Questions about philadelphia

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:53 am
It's that old film Philadelphia.

I have two questions.

1 Why do they say Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love?

2 Why does Joe attempt to go in the hall again when he gets out after hearing the interpretation of the opera by Andy?

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 760 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:02 am
I can't answer the second question because i've never seen the motion picture. However, Philadelphia is called the city of brotherly love because that is literally what the name means. In ancient, classical Greek, philos means loving, and adelphos means brother--therefore, Philadelphia means "brotherly love."

In 1681, King Charles II of England gave a large grant of land to William Penn. William Penn's father, Charles Penn, had loaned large sums of money to Charles and his brother James, and previously to King Charles I, their father. Charles II didn't have the money to repay Charles Penn, who had died by then, so he gave William Penn large tracts of land in North America, which became known as Pennsylvania (adding "Penn" to the latin word for forest, or woods, it means "Penn's Woods."). William Penn had left university to become a member of the Society of Friends, who are also known as the Quakers. They believe that all men and women are equal in the eyes of God, and they preach brotherly love and non-violence. Therefore, the capital of the new colony was named Philadelphia--the City of Brotherly Love.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:11 am
Thank you Setanta!

So "brotherly love" parallels "sisterly love". They're divine. And when they named that city, "brotherly love" has nothing to do with homosexual, officially, at least, I guess. Is it right?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:43 am
Yes. I rather suspect that 17th century Quakers didn't think about homosexuality a great deal, and would have been horrified at the suggestion. "Brotherly love" indeed is an expression meant to describe the love that one man can have for another which has no sexual connotation.

I've never seen the motion picture, but i do recall it was about a man with AIDS. I suspect that there is a pun or two in the film about "City of Brotherly Love."
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:54 am
Setanta wrote:
Yes. I rather suspect that 17th century Quakers didn't think about homosexuality a great deal, and would have been horrified at the suggestion. "Brotherly love" indeed is an expression meant to describe the love that one man can have for another which has no sexual connotation.

I've never seen the motion picture, but i do recall it was about a man with AIDS. I suspect that there is a pun or two in the film about "City of Brotherly Love."

Thank you very much, Setanta, for your very helpful answer!! Idea

That's a VERY MOVING film which made me cry a lot! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies