BDV

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:13 pm
A few simple questions:

Why did Jesus not write the bible himself (Surely ending all the debate about the dodgy teachings within it) ?

Why was the bible not written in english (and all other modern and ancient languages, surely a major oversight by God) ?

Why did Mohammed not have the ability to read and write (Then he could have created the Koran himself, rather than other people once he died) ?

Why did God never refer to anything in the future (Some direct references would have been impressive) ?

Why do intelligent people believe in religion of any form when the have obvious corruptions and edits ( and involve abit to much blood and magic) ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,718 • Replies: 52
No top replies

neologist

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:17 pm
Quote:
Why?

Why not?
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:33 pm
neologist wrote:
Quote:
Why?

Why not?

Well that just about answered all my questions, I will sleep better tonite with your great and mighty wisdom, thanx neologist!!!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:41 pm
Well, there is that rumor that jesus did write a gospel of his own...
There's even one by mary magdalene, if we believe the alternative stories.

What I do know is that vatican officials have admitted that they are in posession of texts that they keep secret due to the sensitive contents and the fact that christianity as we know it would be shaken to the core if they were known...
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:48 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

What I do know is that vatican officials have admitted that they are in posession of texts that they keep secret due to the sensitive contents and the fact that christianity as we know it would be shaken to the core if they were known...

Would you have a primary source?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:06 pm
Well, no. But I can see if I find one. I suspect I'm being nailed to a cross if I don't succeed... Confused
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:30 pm
I have it from somewhere that this statement came once upon a time. Finding it now, however, is more work than I am prepared to do. So I guess the best thing for me to do is to just admit that I don't know if I really do know what I claimed to know. That, and go and put my hat on a slow boil...
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:25 pm
Even if you can't find it Cy.. we all suspect it to be true anyway. :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:29 pm
Was English even a language when the original manuscripts were written?

Actually Jesus did speak of the future when he was talking of the end times.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:33 pm
bellsybop wrote:
Even if you can't find it Cy.. we all suspect it to be true anyway. :wink:

Why?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:31 pm
Why not?

Sorry Intrepid, I couldn't resist Laughing
0 Replies

vid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:18 am
Here is an interesting post from another forum (Shibainu from City-Data):

"In the year 325 CE, Constantine (a non-baptized Pagan) convened the Council of Nicea to settle disputes in the Church. The council changed Jesus from man to God in the flesh, they changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, and the Passover was changed to Easter. Among the nearly 200 Gospels circulating in the first three hundred years of this era, the Catholic Church canonized only four. Origen, the great Catholic father, confirms this fact: "And not four Gospels, but very many, out of which these we have chosen."

A partial list of the different books considered by the Church for inclusion were a gospel written by Jesus' own hand; letters and other correspondences written by Jesus; letters written by the "virgin" Mary; Pilate's official report to the emperor of the trial and crucifixion of Jesus, with Pilate's confession of faith; the reply to this from Tiberius, and the trial of Pilate; official documents of the Roman Senate about Jesus; Gospels, epistles, acts, by every single one of the twelve apostles; and official documents of church law and government, written in Greek by the apostles. In his book, Answering Christianity's Most Puzzling Questions, Christian apologist Richard Sisson states:

"In fact, after the death of Jesus a whole flood of books that claimed to be inspired appeared.... Disputes over which ones were true were so intense that the debate continued for centuries. Finally in the fourth century a group of church leaders called a council and took a vote. The 66 books that comprised our cherished Bible were declared to be Scripture by a vote of 568 to 563."

There is no reference to Jesus' death having any redeeming function; in fact, there is no mention of the crucifixion at all. John E. Remsburg's The Christ: A Critical Review and Analysis of the Evidence of His Existence, lists the following writers who lived during the time, or within a century after the time, that Jesus is supposed to have lived:

Josephus
Philo-Judææus
Seneca
Pliny Elder
Arrian
Petronius
Dion Pruseus
Paterculus
Suetonius
Juvenal
Martial
Persius
Plutarch
Pliny Younger
Tacitus
Justus of Tiberius
Apollonius
Quintilian
Lucanus
Epictetus
Hermogones Silius Italicus
Statius
Ptolemy
Appian
Phlegon
Phæædrus
Valerius Maximus
Lucian
Pausanias
Florus Lucius
Quintius Curtius
Aulus Gellius
Dio Chrysostom
Columella
Valerius Flaccus
Damis
Favorinus
Lysias
Pomponius Mela
Appion of Alexandria
Theon of Smyrna

Enough of the writings of the authors named in the foregoing list remains to form a library. Yet in this mass of Jewish and Pagan literature, according to Remsburg, "aside from two forged passages in the works of a Jewish author, and two disputed passages in the works of Roman writers, there is to be found no mention of Jesus Christ." Nor, do any of these authors make note of the Disciples or Apostles -- increasing the embarrassment from the silence of history concerning the foundation of Christianity."
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:44 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Well, there is that rumor that jesus did write a gospel of his own...

BDV wrote:
Would you have a primary source?

Given the basis of christian faith, you don't need proof. We can just have faith that it exists and its true Smile

Funny that christians need zero proof or continuity that their scripture is truth, but if somone offers evidence to the contrary they need proof to debunk their beliefs. And even when you DO present truth to them they still hold to their faith.

Oh... and if we had all the answers, it wouldn't be faith. Shocked or something like that.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:08 am
I find that strange too, curtis.

I wonder about one thing.

If Jesus did come back, present himself to the world as Jesus, the son of god returned, what would happen?

Do you think christians would believe it?
I think they would want proof. Some sort of miracle or something. They didn't just take him on faith the first time around either.

What if he told us that christianity has become a false religion? What if he asked us to forswear christianity and follow him?
How many christians do you suppose would willingly do this?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:44 am
Arella Mae wrote:
Was English even a language when the original manuscripts were written?

Christ on a f*cking pogo stick . . . you ask questions as profoundly ignorant as this, and yet you are willing to say that you know all there is to know to justify your "faith," and that you will never change your beliefs.

Can anyone say pigheaded? Can anyone say dumb as a f*cking post?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:58 am
Laughing

About one hundred years ago the official bible in norwegian was being revised, i.e. adapted to the modern style of norwegian from the old style.

A lot of people objected to this on the basis that they'd rather have the bible the way Jesus talked. Morons the lot of them...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:44 am
Montana wrote:
Why not?

Sorry Intrepid, I couldn't resist Laughing

Cuz :wink:
0 Replies

vid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:50 am
Cyracuz wrote:
I find that strange too, curtis.

I wonder about one thing.

If Jesus did come back, present himself to the world as Jesus, the son of god returned, what would happen?

Do you think christians would believe it?
I think they would want proof. Some sort of miracle or something. They didn't just take him on faith the first time around either.

They couldn't take him on faith, because there were no christians around, if and when Jesus first appeared on the scene. :wink:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:16 am
vid
That's true. But there were peole around, allegedly, who had been awaiting the coming of their saviour for some time.

Those people didn't take it on faith that he was the one they'd been waiting for, did they?
0 Replies

vid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:22 am
No, they probably ran around like John Cleese in the Life of Brian, shouting "It's a miracle!".

That film nails it, I think.

"I hadn't spoken for twenty years and then he turned up" (or words to that effect)

Chorus "It's a miracle".
0 Replies