Can I place a lien on my wife's home?

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 09:11 am
I was married in June of 2000 and my wife purchased a home in May of 2001. We are separated and I can't get her to come to a settlement talk. I, under VA law am entitled to equitable division of marital property. Can I place a lien on the home to prevent her from selling it without my knowledge, thereby undermining my rights?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,435 • Replies: 31
No top replies

McTag

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:38 am
No idea, so this is a bookmark. Good luck.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:42 am
I think you can be granted a court order preventing her from selling.... I don't know about an actual lien. An attorney would know and we have several here... Im sure someone may chime in although christmas Eve they're probably not keeping regular A2K hours...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:23 pm
You should consult with a Virginia attorney about this issue which requires an understanding of Virginia law.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:28 pm
Bear, Sharks don't sleep. It's swim or die....
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 03:47 am
Okay no definitive answers yet, so here's a joke.

It concerns a much-married gent who expressed a desire not to do it again.
He said it would save time if he just found a woman he didn't like and bought her a house.
0 Replies

Shawanga

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:28 am
Thx I needed that
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 11:16 am
Did your wife buy the house with her own funds, and put it in her name only? Unless you live in a community property state, you might have a problem. You really need to ask an attorney about this.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 11:19 am
Quote:
Property Distribution: Since Virginia is an "equitable distribution" state, the marital property shall be divided in an equitable fashion. Equitable does not mean equal, but rather what is fair. The court will encourage the parties to reach a settlement on property and debt issues otherwise the court will declare the property award.

Separate property is (i) all property, real and personal, acquired by either party before the marriage; (ii) all property acquired during the marriage by bequest, devise, descent, survivorship or gift from a source other than the other party; (iii) all property acquired during the marriage in exchange for or from the proceeds of sale of separate property, provided that such property acquired during the marriage is maintained as separate property; and (iv) that part of any property classified as separate. Income received from separate property during the marriage is separate property if not attributable to the personal effort of either party.

http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/virginia.shtml
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 03:41 pm
Uh, am I getting this right that you are going after your wife's property? That she bought with her money? Why would you do that? Did you help her finance it?

A lien here can be put on anything but to me it's extremely unpalatable to go after something someone else bought and paid for.

I hope that's not what you're suggesting; whether it's legal "technically" or not, it's just not right.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 03:49 pm
Well Mame, the people you marry are never the same people you
divorce, so I guess he's after her money.

If she has paid for the property with her own money, paid all
mortgages, taxes, and upkeep separately with her funds, you have
no leg to stand on, Shawanga. However, as it was suggested before,
you should consult a VA lawyer to get a fair settlement.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 03:53 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Well Mame, the people you marry are never the same people you divorce...

That is probably true but it's also sad.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:50 pm
Re: Can I place a lien on my wife's home?
Shawanga wrote:
I was married in June of 2000 and my wife purchased a home in May of 2001. We are separated and I can't get her to come to a settlement talk. I, under VA law am entitled to equitable division of marital property. Can I place a lien on the home to prevent her from selling it without my knowledge, thereby undermining my rights?

She purchased a home? why should you have any right to it? what have you contributed to the purchase and upkeep of the house? have you paid the taxes? insurance? what contribution have you made to the house that makes you getting any piece of it equitable?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:53 pm
I'm guessing he's looking for retribution.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:56 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
If she has paid for the property with her own money, paid all mortgages, taxes, and upkeep separately with her funds, you have
no leg to stand on, Shawanga.

Not necessarily, CJ.

Quote:
However, as it was suggested before,
you should consult a VA lawyer to get a fair settlement.

Yep.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:01 pm
Re: Can I place a lien on my wife's home?
ehBeth wrote:
Shawanga wrote:

She purchased a home? why should you have any right to it? what have you contributed to the purchase and upkeep of the house? have you paid the taxes? insurance? what contribution have you made to the house that makes you getting any piece of it equitable?

I know nothing about VA law, but the simple answer might be: because he was married to her when she purchased it.

My guess is he is going to have to file for a divorce, then he can get a preliminary order or injunction that prevents her from selling it without a court order until property is divided. But as I said earlier, he needs to consult a VA atty.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:05 pm
The law is one thing, TicoM. His thinking he has a right to ask for anything is something else entirely.

I'm asking why he thinks he has the right to expect anything. You know - as a right-thinking human. Of course, I'm assuming that's what he is.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:58 pm
ehBeth wrote:
The law is one thing, TicoM. His thinking he has a right to ask for anything is something else entirely.

I'm asking why he thinks he has the right to expect anything. You know - as a right-thinking human. Of course, I'm assuming that's what he is.

Right. But remember, this is the Legal forum. Relationships & Marriage is over that way ........

(I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to have his balls busted, mind you. I'm just not sure this is the right thread for it. :wink:)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:07 pm
Hold your hats. I'm going to agree with Ticomaya.

I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on tv. (Nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but that's neither here nor there.)

Anyway, if they were married when the property was purchased, and IF she paid for it with her own funds, maybe doing so put a higher financial burden on him in the joint asset / living column of the ledger. If so, he may be able to claim some portion of the home or have the joint assets weighted to reflect his larger contribution to the marriage even if individual funds (such as from an inheretence) were not intermingled.

Just a thought.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:10 pm
Ain't divorce just the most fun......(Never again)

It's real life, and attorneys make the rules.....

Get a good one.

RH
0 Replies