It's hard to quit smoking

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 11:43 am
I have some fresh whitefish, that I'm going to smoke. I usually serve it whole, with a block of cream cheese, and some crackers on the side. Does anybody have a cool recipe for smoked whitefish they want to share?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,341 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 01:06 pm
<Bump>

The title of this thread was a little misleading. Maybe folks will see it again and click. I don't have any recipes, but I'm sure others do.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 01:47 pm
Thank you swimpy.
I saw the hit, and had to do a double take.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 01:50 pm
If someone does come here looking for ideas on how to quit smoking, here is the Oprah site set up to do just that:

How to Quit Smoking

Sorry, no fish recipes.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 02:04 pm
I quit smoking 10 years ago but don't have any smoked fish receipes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 02:23 pm
I like smoked fish a lot... but don't have a smoker..
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 02:35 pm
I get fresh salmon and whitefish from a tribe up north. We prepare, and cook the fish all ways. Smoking it with an alder wood, or wood from fruit trees, is my preferred way. A four to six hour smoke is what I do. That allows enough time for the fish fat to slowly melt and marinate the fish meat. It's a beautiful presentation, a whole fish, head and tail on, laying on a platter. The kids have fun with that aspect too.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 03:28 pm
That sounds delicious, alex. How do you serve it then?
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 03:38 pm
I have this huge oval platter that about twenty two inches wide. I put a bed of romaine lettuce down. Whole fish lays on its side on top of lettuce. I flip the skin from the fish up and back, exposing the fish meat. The more types of crackers, the merrier, Lemon wedges here, and there. Cream cheese block in between the crackers. Little forks in a jar, next to fish platter
When half of the fish is gone, the fish gets flipped over, the skin pulled up and back again, and were ready to go.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 03:48 pm
That sounds reeeeeeally good.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 04:01 pm
You are making me really hungry. I do have a recipe for a smoked salmon spread that uses cream cheese. When I get back home, I'll post it.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:58 am
Sorry, I got busy last night with fruitless baking, Here's the recipe I promised:

Salmon Spread

7 oz. smoked salmon 8 oz. cream cheese
1 Tblsp lemon juice
1 Tblsp grated onion
1 tsp horseradish
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 Tblsp chopped parsley

Combine all ingredients, except the walnuts and parsley in a food processor. Process until smooth. Stir in nuts and parsley.

Put it in a pretty mold that is lined with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Unmold and serve with crackers or bread.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:28 am
Add herbs and spices to your smoking fuel. Variouse amounts will give different results.

Alternativly coat the meat with herb prior to smoking.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:49 am
That's a pretty neat recipe swimpy. The walnut will be the suprise I think.
I have done a rough mix of room temperature cream cheese, garden chives and big chunks of white fish before. The end result was good, but, it wasn't too appealing to the eyes.
Dadpad- When I smoke I have a shallow pan of water in between the fuel, and the fish. Sometimes I load that up with spices, herbs, and even more wood chips.
0 Replies