Women can't jump

noinipo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:32 am
There is an argument brewing over women's ski jumping. It exists but not in the Olympics. Adding another sport with a tiny group of athletes makes for a good discussion.
This brings me to one of my pet peeves. I don't know how many male or female ski jumpers there are. I can't be more than a thousand, living in a few countries.
Every four years another ski jump tower has to be built for millions of dollars. It seems a gigantic waste of money; nobody besides those special athletes can use the jump.
If a ski slope is built for the Olympics, it can later be used by thousands of competitive skiers and by billions of ordinary citizens. It is there for the common good. The ski jump is the exact opposite.
With one exception. In Bergisel, Austria, the great Iraqi architect Zahaa Hadid built the most beautiful ski jump that includes a restaurant in the very top.
there are 135 active women ski jumpers from 16 countries. This compares with 34 women from 10 nations in snowboard cross, 30 women from 11 nations in skier cross and 26 women from 13 nations in bobsled.
The former mayor of Salt Lake City is travelling to Whistler on Friday to make her case that organizers of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games are discriminating against women by excluding them from ski jumping events.
Deedee Corradini, the president of Women's Ski Jumping USA, told CBC News on Friday that she believes it's sexist to exclude women from competing in the event, and the decision will leave a smear on Vancouver, which will host the 2010 Winter Games.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/01/04/bc-womenskijumpers.html?ref=rss
http://www.architectureweek.com/2003/0528/design_1-2.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 625 • Replies: 0
No top replies