co-owner of a car

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:00 am
Dear friends,

I jointly own a car with my ex-girlfriend. She doesn't live in US anymore, but I am stuck with having to look after (insurance+maintenance) her car and I have my own car to take care of.

How do I relieve myself of this responsibility. I would like sell the car and pay her, but she doesn't co-operate with that either. What are my legal options? Also, could I be held liable if I let the car sit without insuarance?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ves
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 593 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:28 pm
Be friendly, but be firm and don't take no for an answer. She has no right to expect you to take care of any property in perpetuity, to say nothing of the added expenses of insuring and maintaining something in which you no longer have any interest.

Send her a certified letter which states that you no longer have any interest in part ownership of the car and that by the end of (be generous) sixty days she can do one of the following:
1) allow you to sell the car at or above the Blue Book Rate and send her half the proceeds
or
2) she can find a buyer herself and send him or her to your location to purchase the car at or above the Blue Book rate and pay you your half of the proceeds. (Cash only).
or
3) she can buy your half of the car by sending you half of the Blue Book Rate for the car after which she must have the vehicle moved to a location of her choosing, but away from your property.

Further state that failure to choose one of the above options in the allotted time period means agreeing to option 1.

Wait the sixty days, find a buyer, send her the money.

Joe(Clean up that oil spot on the driveway)Nation
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 09:20 am
Re: co-owner of a car
vessmith wrote:
Dear friends,

I jointly own a car with my ex-girlfriend. She doesn't live in US anymore, but I am stuck with having to look after (insurance+maintenance) her car and I have my own car to take care of.

How do I relieve myself of this responsibility. I would like sell the car and pay her, but she doesn't co-operate with that either. What are my legal options? Also, could I be held liable if I let the car sit without insuarance?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ves

You probably can't sell the car if your ex-girlfriend's name is on the title. No one will buy a car if both owners don't agree to sell.

Every state has different laws regarding auto insurance. As a general rule, you don't have to insure cars that don't go out on the road. That may mean immobilizing your car in some fashion (taking the tires off and putting up on blocks, for instance). Check with your state department of motor vehicles or comparable agency to see what the regulations are in your state.
0 Replies