Pissing off the Parents

squinney

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 05:10 pm
I have several sisters. It is amazing how differently we remember our childhoods, especially specific events. Most often, personality alone seems to have determined our varying perceptions.

We talked often as teens of writing a book with each of us presenting our own story based on point of view - like three separate books presented as a series. In talking about it, we recognized that some things would be difficult to broach with certain family members still living. I don't know that that would have stopped us, it was just an "Oh, yeah, we'll have to deal with that."

We wouldn't want to harm anyone. We love our family members. It's just that I think even then we were aware of how if the same story can be told three different ways, obviously there is no truth. Therefore, it would be even more entertaining and eye opening as long as it's done in love.

Hmmm... I need to call my sisters.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 05:39 pm
Wow, Miklos, you're a published author! I'm not that surprised, though I don't know if you'd already mentioned that or if it just seems to follow from what I know of you.

Your advice is very good, thank you.

Squinney, speaking of published authors... I was honestly blown away but what you started to write here, and I think you're eminently publishable.

Excellent point, DrewDad. My main problem is that if I write I imagine my audience -- I have a hard time writing completely internally. In college, my audience was my professors and classmates, that was easy enough. Hmm, one of my professors has said that he would be more than happy to be a sounding board at any time in the future -- one of those great, inspiring, "you can do it!" professors -- so maybe I'll write with him in mind and go from there.

Roberta, also very good advice, thank you. Clarifying.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 06:58 pm
Agreeing on Squinney's writing voice..

This all reminds me of Oscar Lewis' Children of Sanchez. Anyone read that? (Story of a family in Mexico City with segments from various family members.)
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:06 pm
What Squinney says is really important.

"If the story can be told three different ways, obviously there is no truth."

Squinney, if you and your sisters write of the same people and events exactly as you remember them, you are each telling the truth. Maybe you could add one word to your excellent sentence, making it read

"If the story can be told three different ways, obviously there is no one truth."

That truth can have such variety (even conflict) and depth is, for me, one of the most exciting aspects of writing. If the truth in a memoir were somehow like the truth in 2 plus 2 is 4, such a memoir would be very flat and not seem the least bit real. Memoir, or any good piece of writing, is more along the line of 2 plus 2 is 5: the details are so varied and resonant that the effect of the work feels greater than the sum of its parts.

Squinney, I think your idea of three sisters' composing memoir is really fascinating. It would be hard, as are all co-operative artistic projects, but it might be easier if you all agree on topics; then, after you each have written about them separately, combine them in one manuscript in groupings of three. Wish I had two siblings, or even one. I'd be right on this!

Sozobe, you already have developed your own voice. I can hear it in your stories. That's the big sine qua non for a writer. Next, as you surmise, is to semi-define the audience. Early on, I was advised to pretend that I was simply writing to an intelligent friend. This particular imagined audience has worked well for me and quite a few others.

Also, my primary editor is my beloved wife. She studied Art, not Lit, but that doesn't matter at all, because she's an excellent reader. She seems to go right to the places I most need reaction on, and she has great suggestions. You don't need to have a professional edit your work--a kindly and tuned-in spouse or friend who likes to read can do really well. If you do interest a publisher, he or she may insist on final edits by a professional, but he or she will be paying for it.

Drewdad is correct: you write first, then think about publishing. Even experienced authors can choke if they constantly focus on publication. Focus on the art and the FUN first!
0 Replies