How low will religion go

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:46 am
Literacy, or the lack thereof, is the problem to which all other problems in education refer. Scientists are not, as FM pointed out, responsible for the inability of any particular school system produce literate children. If they are not literate by the time they reach the middle school level, there is little reason to hope that they will understand either a theory of evolution, or the creationism hogwash when it is presented to them.

Of course, the creationists follow the get 'em while they're young operational doctrine, and attempt to indoctrinate them before they are even old enough to understand the concepts which are involved. This can backfire on them, though. Contrary to popular belief, the young man who recently killed several people in Colorado before turning his gun on himself was not gunned down by a bible-thumping security guard in the church--the forensic evidence is that he shot himself. However, what makes him interesting is that he was a home-schooled Christian.

Chalk one up for the power of faith.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:54 am
real life wrote:
TheCorrectResponse wrote:
R.L.
Quote:

Can Catholic congregants be held liable for forcing their ministers to live under a vow of poverty under the guise of obedience to God's command

Priests don't take a vow of poverty, some monks and nun orders do. Is there ANY area of knowledge where you can't embarrass yourself with your ignorance? Hey we are all still waiting on the other thread for you to answer those questions on the conservation laws I asked you almost a month ago now. Amazing you know how the conservation laws acted at the big bang (even though you don't believe one took place), but can't even NAME them. The same way you know that priests are FORCED to take a vow of poverty!!!

ROFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You obviously can't spot sarcasm when it's straight in front of you.

Of course no one FORCES a Catholic minister to take a vow of poverty.

And no one FORCES those who donate to the Pentecostal preachers (who were the subject of the article) to do so either.

Both do so of their own free will.

That's my point.

Lighten up TCR and perhaps humor won't be so difficult for you to deal with. Cool
I was waiting for that to happen. Good one, RL.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:15 pm
So when you are caught in your ignorance it is either others who missed the "sarcasm" or you just ignore the post. Well, I can admit it when I'm wrong, your NOT a one trick pony, your actually a TWO trick pony.

I guess this is where you pull the other trick and ignore, for about the sixth time (and going on a month now), my questions to you on the conservation laws.

Why don't you finally just admit you are clueless about science. How is it the religious ones who want to judge others, and tell them how they should live, and how they can't have morals or ethics because they are not religious find telling the truth themselves such an insurmountable mountain?

I see in the other post Blatham caught you in your ignorance of Genesis. Gee, I see you are ignoring that post too, who'd a thunk it...Oh, or maybe you were just being satirical again?!

ROFLAMO!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 05:22 pm
So when you are caught in your ignorance it is either others who missed the "sarcasm" or you just ignore the post. Well, I can admit it when I'm wrong, your NOT a one trick pony, your actually a TWO trick pony.

I guess this is where you pull the other trick and ignore, for about the sixth time (and going on a month now), my questions to you on the conservation laws.

Why don't you finally just admit you are clueless about science. How is it the religious ones who want to judge others, and tell them how they should live, and how they can't have morals or ethics because they are not religious find telling the truth themselves such an insurmountable mountain?

I see in the other post Blatham caught you in your ignorance of Genesis. Gee, I see you are ignoring that post too, who'd a thunk it...Oh, or maybe you were just being satirical again?!

ROFLAMO!!!

Your attempted diversion is of no interest to me. That's why it has never received an answer. If you want to establish it's relevance to the topic we were discussing at the time that you brought it up, be my guest.

As for telling you (or anyone else ) that they have no morals because they aren't religious, if you will quote the post where you think that was said, then we can discuss (hint: you won't find such a post).

As for your reference to Blatham, I've no idea what you are talking about, but if you will reference it instead of making vague comments, perhaps it could be an interesting discussion. If your only point is that Blatham and I have different views on the book of Genesis (and you automatically assume me to be in the wrong and he in the right), then save your pixels. We all know that.

btw Hope you are having a great holiday season. Cool
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 05:33 pm
Setanta wrote:
Literacy, or the lack thereof, is the problem to which all other problems in education refer. Scientists are not, as FM pointed out, responsible for the inability of any particular school system produce literate children. If they are not literate by the time they reach the middle school level, there is little reason to hope that they will understand either a theory of evolution, or the creationism hogwash when it is presented to them.

Of course, the creationists follow the get 'em while they're young operational doctrine, and attempt to indoctrinate them before they are even old enough to understand the concepts which are involved. This can backfire on them, though. Contrary to popular belief, the young man who recently killed several people in Colorado before turning his gun on himself was not gunned down by a bible-thumping security guard in the church--the forensic evidence is that he shot himself. However, what makes him interesting is that he was a home-schooled Christian.

Chalk one up for the power of faith.

The Colorado shooting was a very tragic occurence. To be honest, I haven't followed the story very closely at all.

From one report I looked up it appears that his parents are indeed Christians, but he himself may have been just what many A2Kers seem to hope for: a youngster raised in a Christian home that chooses NOT to follow his parents faith.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 06:08 pm
real life wrote:

ROFLAMO!!!

Your attempted diversion is of no interest to me. That's why it has never received an answer. If you want to establish it's relevance to the topic we were discussing at the time that you brought it up, be my guest.

As for telling you (or anyone else ) that they have no morals because they aren't religious, if you will quote the post where you think that was said, then we can discuss (hint: you won't find such a post).

As for your reference to Blatham, I've no idea what you are talking about, but if you will reference it instead of making vague comments, perhaps it could be an interesting discussion. If your only point is that Blatham and I have different views on the book of Genesis (and you automatically assume me to be in the wrong and he in the right), then save your pixels. We all know that.

btw Hope you are having a great holiday season. Cool

OK found the Blatham post.

It is from earlier today, but (mea culpa TCR) I posted in S&R before looking in on the Science forum.

From the tone of your post, it seemed to imply something Blatham had posted quite a while ago. At least you seem to want to create that impression.

In any case, before I got to Blatham's post , Imposter chimed in with a dictionary definition of 'serpent' which showed Blatham's comments for the silliness that they were. (No surprise there.)

To sum it up for those who don't want to hunt it up in the Science forum, the 'serpent' in Genesis 3 doesn't refer to a literal snake. It refers to Satan. I had thought most people knew that.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 12:19 am
short answer - it'll go forever. We're at a point no where a high-school education will absolve you from the laws of nature even if society had the stomach not to... As long as there are free thinkers to lead the way there will be religions lingering in the shadows...
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:00 am
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 09:48 am
real life wrote:
How is it the religious ones who want to judge others, and tell them how they should live, and how they can't have morals or ethics because they are not religious

As to you your not judging others I'll just point the interested reader to the "when does life begin thread" and let them take it from there

Nice dodge.

I asked 'where did I say that someone can't have morals if they are not religious?' and you went back to try to reinforce the other part of your statement that I am not addressing.

This is a classic example of your technique TCR. And a very poor technique it is too.

You'd be better off only making statements that you can defend.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 09:56 am

The Blatham post shows that when cornered with ignorance of the text of the bible

So it's 'ignorance' if someone disagrees with you, is that it?

you get to fall back on your interpretation, YOU get to interpret it to determine what is literal and what isn't.

My view (that the 'serpent' in Genesis is Satan) has been the overwhelming view of the Christian church for 2000 years.

Catholics, Protestants of various denominations, Eastern Orthodox................they ALL interpret the serpent as being Satan.

To pretend that I've come up with a unique interpretation that caught you and Blatham off guard is just ridiculous (unless you really are that bereft of knowledge of the basic teachings of Christianity).

Blatham's huff and puff that I should lay out the criteria for Biblical hermeneutics (as if I've invented some new method that diverges greatly from the historic church) is simply too funny. ( I get a mental picture of Mr Howell on Gilligans Island every time I read Blatham's posts.)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 09:59 am

Funny how we are to accept your analysis of the most complex parts of the sciences, over even that of the experts

You don't have to accept anything I say.

I simply have questions.

You are too timid to question the current orthodoxy. You've made that clear before.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:04 am
That someone would be unethical for big big bucks is not hard to understand when compared to what you will do on a little web forum where everyone has your number. You are a role model of what is wrong with religion

I see. So the greater sin, in your opinion, is that someone dares to speak his mind, even when he knows it will not be popular or accepted. OK. At least we know where you're at.

By the way you can stop the phony concern of how my holidays are going. Several posters have pointed that tactic doesn't pass the smell test.

It is very unfortunate that you can't seem to have a disagreement without turning disagreeable.

Have a happy new year anyway, TCR.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:14 am
I am mystified to know how someone could disagree and not be disagreeable.

I completely agree with TCR's comment about "real life's" phony expressions of regard for people who are strangers to him and who routine express contempt for him because of his dishonesty and mealy-mouthed hypocrisy.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:07 pm
Setanta wrote:
I am mystified to know how someone could disagree and not be disagreeable.

Why?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:41 am
Someone who disagrees with you is being disagreeable. Whether or not you find that offensive is a subjective matter of your judgment. If you are referring to personal slights or a tone you find offensive (the latter case, once again, a matter of subjective judgment), then say so. I find your use of language as hilariously inept as your attempts to use logic.
0 Replies