Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:07 pm
Nope, ya got me, what is odder than that...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:31 pm
Over on Orkut in the gardening forum I belong to we talk about this quite a bit between members from India, Brazil, Pakistan, England, New Zealand and many other countries.

The latest was this item:

http://img3.orkut.com/images/milieu/22/1196420805/30162958.jpg

They have a skin texture that looks like mini pineapples but they are the fruit of the cane tree, the same tree grown for making rattan furniture.

I'd never seen them before and asked what they tasted like. She said
"The nature of the fruit is like that of 'Litchi chinensis Sonn - a fruit from the family of: Sapindaceae (Soapberry family). The taste of the fruit is however very tangy as in concentrated lemon juice. "
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:32 pm
made me pucker.... :wink:
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:15 pm
I never really thought about the number of varieties offered, and how limited we really were till this was brought up. But your'e right.

I have a family that doesn't eat vegetables, and I have a terrible time getting them to eat anything outside the box. If its not a potatoe, a bean or some type of corn, onion or lettuce, I can usually hang it up. That in itself does cause a limitation, and helps with the supply and demand aspect of our grocers on what veggies they display. I know that my family isn't much different from some others....

And here I thought I was doing something big when I finally got one child to eat pumpkin, now I utilize it as a side dish year round, of course...its not fresh, its canned.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:02 pm
have you ever tried CELERIAC ?
it's not the most beautiful vegetable , but has a very distintive - almost nutty - taste .
while it was quite common in europe , we didn't see it here until the 1970's . here , it appeared first on farm markets but now most supermarkets carry it .
when i go shopping , i usually pick up a root - even if it's not on the shopping list . for me , a soup is not complete without a celeriac . it also is very good for flavouring stews .
hbg

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/883/20105211.JPG
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:34 pm
I've seen it and bought it, but it died in the fridge a long wretched death before I used it. Thanks, I'll keep my eye out for it again, Hamburger.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:05 pm
ossobucco :
mrs h uses the better parts of the celeriac right away and puts the smaller pieces in the freezer for soupstock - you do want to trim it well , though !
same for leeks : the best parts go into a soup or stew right away , the rest goes into the freezer for soupstock .
we often buy some ossobucco when it is in the "sales bin" - makes excellent soupstock . cleo and bailey - ehbeth's dogs - agree !
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:33 pm
I could swear I've seen it chopped into little sticks in some recipes, maybe served raw. Will have to go a'googling. Or maybe I'm mixing that up with jicama, which I have eaten..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:43 pm
Just looked up in my old old victory garden cookbook - here's some titles with celeriac:

Celeriac and Apple salad
Celeriac and cooked meat salad

Also lists lots of dressings for raw celeriac

Then, on to boiled celeriac: first you boil it, and then,

Sauteed Cubed Celeriac
Celeriac: Cubes in Cream Sauce
Celeriac Baked with Potato and Cheese
Celeriac Baked with Apple
Breaded Celeriac Slices
Celeriac in Brown Butter
Celeriac with an Avgolemono Sauce

Moving along,
Potato and Celeriac Cake (raw sticks browned and flipped)
Celeriac and Parsnip Stew
Celeriac, Potato, and Cheese Gratin
Celeriac and Potato Puree
Celeriac in the Basque Style
Celeriac and Tomato Soup
Cream of Celeriac and Leek Soup

Well, hey, I'll try it. The book has a page or two on trimming it, etc.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:50 pm
Here's that link, one of my main veggie books -

A2K Amazon link for Victory Garden Cookbook by Marian Morash
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:29 pm
that book.. looks WONDERFUL.

I can not say I have ever heard of a celeriac..

I wonder if they can be found here.

The most extensive veggie selection I have found so far is at Whole Paycheck, which I cant afford.
Is celeriac common?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:51 pm
shewolfman :

during the winter season - like right now :wink: , even so it's raining tonight ! - many of the vegetables being sold in ontario come from TEXAS - including CELERIAC !
hbg

see link - top row centre : TEXAS VEGGIES
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:54 pm
shewolf - are you a member of any of your local food co-ops? that's often a good place to find a wider variety of vegetables.

one pretty good one in your area

http://wheatsville.coop/services.html

with local suppliers

http://wheatsville.coop/local.html

and as an added benefit

http://wheatsville.coop/whyjoin.html

Quote:

Free Business Listings
Advertise your business with a free listing in our Member Business Directory. In each issue of the Wheatsville Breeze and here on the Wheatsville website, you can let other co-opers know about your member-owned business with a free listing in our directory. Wheatsville encourages co-opers to support one another and help keep our community strong by doing business with one another.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:56 pm
Quote:

Groceries
Wheatsville exists to provide the products our members want to buy. That's why we have such a diverse selection. If you're looking for traditional, natural, organic, imported, comfort, ethnic, vegan, fast, home-grown, vegetarian, fun, junk, or gourmet food - you'll likely find it here. And if not, let us know and we'll order it for you.

Produce
Wheatsville carries a full-line of organic, traditional, pesticide-free and transitional produce. We have Austin's best selection of locally grown fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Let Wheatsville be your farmers' market every day of the week! Look for local produce from Amador Farm, P/2 Organics, Hairston Creek Farm, Montesino Farm, and Buena Tierra Farm.

$15 annual membership

7% less than what non-members pay for purchases
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:36 pm
I saw celeriac in both LA and Eureka at places besides Whole Paycheck.

Haven't seen it here yet, but now I'm newly attuned.

If you like that book, you might like another couple I have...

mostly I don't do vegetarian cookbooks, look at regional cooking, and find enough there if I want to go sans meat or its byproducts. Still, I keep some loved veggie books.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:52 pm
Well, my old velvety paperback, Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book, is one I reach for...
ah, but I don't see any paperbacks from 1979 listed. Certainly not those with what look like a stack of rugs on the cover. On mine there is a woman with a cat...

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/qwork/3407234/used/Jane%20Grigson's%20Vegetable%20book
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 12:02 am
Then there's Marlena Spieler, who writes for, or used to, the SF Chronicle, and her book,

The Vegetarian Bistro

But I think I'm way digressing, re the original thread.

I'll circle around to say she can foment joy for varied vegetables.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 12:12 am
I was a somewhat long time member of my co-op in E'ka and before me, unbenownst to me, BBB had a part in making that place work. The one here in Abq, though, is both fairly far away, and when visited, seemed poorly functioning at best. Veggies looked dismal. No, I'm not volunteering to fix anything, too far away. This is too bad, as I've seen a good co-op work.
0 Replies

Jesica121

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 01:28 am
Yes actually it depends where you live. If you are living in big cities you can get everything so you can eat all in small amount which is always best. But if you have little choice no option. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 03:31 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Time to get back to growing our own.

Hear, hear!
It's a very satisfying pastime, too!