Falsely convicted man freed, charged bed/board (England)

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:42 pm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=505428&in_page_id=1770

Any other country this would be a fairytale...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 469 • Replies: 5
No top replies

vid

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:12 pm
You forgot to mention the £252k he got in compensation for false imprisonment.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 03:32 pm
vid wrote:
You forgot to mention the £252k he got in compensation for false imprisonment.

Really don't get it, huh?
0 Replies

vid

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 04:08 pm
You're missing the point, maybe. His comp was probably calculated as £240k ( nice round number) and the rest added on to pay the penal service for their outlay, after all, they incurred cost at no fault of their own.
It would have been wiser to keep them separate, but they didn't, so the guy goes to the press to make a story. How much did he get for that story, I wonder?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:47 am
I'm with Gungasnake on this one - The Govt made the mistake, the Govt pays for the mistake.

"I'm sorry, it seems we've falsely imprisoned you - now you have to pay $12,000 for the mistake we made."

And $252K - what a piddling amount for losing 3 years of your life, losing the growing of your kids, and having your name dragged through the mud. (Normally I disagree with the large civil compensation suits - I see many of them as parasitic, but this fellow deserves a lot more.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:56 am
Certainly he deserves more - but here in Europe they just don't pay it.
0 Replies