British Money

Ceili

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 06:17 pm
OK so once again I'm reading a book and I have no idea how to decipher English and Irish currency.
I know that the pound sterling is about 3/1 to the Canadian dollar but after that I'm lost, so...
What is a shilling, a guinea, a farthing, half-penny, pence...?
Is the Irish punt broken down in the same fashion or is this a mute point considering the Euro?
I realize many of these terms may be antiquated but I would still like to know how much they are or were worth.
The Canadian, American and Australian use the dollar and all are equally divided into one hundred pennies. I'm assuming the Euro and other nation with a dollar denominations are the same. If I'm wrong please fill me in.

Thanks for all your help.
Ceili
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,582 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fealola

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 06:18 pm
Beats me! Confused :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 06:47 pm
It depends on the era.

Since 1975, British coinage is "metric". One pound equals 100 pence; one shilling is now the name of a coin (not sure if 5 or 10 pence)
A British friend (who told me how much he weighed in "stones", never on pounds or kilos) said the change was legal robbery.

Before that, 1 shilling was 12 pence; 5 shillings was one crown. So one crown was 60 pence; half-crown, 30 pence. 240 pence (20 shillings or 4 crowns) made a pound.
One guinea was, if I recall correctly, 252 pence. That is, one pound +one shilling. So, half-guinea was 126 pence.

If you ask me how I learned that, those were calculations I had to make to understand Karl Marx's examples in "Das Kapital".
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 08:23 pm
Thank you

I had no idea the Brits had gone metric with money. I'm reading a novel about post war England called "I capture the castle" by Dodi Smith. I have always been mystyfied by the money system in the British Isles, this explanation helps a lot.

I find it interesting the Ameircans and British still haven't converted to the metric system as a whole. I say that as a fairly common canadian who still uses both systems for this or that depending on what I'm measuring.
Ceili
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:34 am
Hi ceili,

fbaezer is pretty well spot on, to be exact it went like this:

farthing = ¼ of a penny
halfpenny = ½ of a penny
Penny
Threepenny bit = 3 pence
sixpence = six pence (known as a "tanner"
shilling = 12pence ( ashilling was known as a "bob"
florin = two shillings ( two bob)
½ crown = two shillings and sixpence known as "half a dollar"
crown five shillings ( known as "a dollar")

ten bob note = ten shillings
pound note = 20 shillings or 240 pence

The reason that five shillings was known as a dollar was that at the time (1950s) or thereabouts, there were four american dollars to a pound sterling.

A typical maths question for a ten year old in the 1950s would be this simple addition:

£ s d
1 10 6
2 11 4
3 16 9

£ s d
7 18 7 answer (seven pounds eighteen shillings and sevenpence

Long division was a ******* nightmare.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:51 am
Ceili, have a gander at this:

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/money.htm
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:00 am
kev wrote:
typical maths question for a ten year old in the 1950s would be this simple addition:

£ s d
1 10 6
2 11 4
3 16 9

£ s d
7 18 7 answer (seven pounds eighteen shillings and sevenpence

Long division was a ******* nightmare.

Shocked I remember it well - and mental arithmetic with sums like that as well! - maths never was my 'thing'
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 12:40 pm
What is a quid then? 5£ maybe???

Auughhhh! I thought we had it tough in school, we changed from learning the imperial system to metric smack dab in the middle of my education.

An aside: weight - is a stone = 14 lbs.
Verra confusing this whole conversion thang.
Thanks,
Ceili
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 12:54 pm
Ok... read the article, 1 pound = 1 quid I get it, nicknames for money.
We have that here in Canada too. We call the One dollar coin a loonie because it has a Loon on it. So the two dollar coin is called, yup, you got it the.......twoonie.
Ceili
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 12:28 am
Hurrah for the Loonie-Toonie Store in Vancouver!
0 Replies