that killing "Minke whales" is ok because they arent as decimated as other species. To provide the Japanese market with blubber "sushi" will take 5 minkes for one Finback, So while Minkes seem to be stable at this time (mostly becaiuse noone has concentrated on hunting them in the past centuries of whaling). Their numbers are steadily declining so, if I understand Robertcorrectly, we should allow the Japanese to hunt unmolested , this species until, it too is on the endangered list? Every 5 animals we kill will rmove something from the genetic diversity of the species, and I dont see the Japanese adding to a gene bank to preserve diversity should their "reearch" be shown to be poor science.

Noone is huntinf Sperm whales (except Innuits and they have no concept of sustainability). The Sperm whales species are slowly disappearing as a function of delayed genetic reaction to centuries of intense hunting. The remaining Sperm whales are almost a separate species from the orib=ginal behemoths of the Days of Mellville. The SPerm whale of today is a veritable "Midget" due to decilnes in genetic variability.
The effect of overhunting doesnt stop and reverse itself when the hunters suddenly stop. The loos of diveraity can be a time bomb that, due to these animals long lives, may not go off for a century or more.

As msolga correctly stated, Im ure e have a two sides of an issue here and, I stand on msolgas side that our demands are NON-NEGOTIABLE.

As far as comparing the intelligence of whales to cows and sheep, sorry Thomas but you have no idea about what you speak.
High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:10 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
.....As msolga correctly stated, Im ure e have a two sides of an issue here and, I stand on msolgas side that our demands are NON-NEGOTIABLE.

As far as comparing the intelligence of whales to cows and sheep, sorry Thomas but you have no idea about what you speak.

NB the last sentence from Farmerman's post has highlight added by me - for the record. Brain imaging shows that except for apes our brains resemble most closely those of sea mamals like whales and dolphins - they and we split some millions of years ago and they returned to the oceans. I'm with Farmerman and Ms Olga on that one, and would be personally very VERY happy to harpoon anyone on that Japanese whaling vessel.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:16 pm
@farmerman,
Do we have any geology threads active? You would know - will post that here though, with apologies if it looks like a minor digression from the plight of our close relatives: http://www.economist.com/world/international/displayStory.cfm?story_id=15207606
Quote:
The new proposal suggests not just that the Hadean should be formalised, but also that a new aeon, the Chaotian, should be recognised as extending extend further back in time than the Earth itself. The Chaotian would begin with the beginning of the cloud’s collapse, be punctuated in the middle with the ignition of the sun and come to an end with the collision that created the Earth-moon doublet in its sort of modern form.....
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 04:27 pm
@High Seas,
International rules of Chrono -strat are that, in order to define a System/series? or stage, there needs to be clear evidence provided.
The "Chaotian" has been proposed ever since weve had clear evidence on the Isotopic clock provided by the mineral "Chaoite" which is of meteroic origin. This proposal by someone in the USGS and ICSC, has languished (its not really of much use in geology since chaoite is one of the first early bolide species that get mooshed up by susbsequent plate tectonics and subduction)

I dont think its gonna have "legs" among chrono-stratigraphic people, since we have several bands of magnetic reversal data and glacial data that are quite hazy below 3.5 by.

In the 2009 Glossary of Geology, the USGS takes credit for this proposal, Im kind of indifferent.

There arent any real geo threads, I just usually jump in and give gungasnake some crap when he posts a "evolution" thread that is based upon his worldview.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 07:06 pm
From today's AGE newspaper:

High seas clash inevitable
DONALD ROTHWELL
January 8, 2010/the AGE

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/01/07/1022207/spooner_opinion_0801_main-420x0.jpg

There are ways to stop whaling other than dangerous direct action.

Quote:
The collision in the Southern Ocean on Wednesday between the Sea Shepherd vessel Ady Gil and the Japanese whaler Shonan Maru 2 has again thrown the spotlight on Japan's whaling activities. Japanese "scientific whaling" has been formally undertaken in the Southern Ocean since 1986, first under the Japanese Whale Research Program (JARPA) and, since 2006, under JARPA II.

Both programs have aimed at taking whales for supposedly scientific research purposes and Japan has asserted its right to do so under the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling. However, Japanese whaling has been the centre of international controversy because of the global ban on commercial whaling that came into force in 1986, and continuing suspicions that its ultimate intent is really commercial whaling under the cover of science.

In the light of this, and the endangered status of whale populations, especially the humpback whale, international environmental organisations such as Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd have protested against the legitimacy of Japanese whaling operations throughout the past decade. Sea Shepherd has intensified its protest actions over the past five years, not only in the number of ships it has been sending south but also in its provocative actions in directly challenging the Japanese whalers.

Clashes have occurred in the past when ships have collided and, while there have been no lives lost, there have been several near misses. The reality is that Sea Shepherd has been operating at the outer edge of maritime law for a number of years.

The Japanese responded first through diplomatic efforts at the International Whaling Commission (IWC), raising concerns over safety of life at sea and "maritime terrorism", and then with the Australian Government, arguing that Sea Shepherd's actions contravened Australian law, and now this summer with the deployment of extra support vessels to protect their whaling fleet.

In this atmosphere of heightened tension over Japan's continuing whaling activities, it was perhaps inevitable that this season, with Sea Shepherd unveiling the futuristic trimaran Andy Gil to pursue the Japanese whalers, that a serious collision on the high seas would occur. It seems a miracle there were no serious injuries or loss of life arising from Wednesday's clash. Nevertheless, there will inevitably be inquiries, investigations and legal action over the incident.

New Zealand is the best-placed country to undertake such an inquiry, as the Ady Gil is registered in that country and Sea Shepherd will probably look to the New Zealand courts to bring civil and possibly criminal claims against the master of the Shonan Maru 2.

In the meantime, the Rudd Government needs to settle on a clear course of action in response to these events. A few weeks after the December 2007 election, ministers Stephen Smith and Peter Garrett released the new Government's strategy for dealing with Japanese whaling. There were three significant aspects of that policy.

The first was to send an Australian Government ship to the Southern Ocean to monitor the Japanese whalers. This took place in early 2008, when the Oceanic Viking was deployed to collect evidence in support of a possible international legal claim being launched against Japan. The Oceanic Viking could again be sent to the Southern Ocean. Its presence would help to calm tensions and possibly save lives.

The second option was to seek legal advice as to possible international court action against Japan to halt JARPA II. The Government already had legal advice from the Sydney panel commissioned by the International Fund for Animal Welfare making clear Australia had a strong claim. This was supplemented by advice from Professor James Crawford of Cambridge University. These legal opinions remain confidential and the Government continues to assert that it is keeping its legal options open.

The third response was to indicate that Australia would commence a campaign to significantly reform the IWC and, in particular, to abolish so-called "scientific whaling". There has been little real evidence of progress at the IWC, despite the efforts of the Australian Government and other like-minded governments, such as New Zealand. This year may well prove to be pivotal for IWC reform and if there is no breakthrough at the June meeting in Morocco, then hard questions will need to be asked as to whether there is any real prospect of reform while Japan maintains its hard-line position on its right to continue scientific whaling.

If this were to occur, the Federal Government would be faced with the prospect of having to choose whether it continued to pursue its diplomatic options and reform of the IWC, or challenged Japan's conduct of JARPA II before an international court.

Any international litigation has risks and a political judgment has to be made as to whether these are worth taking, especially when Australia and Japan have such a close bilateral relationship. However, it is often overlooked that Australia, along with New Zealand, took Japan to an international court in 1999 in a dispute concerning tuna. The relationship survived, as it would in any international court action over whales.

Donald R. Rothwell is professor of international law at the ANU College of Law and was chairman of the Sydney and Canberra panels reviewing the legality of Japan's scientific whaling program.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/high-seas-clash-inevitable-20100107-lwpz.html
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 07:13 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Fine -- let's stick to whales then. But one valid question to ask about whales is why they should be a priority in ones quest to promote animal welfare. And a valid answer to this question is that they should not, given the way we treat animals of other species. Why would you consider this line of reasoning off-topic for this thread?

Especially given that this is the foundation of the Japanese claims of cultural clashes. They eat whales and fish and aren't as big on cows and pigs and suspect that the cultural differences in cuisine are a part of why their are taken to task for animal cruelty for their food.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 07:25 pm
Quote:
valid question to ask about whales is why they should be a priority in ones quest to promote animal welfare.

one reason may be that (some) people percive this (abolution of whaling) as an achievable goal, where as stopping the killing of cattle for food is (probably) not.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 07:32 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
This is really one of those "never the twain shall meet" issues, isn't it?

It is, and to me it's just like the vegetarian vs. meat eater disagreement in that regard. And it's different in that the transnational and transcultural nature of the disagreement means there's a lot less tolerance for the opposing viewpoints.

Quote:
Though I suspect Robert was, to some degree at least, playing the devil's advocate for the purpose of a "balanced" argument on a very polarized subject. And you can tell me that I'm completely wrong about that, if you like, Robert.

That's a human trait I certainly am often susceptible to, and may have been part of my initial motivations for discussing the topic (it isn't a hot button issue for me and these threads are what brought me into it) but I really do think that your position is untenable and that it detracts strongly from a cause I really do care about (which is species preservation).

You may not agree with me about Sea Shepherd being a bunch of nuts, but that's the mainstream view (among those aware of them, of course) of them stateside based on their reality show.

I feel very strongly about "save the whales" when it comes to preserving them from extinction and think that "ecoloons" of that nature seriously harm more moderate causes.

And I really do feel that the arguments used to forward the notion that whales should not be eaten at all (regardless of the concern about species preservation) are hypocritical and logically inconsistent. The argument about their intelligence applies to pigs, the argument about them not being farmed and raised applies to fish.

The bottom line is that all the moral outrage you guys direct at eating whales are things that a typical non-vegetarian is guilty of. So this strikes me as an appeal to emotion that is logically inconsistent. Yeah, the videos of dolphins being killed are emotionally brutal, but so are videos of pigs being killed. And if film makers were trying to do "exposés" on this practice of slaughtering pigs trying to destroy the pig farmer's job the farmers would probably try to avoid giving up the visuals for that purpose too.

But when it comes to food you don't eat, and food you find cute, then it's all about having something to hide and becomes sinister. I think the moral outrage about whaling is largely hypocritical, and I don't think so to play devils advocate. I really like whales, and I really hate seafood my motivations are largely aligned to take up the same position. I don't find whale appealing as food at all, and I find them magnificent so I'd love for them not to be food.

But like the concept of free speech where sometimes you have to defend speech you don't personally agree with I feel that this is a case where one man's meat might be another man's sacred cow and that divesting people of the right to their chosen meat is something that requires intellectually honest arguments. I think species conservation is such a beast but I think the arguments against the concept of eating whales itself applies to differing degrees to all animals we eat and that the outrage is hypocritical in nature.
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 07:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, I'll say it again, Robert. We will never see eye to eye on many aspects of this debate. I won't go over a number of issues that you've raised that we've talked & talked about a number of times already.

I do think that the Peter Singer view (I posted above) that there's no possible way to kill a whale without a very slow & agonizing death is valid. By the same token (given that Australians are hardly about to all become vegetarians overnight), yes, there is a very compelling case for the ethical treatment of animals that are bred for human consumption. The conditions that some "factory farmed" animals must endure are absolutely appalling & should not be legally allowed.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
And I really do feel that the arguments used to forward the notion that whales should not be eaten at all (regardless of the concern about species preservation) are hypocritical and logically inconsistent.

Most of the objections to eating whale flesh (in these 2 A2K "outrage" threads, anyway) have been about the hypocrisy of the Japanese whaling industry. The utterly farcical claims that the annual whale cull in the Southern Ocean is for "scientific research". Everyone knows this is not true. Everyone knows that the catch ends up on supermarket shelves in Japan. Everyone knows that whaling is a commercial enterprise, nothing more, nothing less.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:48 pm
@msolga,
That's true. However both Japan and the nations that have attempted to limit their catch, including prominently the United States and Australia, are also involved in the Farce. This was an explicit part of the agreement we forced on them under threat of sanctions and worse, as Robert Gentel has already outlined.

I suspect the Japanese were - and still are - quite willing to be left alone with catching whales for the explicit purpose of making sushi and using their oil - as they had been doing for many years.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:21 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I do think that the Peter Singer view (I posted above) that there's no possible way to kill a whale without a very slow & agonizing death is valid.

It's not. The truth is that whales can be killed instantly and that they are routinely killed instantly. The average time is similar to other big game hunting. A more accurate argument against whaling methods is that the rate of failure to do so is too high. This study [pdf], which happens to agree with your conclusion that whales shouldn't be hunted, states that Norway achieves an 80% rate of instant kills while Japan's rate is 40% and cites different weather and experience levels of the harpooners as the main difference.

Now to me, 20% still sounds like it's too much but there are a couple of reasons I don't find this argument convincing enough, even if it's one of the objective arguments against whaling:

1) Despite attempts to avoid suffering in farm-reared animals I doubt we can ever achieve 100% lack of pain for them either. So a certain percentage of them are suffering through their process of being reared and slaughtered as well. The bottom line is that all our meat is going to come at the cost of some animal suffering.

2) But let's say I just buy this argument outright and the reason whaling is wrong is because of the cruelty of the methods. Would you, on the other hand, accept others eating whales if said methods were to improve to comparable levels to your favored meat's suffering? I don't think so, and that's why I can't sign on to your position. Because at it's core is one irrevocable tenet: whales are too magnificent to be eaten. And that is just not objective enough of a criteria for me to accept to judge the eating of whales. There are people who feel that way about cows but you don't let that stop you from eating them.

Quote:
Most of the objections to eating whale flesh (in these 2 A2K "outrage" threads, anyway) have been about the hypocrisy of the Japanese whaling industry. The utterly farcical claims that the annual whale cull in the Southern Ocean is for "scientific research". Everyone knows this is not true. Everyone knows that the catch ends up on supermarket shelves in Japan. Everyone knows that whaling is a commercial enterprise, nothing more, nothing less.

Because I'm of the pedantic ilk I'm going to respond to this two different ways.

1) Japanese whalers being hypocritical reflects on their behavior more so than the abstract argument of whether whales should be allowed to be eaten. I am not a huge fan of the Japanese handling of this matter. I think they've been as unnecessarily confrontational as some of their opposition has. But they aren't the only nation whaling, and their hypocrisy does little to indict the inherent act of whaling when other nations that did not bind themselves to the moratorium simply call their whaling commercial.

So we can agree that this is a deceitful position but that doesn't change the argument much. I also object to Paul Watson's deceit, he openly calls it a tactic and wrote that "all confrontation is based on deception." But his deception doesn't influence your opinion on whaling right? Just your opinion on him, and likewise Japanese whaler's behavior doesn't influence my opinion on the act of whaling itself, just my opinion of Japan's whalers.

2) In this part of my response I'd like to add context to the Japanese "scientific research" that I agree is deceitful, but not nearly as much as you probably think it is. So here's the back story to the best of my recollection: Through an organization that was founded to protect sustainable whaling Japan agreed to a moratorium on commercial whaling. It did not wish to do so but the US threatened it with other economic measures if they did not, so they agreed to it and within the agreement they are allowed a quota for scientific kills and these whales are required not to go to waste by the same agreement. Japan's stated research aim is research into sustainable whaling, so it's not completely deceitful either, their stated purpose is to research the killing of whales. They are operating this at what they consider low enough levels to keep this industry alive but prevent the activity from threatening any whale species. They are conducting age/sex studies on whale populations and measuring the impact of their whaling etc.

This was the original spirit of the agreement they signed, the goal of this organization was not to prevent whales from being hunted, but to ensure that the hunts would not drive any whale species to extinction.

The motivation for Japanese whaling is clearly the commercial whaling though, and I agree that this represents a form of deceit and yes hypocrisy if you will. But it's not just because they feel like doing so, it's a convoluted set of reasons and a treaty that makes them use this loophole in an agreement they feel has been hijacked. And to some extent that is also true, this was supposed to be an organization and treaty that aimed to prevent whales from going extinct but is dominated now by cultures that wish to see no whales be hunted at all because their populations don't eat whales and find them too special to eat. Japan doesn't have the land to be a cow and pig country, and whale meat has served them as a source of cheap meat in their recent history (after WW2). This leads Japan to view this as a critical resource, and might explain their reluctance to give it up under pressure.

Norway did not bind themselves to this treaty, but they too imposed a moratorium on commercial whaling while continuing to make a scientific catch and study the stock, gauging it for sustainability. They have since resumed commercial whaling and are bound by no such treaty.

I think that would be a more honorable position for Japan to take, instead of letting it get bludgeoned into an agreement that they'd try to exploit loopholes to but ultimately that wouldn't resolve this debate either. We are always going to get back to the core of the conflict which is the too magnificent to kill argument. And that just leaves us with too magnificent to kill versus tastes too magnificent not to eat.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:39 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Then you disagree with Sam Adams, the philosophy within "Walden Pond" and Martin Luther King?

Yes (inordinately violent process of independence compared to other commonwealth countries), I don't know (not sure what you are referring to), no (his resistance was almost always legal and usually non-aggressive).

Quote:
Sometimes a bit of anarchy is needed to get things corrected. It appears that the IWCis a mere puppet of whaling interests

The IWC was established for the goal of sustainable whaling, i.e. whaling interests.
msolga

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:20 am
@georgeob1,
I'm a lot less familiar about whaling in the northern hemisphere & the US sanctions. (This thread has been largely about whaling in the Antarctic region & largely from an Australian perspective) But I've done a bit of catch-up reading. More information would be good, though.

But I'm wondering, though, what sorts of a response is appropriate (& would have any impact on the whalers) from those countries who are IWC members & wish to support the 1994 ban on commercial whaling? Obviously diplomacy has gotten us nowhere. And there's no argument that "scientific whaling" is simply a guise for commercial whaling.

Quote:
Since Japan began hunting whales under its so-called scientific program, IWC member countries have passed at least 19 resolutions calling on the country to end its whaling. Conservationist-minded countries have objected to Japan's whaling program on several fronts. Aside from the lack of quality science produced from the hunts, conservationists point out that some of Japan's whaling is conducted in an IWC-designated whale sanctuary.

http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/whales/pro_whaling_nations/japan/hsus_asks_us_to_level_sanctions.html

What should the international response be to commercial whaling in a designated whale sanctuary? This, apart from everything else, is what upsets many Australians. Personally I think it's outrageous.

I would argue that the Japanese whaling industry has simply chosen to disregard the IWC's ruling and has continued with business as usual. And that any "limiting" of the Japanese whale catch (& I'm not sure how limited it actually has been) has been due to the efforts of organizations like GreenPeace, Sea Shepherd & other animal welfare/rights organizations' very effective publicity campaigns on the issue. Not as a result of the Japanese attempting to do "the right thing". They are simply getting away with as much as they can get away with, in my opinion.

And as to the IWC ... well it's a toothless tiger, a joke from a conservationist's perspective. It is a body that was set up to regulate the whaling industry & hasn't been at all effective in protecting whales. (Which has been the major contributing factor in the "whale wars" we've witnessed summer after summer in the Southern Ocean. And which led to the US sanctions, too.) As has been said time & time again on the 2 whale threads here, the sooner there's some properly constituted world body with teeth in control of whaling & other issues related to protecting our oceans, the better.

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:28 am
@msolga,
Sorry, Ive been away on a task and wont be finished till late this PM, (EST). Ill have to catch up at that time.