Help with a parking ticket...

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:20 pm
I live in Memphis and was given a ticket for parking in a handicap parking spot the other night. Problem is I wasnt in the handicap spot. I was parked in the spot next to it(I was sure to take pictures with my phone when I came out and saw the ticket). Every handicap spot in the shopping center has a wheelchair painted on the spot and this one did not. Nor was there any sign.

My problem is I was driving my mothers car (shes from north carolina). And the ticket was given to the car. Is it possible for me to dispute this ticket? I've been told by some we could just mail in a letter disputing it with pictures, etc etc. And others have said if I were to just go to the court house and show the pictures and such it would be thrown out. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. 100.00 for something I didnt do wrong just doesnt sit well with me. Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 423 • Replies: 2
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:44 pm
I would call the court house and ask what the proper method is for contesting a parking ticket. The clerk who answers the phone will tell you waht to do. I think you have the right to contest the ticket and it was wise of you to take pictures.

If however, the judge finds that you did indeed park illegally he/she may even reduce the fine.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:18 pm
Was the ticket in NC?

To "contest" the ticket will probably require, at a minimum, that you physically appear at a trial.

This is not to say you may not be able to contact the prosecuting attorney prior to the trial, mail photos, explain the situation, and convince them to dismiss the ticket. It's unlikely, though. And you might not even be able to speak to the prosecutor prior to court .... depends on the jurisdiction.
0 Replies