child support

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:16 am
Confused We live in TX and wanted to know if a father signs his rights over, does he still have to pay child support. He slept with this woman while we were separated and did use protection. A one night stand. We are together and I was unaware of this until the woman contacted him. This child is about 14 months now. She never told him she was pregnant until now. She does not want any financial help and all she wanted was to know if he was the father. So we agreed to do a dna which came back positive. Since he never knew of this pregnancy or child til now and has no emotional ties to the child, if she decides to change her mind what can we do. She has 3 other children from another person, was aware about me and our children and still decided to keep the child because she did not want to have an abortion. So he basically had no choice or knowledge. Is there any document that we can have her sign that says she wants no financial help. I just feel that since he has a good job and gets no support for her other 3 kids that she hit the jack pot with us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 581 • Replies: 9
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:23 am
I believe that if he signs over his rights as the father then someone else can adopt the child. In this case he would have no financial obligations. I'm not an expert on this but I've heard of this before. Is the woman currently with someone?
However, if she does want child support from him she would probably get it.
0 Replies

shanafi2

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:42 am
child support
She is not with anyone...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 07:15 am
Your husband cannot sign away his rights to the child to avoid paying child support. Legally, he should be paying child support.

If the child's mother finds a man who is willing to marry her and adopt her child/children, then the State of Texas would be sure that the child would not become a burden on the the taxpayers and if requested your husband could sign away his rights.

That one night of passion had consequences that wishing won't make vanish.

I'm sorry for you--and, of course, for all the children.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:46 pm
What Noddy said is what I meant. If she were with someone who wanted to adopt the child then he could sign over his rights. However, he has fathered this child and is obligated.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:51 pm
Reinforcing the above statements that the state will not allow your husband to sign off on rights and obligations without someone else picking them up. Someone else has to be willing to adopt so that the state is not responsible for the child.
0 Replies

shanafi2

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 12:11 am
Thanks for the response. I do understand what all of you are saying, but I wanted to know if there was any kind of document that both parties can legally sign. This being that she agrees/accepts him signing his rights away and that she does agree that he does not have to pay child support. I am not defending him in any way and condon what he did is okay. It is not like his intentions were to go out there and father another child. I don't mean to sound ugly in any way. I just feel it is unfair to me and my children and this other child because we did not ask for this. It's not like he was not careful and she obviously was not taking care of herself. If he would have known about this from the very beginning, this situation could have been prevented. I don't know what her intentions were as to why she did not say anything til a year after the child was born. Even then, were heard it as a rumor from others and when we did confront her she denied it at the begining and then a week later admitted it. So I don't know if she assumed she could have a relationship with him or just a free ride. My best interest is our two children and I sure don't want some one else to come and take what rightfully belongs to my children.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:39 am
Unfortunately for you, what's done is done and your husband has another child. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. maybe your husband needs to hire a lawyer.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:52 am
The answer is no. He can not sign over his rights (even if she's willing to do this), unless someone adopts their child.

She may not want child support or ask for it, but if she ever applies for and collects welfare for the child, the government will go after him for the support and she won't even have a choice in the matter.

What's done is done and I'm afraid you may have a long road ahead of you with this situation.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 02:07 am
Re: child support
shanafi2 wrote:
Confused We live in TX and wanted to know if a father signs his rights over, does he still have to pay child support. He slept with this woman while we were separated and did use protection. A one night stand. We are together and I was unaware of this until the woman contacted him. This child is about 14 months now. She never told him she was pregnant until now. She does not want any financial help and all she wanted was to know if he was the father. So we agreed to do a dna which came back positive. Since he never knew of this pregnancy or child til now and has no emotional ties to the child, if she decides to change her mind what can we do. She has 3 other children from another person, was aware about me and our children and still decided to keep the child because she did not want to have an abortion. So he basically had no choice or knowledge. Is there any document that we can have her sign that says she wants no financial help. I just feel that since he has a good job and gets no support for her other 3 kids that she hit the jack pot with us.

Just read this again and am thinking that if the woman has 4 kids and no support, odds are that she will end up on welfare and the first thing they ask is who the father is.
If she's getting government assistance, your husband will pay support until the child is 18, unless of course, someone is willing to adopt the child, but I wouldn't count on that.

Since the child is 14 months already and she hasn't asked for support and still says she wants no support, then she's obviously not after your jackpot.

Your husband made a baby and he should provide for his child!

Maybe you guys didn't ask for this, but neither did the child! Point is that the child is here and they cost money, so who is suppose to support his child?
0 Replies