France's "Anne Frank" diary hits the bookshelf

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:30 am
Quote:
France finds its own Anne Frank as young Jewish woman's war diary hits the shelves

Jason Burke in Paris
Sunday January 6, 2008
The Observer

It starts like any other young woman's diary - with a description of hobbies, a first boyfriend, schoolmates and trips to the country - but it ends like few others. The final words are 'the horror, the horror, the horror'.
This week The Journal of Helene Berr will arrive in French bookshops. The harrowing story of a young Jewish girl in occupied Paris, will be, according to the newspaper Liberation, 'the publishing sensation of 2008'. Two years ago, an account by another French Jewish writer, Irene Nemirovsky, who died in Auschwitz, sold hundreds of thousands of copies and sparked a fierce debate.

With her family, Berr, died in the concentration camps, among the 70,000 Jews deported from France in the Second World War, often with the help of the French police or officials.
'We thought everything had already been said on the Jews under the German Occupation,' said Michel Lafitte, a French historian who described the journal as 'incredibly rich'.

Berr, already being dubbed 'France's Anne Frank', is very different from both her Dutch counterpart and Nemirovsky. Her manuscript lay untouched for 50 years before being discovered by archivists from France's Holocaust Museum.

She was 21 when she started her diary in 1942 - only a few weeks before Nemirovsky died. Cultivated, steeped in Russian and English literature, from a wealthy old French family and a keen violinist who attended the Sorbonne University, Berr starts her diary with an account of picking up a signed copy of the works of poet Paul Valery from his home.

The early pages of the diary are full of descriptions of the countryside around Paris - 'I went to gather fruit in the upper orchard ... the blue sky and the sun made the dew drops sparkle and joy flooded through me like a spell', she writes.

'She is barely aware of her Jewish identity, the war has barely touched her and she is largely unaware of what is happening elsewhere in Europe,' said the book's editor, Antoine Sabbagh. 'She is in love for the first time. But then things start to change. The book reads like a novel, but with a terribly sad end.'

In one powerful passage Berr describes her first experiences wearing the yellow stars that Nazi laws forced French Jews to wear, of being chased from the park in front of Notre Dame cathedral, of her close relatives arrested by French police and humiliated, of Parisian streets emptied by the round-ups of Jews.

'We are living hour by hour, not even week by week,' she writes. Instead of fleeing she works as a volunteer at a holding camp for children whose parents have already been deported. 'They play in the yard ... repugnant, covered in sores and lice. Poor little kids,' Berr confides to her diary, recounting how her co-workers beseech her to flee France while there is still time.

The nightmare gets closer and she realises that her life might end 'somewhere in Upper Silesia' and in 'just a few weeks'. 'People are speaking about suffocating gas that they use on the convoys which arrive at the Polish frontier. They are rumours but there must be some truth in them,' she writes.

The diary becomes a work for posterity, above all to leave her fiancé, Jean Morawiecki, who has escaped France to fight with the Free French from England, something to remember her by.

'I know why I am keeping this journal,' she writes. 'I know that I want it to be given to Jean if I am not here when he comes back. I don't want to disappear without him knowing everything I have been thinking about while he has been away - or at least a part of it.'

The diary stops on 15 February 1944. The last entry describes an interview with a deportee who recounts the journey Jews take across France - 'from Bordeaux, from Nice, from Grenoble' - in French railway cattle wagons with 16 straw sacks as beds for 60 people, each given four potatoes and a pound of beef to last them six days. Berr knows what awaits - 'The Germans have one aim, to exterminate' - and reflects on how they hold a door open for her on the Paris Metro but are ready to deport her to her death tomorrow.

The final page recounts a visit Berr received from a former prisoner of war in Germany who tells her of the persecution of Jews he saw there and of the mass execution of sick captured Russian soldiers. 'The horror' is the final word. Berr was arrested with most of her family a few weeks later and died in the Belsen death camp, a few days before it was liberated by the British army.

The manuscript was given to Berr's fiance as she had wished after the war's end. Her niece, Mariette Job, decided to publish it. 'That way, the soul of Helene still lives,' she said. 'It is a very vibrant soul that is full of light.'
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,363 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:57 am
http://i11.tinypic.com/6yoctfp.jpg
(The Observer, 06.01.08, page 29)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:58 am
http://i8.tinypic.com/82s6tr6.jpg
(Le Dimanche, 30.12.07, page 29)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:58 am
http://i6.tinypic.com/8a04nih.jpg
(Le Figaro, 03.01.08, page Littérature 7)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:03 am
Wikipedia France on Hélène Berr - not mentioned in other languages yet.

Report (foreword) in Le Nouvel Observateur (in French only as well)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 10:45 pm
Are you truly fascinated with Jews that died in WWII during the Nazi occupation of Europe? This is not your first WWII Jew posting.

Are you making a point in context of what?

I don't see any postings from anyone rehashing the Dresden bombing, or the Nuremburg Trials. Not being Jewish yourself (and descended from "free farmers"), what is your motivation with these posts?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:14 am
Foofie wrote:
Are you truly fascinated with Jews that died in WWII during the Nazi occupation of Europe? This is not your first WWII Jew posting.

Are you making a point in context of what?

I don't see any postings from anyone rehashing the Dresden bombing, or the Nuremburg Trials. Not being Jewish yourself (and descended from "free farmers"), what is your motivation with these posts?

I'm a German, I'm a historian, I'm friend with some in the Central Council of Jews in Germany, member in a local and a regional research group re Jewish history ...

I've started more then 320 threads.
Are you going to question my intentions for all of them now?
And why exactly do you think that I or anyone else should give the reason(s) for creating a thread?

This has been in the news. I found it interesting and thought it should get a larger attraction.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:33 am
Dadpad, the Big Australian, wanders casually over to stand shoulder to shoulder with his good mate Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:50 am
:wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:51 am
Foofie wrote:
I don't see any postings from anyone rehashing the Dresden bombing, or the Nuremburg Trials.

There are some (older) threads on these topics here.

Besides that, I've written some articles in a history publication about the Kiev trial (with more to follow some time later).

Foofie wrote:
descended from "free farmers"

Why do you mention that, Foofie?

[The German word 'Bauer' covers both, peasants and farmers. The Hintelers were 'freie Bauern' (free peasants/farmers'), otherwise they couldn't have signed documents.] The name is Saxon/Bructeri origin, meaning "behind the fields".]
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 03:38 am
The hinterland is the land or district behind the borders of a coast or river. Specifically, by the doctrine of the hinterland, the word is applied to the inland region lying behind a port, claimed by the state that owns the coast. The area from which products are delivered to a port for shipping elsewhere is that port's hinterland.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:41 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foofie wrote:
I don't see any postings from anyone rehashing the Dresden bombing, or the Nuremburg Trials.

There are some (older) threads on these topics here.

Besides that, I've written some articles in a history publication about the Kiev trial (with more to follow some time later).

Foofie wrote:
descended from "free farmers"

Why do you mention that, Foofie?

[The German word 'Bauer' covers both, peasants and farmers. The Hintelers were 'freie Bauern' (free peasants/farmers'), otherwise they couldn't have signed documents.] The name is Saxon/Bructeri origin, meaning "behind the fields".]

You don't get the point. I don't think Americans are rehashing the history of the Dresden bombing, or the Nuremburg Trials, because perhaps most Americans are willing to allow that phase of history to fade into the background, so as not to remind Germans of today of either event. Perhaps it would bring up sensitive feelings for them?

And, just because Germany today has a Jewish community of mostly ex-Soviet Union Jews does not mean that all the Jews in the world feel comfortable with Germans discussing Jewish topics. In the perception of some, it might just smack of an attempt to minimize the fact that the German community of pre-WWII Germany was effectively eliminated. Those were the assimilated Jews that were quite different than the ex-Soviet Jews of today. An analogy might be when Americans of Anglo background show an interest in Native American history, quite willing to forget/ignore that there were many within many generations of Anglo Americans that considered Native Americans aliens in their own land.

You see Walter, Germany is not the United States of America. While the United States of America is not necessarily made up of all philo-Semitic people, there is no history of a Jewish genocide. So, if some Christian/Gentile studies/writes on Jewish themes, the American Jewish community doesn't wonder if this is some attempt to whitewash American Jewish history.

In effect, many in Germany got what it wanted in the first half of the 20th century, which was an industrialized nation that is prosperous (and sans Jews). However, the original Jewish community, that gave it Oppenheimer and Einstein wasn't valued, so even though there are some ex-Soviet Jews (looking for a better standard of living than what they can get in Russia) in Germany today, I question whether Germans should just not try "to have their cake and eat it too," so to speak. Meaning, the original German Jewish community, that some perceived as an economic threat to the German Volk, was effectively wiped out, and now Germany is economically prosperous. So, it is irritating to me to hear native Germans talk in a manner as though Germans discussing Jewish themes were always so philo-Semitic. Why not let time pass, like Spain is not now besmirched by the expulsion of the Jews 500 years ago. I personally think the loss of the original German community is too recent for Germans to show an interest in Jewish themes.

And, my mentioning the free farmers is because you mentioned your ancestry can be traced back to free farmers in the middle ages. Meaning, if you were alive during the Nazi era, you would have passed all tests at pure Aryanism. So, if you don't get it, I can just say, "You're a fine one to discuss Jews. All the dead German Jews of the pre-WWII community, may not have picked you as there spokesman. Perhaps, they would have rather been here to speak for themselves about that era."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:49 pm
dadpad wrote:
Dadpad, the Big Australian, wanders casually over to stand shoulder to shoulder with his good mate Walter.

Should we also discuss the sterling history of Anglo Australia's history with its indigengous people? Let's not.

Also, let's not talk like one is in a western movie dubbed with Australian slang.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 05:42 pm
Thanks for the article Walter.

Foofie. Walter isn't bringing it up. The diary is being published. That is news. You can pretend it isn't news or that Walter has some hidden Jewish agenda but that only plays badly for you. You look like an arrogant a*hole.

I find this statement by you interesting foofie
Quote:
Perhaps, they would have rather been here to speak for themselves about that era."

By publishing the diary the people of that era ARE speaking for themselves.

Walter has not offered commentary on the era in this thread. Walter has only provided the news that people from that era can be read if someone really wants to let them speak for themselves.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:09 am
Foofie wrote:
Should we also discuss the sterling history of Anglo Australia's history with its indigengous people? Let's not.

Also, let's not talk like one is in a western movie dubbed with Australian slang.

Why not? If that's in the news and someone thinks it's worth mentioning?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:45 pm
parados wrote:
Thanks for the article Walter.

Foofie. Walter isn't bringing it up. The diary is being published. That is news. You can pretend it isn't news or that Walter has some hidden Jewish agenda but that only plays badly for you. You look like an arrogant a*hole.

I find this statement by you interesting foofie
Quote:
Perhaps, they would have rather been here to speak for themselves about that era."

By publishing the diary the people of that era ARE speaking for themselves.

Walter has not offered commentary on the era in this thread. Walter has only provided the news that people from that era can be read if someone really wants to let them speak for themselves.

Do the analysis with me. I don't hear any newsy comments about the history of the British surviving the V-2's in WWII, nor anything else about the Allies and Germany regarding WWII. I can't help but feel that's because there is a certain respect regarded the other European countries, and their possible sensitivities, about that era in the war with the Nazis.

So, if one doesn't care about another person's sensitivities, one can make that person the topic of conversation, regardless if that person wants to be a topic in their conversation. In effect, it's my feeling that Germany (not individuals) reflects a certain level of audacity to think that 60 years after the Final Solution, the next generation can study the victims of that Final Solution as though they are studying an academic subject. No, Germany was the originator and the practitioner of the Final Solution. It is not inconceivable to think that many Jews really find it audacious for Germany to treat Jews like an academic subject. If this was commented on by say, someone of Danish citizenship, I'd think many Jews would think that the Danes, having saved every Danish Jew in their country, might still be interested in Jews.

When a native German comments about Jews, it is not based on "some hidden Jewish agenda" (your point above), but more likely on an inability to face the fact that Germany got what it wanted (a prosperous Germany Juden Frei of German Jews), and now it doesn't have the good manners (or perhaps audacity) to just not talk about their prior victims, since victims or descendants of victims might not think Germany has the ethical right to be commenting on its prior victims (only 60+ years later).

If you think I'm an "a*hole" (your ad hominem above), that is because many Gentiles cannot empathize with the Holocaust as anything more than an historical event, in my opinion.

There's plenty of other news that Germans can bring to the forum threads about Germany's economy, international politics, employment/unemployment, etc., etc. But, "Jews"??? Please, that word should be stricken from their vernacular!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:48 pm
Foofie wrote:
There's plenty of other news that Germans can bring to the forum threads about Germany's economy, international politics, employment/unemployment, etc., etc. But, "Jews"??? Please, that word should be stricken from their vernacular!!

Who are you that you give rules what we can post here?

Or advice me what to post, this case?

This is the 'International News' category, and there's no limitation re nationalty or subject or both as far as I know.

Kush mir in tokhes!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 01:05 pm
Foofie has shown previously his inate nastiness and superficial knowledge.

He tries the censorship position now.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 01:38 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Who are you that you give rules what we can post here?

Or advice me what to post, this case?

This is the 'International News' category, and there's no limitation re nationalty or subject or both as far as I know.

Kush mir in tokhes!

Cute; your German comment sounds like a Jewish grandparent.

Post all you want. I'll continue to have the correct feeling for myself, which is that no one should be surprised if I find your focussing on Jewish themes somewhat inappropriate, in my opinion.

Perhaps you should post something on the fact that the British, while in the air raid shelters, with the V-2's raining down on them in the night, sang songs and maintained calm amongst the women and children. And then relate how the German citizens were somewhat hysterical in their air raid shelters, by comparison, since they never expected to be victims of the war, only conquerers.

In otherwords, to broach a topic like the above would be insensitive to those who remember or heard of the events, in both countries. However, you don't seem to regard the sensitivities of Jews around the world by being the nice German interested in his fellow humans of the Hebrew persuasion. In other words, like it or not, you are not, in my opinion, qualified for the position of Jewish spokesman; German Jew or otherwise. Don't be offended; here in the United States, many job applicants are told politely that one is not qualified for "the position." No hurt feelings, it's just that one doesn't fit the job description. In my opinion (worthless to most, I'm sure), one should not be living in a country that had a Final Solution only 60+ years ago, to fill the position of "Jew reporter."

So, post all you want, but I'm sure I'm not the only person with my opinion. Nothing personal against you. It's not your fault that you are a nice man from the Fatherland. If others don't show agreement in their posting, few have my willingness to be outspoken to my degree. Perhaps, I am not looking for friends.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 02:10 pm
Thank you for posting about this book, Walter.
I find it interesting and will be looking for it.
0 Replies