"What shall we eat, Lord? There are many of us, and there is no food"

"There is food, look, there's a juniper bush over there"

Crowd looks.

Chorus "It's a miracle".
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:05 am
Setanta wrote:
Christ on a f*cking pogo stick . . . you ask questions as profoundly ignorant as this, and yet you are willing to say that you know all there is to know to justify your "faith," and that you will never change your beliefs.

Can anyone say pigheaded? Can anyone say dumb as a f*cking post?

I have never claimed to know all there is to know concerning my faith Setanta. The original manuscripts were written in Greek and Hebrew. That question about English was a mere and obviously lacking attempt at humorous sarcasm.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:49 am
Arella Mae wrote:
I have never claimed to know all there is to know concerning my faith Setanta. The original manuscripts were written in Greek and Hebrew. That question about English was a mere and obviously lacking attempt at humorous sarcasm.[/color]

You miss the point, Jesus didn't write anything in any language (That we know of), surely the insecure living God, (being all seeing and knowing) coulda produced a full set of books in an instant written in every language that was, is and was gonna be. The question is a serious one, why not answer it rather than side stepping and pretending its not worth your time.

"Original Manuscripts", thats a joke in its self. Whats that saying "The older the manuscript, the shorter it is", speaks volumes in itself.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:55 am
BDV,

You expect me to tell you why God didn't do what you might think He should have to make it easier on us? Sorry, I can't. I don't know the reason.

The only thing I can even surmise is that it is based on faith and not proof that God gives to anyone. You can give all the proof in the world to some and they still will not accept it and there are those that require no proof at all. Why? I'd say only God Himself can truly answer that one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:56 am
Arella Mae wrote:
That question about English was a mere and obviously lacking attempt at humorous sarcasm.

So, was English a language at the time?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:57 am
More brain dead evasions.

As BDV pointed out, not even the most loony christian claims that your boy Jesus wrote anything, in any language. For all we know from the highly suspect "gospels," the boy may have been an illiterate.

What a maroon.

What a pathetic maroon.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:57 am
Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
More brain dead evasions.

As BDV pointed out, not even the most loony christian claims that your boy Jesus wrote anything, in any language. For all we know from the highly suspect "gospels," the boy may have been an illiterate.

What a maroon.

What a pathetic maroon.

Common sense would say IF Jesus was and is God then He wouldn't be illiterate. Who said He did write anything? I never made that claim.
0 Replies

vid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:34 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Was English even a language when the original manuscripts were written?

Now that made me spit my coffee.

I'm no historian, but..

Just to answer the question, I have looked it up, and it looks like the language in England at the time was Low German, or something akin to Low German. The divergence from Low German happened around 500ad, when you could possibly say that a separate English language was born.

Arella Mae, may I ask why you were asking this question? If you were picking up on one of the authors "suggestions", it would infer that you were giving credence to such silly logic.

Think about it.

The people who wrote the original manuscripts, and I will bet my life savings on this, had almost certainly never heard of the country that is now England.
As far as the vast majority of them were concerned:
The Earth was flat and it was the centre of the universe. A good wife was worth a minimum of three camels and they had only been around for a few thousand years (3300 ?), the entire populated world as they knew it having all descended from the miniscule human population of a wooden ark.
Events such as the discovery of the Rosetta stone, the drawings sent back to Europe by Napoleon from Egypt, the discoveries made by the Great Belzoni in what is now known as the Valley of the Kings and the subsequent translations of his and other Egyptian drawings and artefacts were not to happen for another 1600 years or more.

Back at the time of these manuscripts being drawn up, they they had no idea that the mighty Egyptian civilisation with its amazing technology (just think pyramids) carried on with little or no interruption from about 5000BC, to the founding of Memphis (no, not Elvis) in about 2950BC, then on to to its amazing Pyramid building phase in about 2500BC (only 800 years after the biblical flood), and on yet further, covering various reigns of various Pharohs, right up until the Greeks invaded, then the Romans, (Julius Caesar chasing Cleopatra, Mark Anthony etc), which brings the timeline right up to AD dates.
Flood? What flood, you may ask?

So, if they were unaware of the mighty pyramid building, stargazing, scholarly, technologically advanced Egyptians and their flood proof
existence, why on earth would anyone be aware of a group of axe wielding English people (Saxons? Britons?), thousands of miles away, living in mud huts and eating berries?

I'm sure the author of this thread wasn't actually being serious about the 'english' manuscripts.

Was he?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:43 pm
Uh, I guess you missed the post where I said it was a mere and obviously lacking attempt at sarcastic humor? Laughing

I took his original question about it being written in English as a sarcastically humorous question and replied in (what I thought was) like manner.
0 Replies

vid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:46 pm
Yeh, I was busy writing. Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:47 pm
No problem! Laughing
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:03 pm
vid wrote:
why on earth would anyone be aware of a group of axe wielding English people (Saxons? Britons?), thousands of miles away, living in mud huts and eating berries?

I'm sure the author of this thread wasn't actually being serious about the 'english' manuscripts.

Was he?

Surely an all seeing, all knowing living God person would be well aware of the "Axe wielding English people", and also the "Future" use of the English Language. The major point here is IF he wanted a Bible for everyone to blindly follow like crazy lunatics, then he "The living God and Creator" would have wrote it himself (The English bit has really distracted yous abit too much.).

As there is no book from him then you must assume that he didn't want one, if he didn't want one then why do so many people take it word for word, and worse again how many "So called" christians are there that actually believe it was written in English. I would bet that percentage is very high.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:53 pm
You are very, very naive if you actually believe that.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:42 pm
Intrepid wrote:
You are very, very naive if you actually believe that.

Why?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:24 pm
Why not?

Just thought I would bring things back to the original question.

What your question boils down to is "why did Jesus not do as I would wish?"

Maybe its just not about you . . .
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:14 am
vid wrote:
John E. Remsburg's The Christ: A Critical Review and Analysis of the Evidence of His Existence, lists the following writers who lived during the time, or within a century after the time, that Jesus is supposed to have lived:

Josephus
Philo-Judææus
Seneca
Pliny Elder
Arrian
Petronius
Dion Pruseus
Paterculus
Suetonius
Juvenal
Martial
Persius
Plutarch
Pliny Younger
Tacitus
Justus of Tiberius
Apollonius
Quintilian
Lucanus
Epictetus
Hermogones Silius Italicus
Statius
Ptolemy
Appian
Phlegon
Phæædrus
Valerius Maximus
Lucian
Pausanias
Florus Lucius
Quintius Curtius
Aulus Gellius
Dio Chrysostom
Columella
Valerius Flaccus
Damis
Favorinus
Lysias
Pomponius Mela
Appion of Alexandria
Theon of Smyrna

Enough of the writings of the authors named in the foregoing list remains to form a library. Yet in this mass of Jewish and Pagan literature, according to Remsburg, "aside from two forged passages in the works of a Jewish author, and two disputed passages in the works of Roman writers, there is to be found no mention of Jesus Christ." Nor, do any of these authors make note of the Disciples or Apostles -- increasing the embarrassment from the silence of history concerning the foundation of Christianity."

In an age where being associated with Jesus or his followers could be a death sentence, it's not surprising if there were few that wrote about Him.

But some did, taking their lives in their hand as they did so.

These men included Matthew, Mark, Luke , John, Paul, Peter, James and Jude.

But, you object, you can't include these guys. What they wrote is in the Bible!

It wasn't 'in the Bible' when they wrote it.

People decided to compile these writings and publish them together at a much later date.

It's circular reasoning to exclude the Biblical authors on the basis that their writings are 'in the Bible'.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:19 am
neologist wrote:
BDV wrote:
The major point here is IF he wanted a Bible for everyone .........., then he "The living God and Creator" would have wrote it himself

Well since the Bible is the most widely read and translated book in human history, it appears that God accomplished the goal without doing it your way, BDV.

Hmmmmm. Wonder how He did that.................
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 03:38 pm
neologist wrote:
Why not?

Just thought I would bring things back to the original question.

Maybe its just not about you . . .

TBH I don't care what this so called Jesus did or didn't do, the question is simple, why not answer it? and why shouldn't it be about me? are you saying I am a non-inclusive to your christian cult. At the end of the day evidence is non-existent to a living Jesus, never mind the so called magic man that yous have blown him up to be, if he was so important then why isn't there even a mention of him in any Roman documents of the day? This man of myth is exactly that.

real life wrote:

Well since the Bible is the most widely read and translated book in human history, it appears that God accomplished the goal without doing it your way, BDV.

Hmmmmm. Wonder how He did that.................

So you say God is lazy and makes everyone else do his work, interesting angle, considering he made the heavens and the earth and all things in it in just 6 days. Yet he can't be bothered to write what he would deem the most important book in history, yet leaves it to a pagan Sun worshipping Roman Emperor to do it for him. Cheers m8 interesting insight. Hail Constantine, the true Christos
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 04:16 pm
Your response to RL and to me shows at least a partial knowledge of the subject. Throughout the centuries there have been examples of those who searched mightily and endured much in order to know the true God as well as those, like the Israelites who escaped Egypt, who had overwhelming evidence and even said they believed, yet subsequently turned away.

Even the majority of those who lived during the time of Jesus were unswayed by his miracles and his winsome teachings. What do you suppose would be the result if he appeared on ESPN to interrupt the Super Bowl with "This Important Message"?

The bottom line seems to be that one must prove the truth of what is written to himself, or herself.
0 Replies