Census figures - tv in homes

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:20 pm
Hi - I wonder if anyone can tell me how to find out how many television sets there are homes in USA?

I read the Census figures, but all they could tell was how many TVs there were in the US,...and how many homes there were. Not how many tvs were in each home (on average).

I'd love any thoughts on where else to look for this info.

Thank you so much Smile

jazz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,905 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 05:16 am
Your question puzzles me.

If you know the number of households ("homes") in the US, and the number of TVs, you can calculate very easily the average number of TVs in each home, by doing a simple division sum. You just divide the number of TV sets by the number of homes. If there were 250 TVs and 100 homes, the average number of TVs per home would be 250 divided by 100, which equals 2.5.

Quote:
I read the Census figures, but all they could tell was...

OK. You have the census figures. They told you:

Quote:
how many TVs there were in the US

and...

Quote:
and how many homes there were.

So you have the figures. Do the math. It is quite simple to do with pencil and paper but if necessary you could use a calculator.

Quote:
Not how many tvs were in each home (on average).

I presume the people who drew up the figures thought that it would not be necessary to do such a simple, obvious calculation.

Or you could take the lazy student's way and type "TVs per household USA" into Google, and read through some of the pages you find.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 05:47 am
What I would find equally interesting is how many people have high definition televisions, TiVo, or other recorders that record TV, and home theatre setups.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:51 am
JazzieB123, I just had this funny feeling that maybe you got the figures for number of TVs in America, and number of homes in America, not from the US Census, but actually from a math assignment your teacher has set?

Please tell me I am wrong! If you really think that this is the way to do your school work, and you can't even divide one number by another, you will wind up being a janitor!

I apologise in advance if I am wrong.
0 Replies