How about: Shangri-Las , Beach Boys, Pete Seeger/(The Byrds), and the Stones
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 08:31 pm
The 1960's known as "Music With A Message"
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 05:41 am
Piffka,excluding "Yellow Submarine",the whole album is faultless.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 03:53 pm
Husker -- Beach Boys... they were wonderful. I think I could sing along with 'bout every song they ever made. And we did forget the Byrds too. I mentioned the Stones... which was your favorite Stones song from the 60's? It seemed like it was hard to love both the Beatles and the Stones, but I tried!

hebba? Absolutely right. Yellow Submarine never got off the dock with me! Dumb song, never even bothered to see the movie (and I know people are going to chide me for that!).
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 03:54 pm
Edgar -- You're welcome!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 04:00 pm
Piffka

I'll do - re 'submarine'!

Beach Boys, Byrds - may I add The Animals/Eric Burdon.

Stones - Time Is On My Side, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Get Off My Cloud, Honky Tonk Woman, I Can't Get No Satisfaction, Paint It Black, ........
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 04:09 pm
I like Brown Sugar a lot but I forget the year.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 05:30 pm
Walter! Of course you can chide... I don't know where it'll get you, but chide away. And take Yellow Submarine with ya! But I like your other songs!

And Husker's, too.

Has anybody mentioned Mustang Sally? c. 1965
I was playing it today (as sung by the Commitments) and cruising down the freeway. Happened to check my speedometer to find I was doing 78 in a 55. Note, that is not like me! I slowed down to 65 just as I passed a patrol car. Whoopsie!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:06 pm
music in the 60's
That was way too HARD! I stuck with MOTOWN because
this is the music I remember most from dancing. It
was oldies already, some of it - but popular still at the
time. Whenever my best woman friend whom I have
known since we were 12 years old! gets on the phone
with me, I always make her laugh by bringing up all
the oldies. I remember the first time she met her
husband of a zillion years - she wouldn't wear her
glasses at a dance, (vanity, vanity) so she depended
on me(I had contacts YES! I was blind without 'em)
to let her know if the guy walking towards us was good
looking or not, so she would be ready when he asked
her to dance - crazy stuff isn't it. So when her husband
is walking towards us, I nudge her and I say "Now THIS
one is real cute" There was one really funny time when
I told her "This guy is gorgeous", and he asked ME to
dance instead of her...wasn't funny to her then, but now
we get a chortle over it all.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 04:21 am
Perhaps like many parents, I don't like much modern pop/rock. the stuff my daughter listens to ain't for me. but then the stuff i listen to from the 60s and before isn't her bag either. someone once said -- "it's only rock and roll, but i like" well i love it, with many great bands and musicians in the 60s from the uk and usa showing innovation and skill. they owe much of their success not only to that moment in time but to their fore runners. they took some superb blues music and moulded it to their own style. So now i'm listening to the the original blues more and more. Do i prefer Eric Clapton or Robert Johnson playing "Crossroads" ? dunno, depends on the moment.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:47 am
One of my favorites:

"I Love How You Love Me". Smile
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:19 am
Eric Clapton is one of my favorites, too. Along with the old recordings, I like his "Pilgram" CD, from 1998. It's mellower, but, then, so am I...

My daughter mostly listens to Trance and Techno. I must admit, I like the music she listens to. She even has me listening to Eminem sometimes! However, she rolls her eyes when I play my old 'folk music'.

Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 05:17 am
Theme song from "Picnic". :wink:
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 11:32 am
Peace and Love

The Clapton album I've been promising myself is "One More Driver, One More Car". the version with video on it

My daughter probably likes stuff similar too your daughter. It's not for me tho, any more than The Blues or 60s/70s rock and roll is for my daughter. She was on at me to get MTV , Vh1 and all the other music channels when she graduated & came home from University. Well this morning I made her day. Cable guy fixed it for her.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 12:00 pm
Hi oldandknew --

I'm laughing Laughing ...... the next step will be hooking up the stereo system to the TV and then adding big speakers behind the couch!! I'm just 'projecting' my own experience here!! My daughter has everything (including the DVD) running through the stereo now and she has about 5 remote controls on the coffee table. I don't have a clue as to how she's got everything wired, but I love feeling the couch 'boom'!!

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation!!

I heard that "One More Car One More Driver" comes with a DVD disc. Or, maybe the CD comes with the DVD??? I can't remember!! It should be good, though.

Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 01:52 pm
One thing of which I am quite proud is that never, despite my appraisal of the musicality of the offending product, did I ever shout to my own young'ns, "Turn That Crap Down!" I heard quite enough of that when I was younger, thank you. Its their party, they can dance if they want to. I spent considerable time shielded from their cacophony by my own high-quality headphones. And the few times it came to a shootout, Dad's rig was a Battleship to their unarmored skiffs. Twisted Evil

timber
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 01:55 pm
"A Boy Named Sue" Razz
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:19 pm
Timberland , you are right. Kids have to have a fair chance. The only stipulation I put on my daughter was, that if she played her CDs on my PC, she didn't record them onto the hard drive.

Peace and Love, I bet your daughter is a highly trained electrician, she could probably be a roady and wire up any rock band.
I looked up that Clapton CD. Comes in various formats and combinations. You buy what suits you.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:25 pm
"Love Me Tender" Embarrassed
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:38 pm
I'm guilty, of yelling "turn it down". but then again there were 4 stereos blaring away all at once in a very small house. from gangsta rap, reggae, top 40, r&r, folk....i had a headache 24/7. used to go out and sleep in my truck, no lie.
must've paid off tho, now 3 of 4 are listening to Dylan, the Dead etc....but all my cd cases are void of cd's, wonder where they all went?
0 Replies