Music of the 60s

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:59 am
The vast majority of we who were there consider the music of that time to be the most innovative and endearing of all. But, there were many categories. Which categories and artists were your best favorites?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,708 • Replies: 73
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:03 am
I should have added an "all of the above option", because after reviewing it I can't make a choice. I love Dylan, The Beatles, The Stones, Donovan, Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, Leonard Cohen, Elvis, Sinatra, and scores more about equally.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:08 am
Edgar:

Motown is my town! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:09 am
I loved all of that stuff, but disco was my thing!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:42 am
Disco in the 1960's? Did I miss that? I didn't start doing the bump and hustle until sometime after 1976 - was i waaaaaay behind the curve?

for the 60's, i'll go back to the kind of stuff i listened to with my mother before i started school >>> prepare your ears for a flashback. is that possible? <<<
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:48 am
Almost ALL OF THE ABOVE
R E S P E C T... find out what it means to me....

All of the above, except for Elvis and Sinatra.

And George was my favorite Beatle. (just in case you wanted to know!)

LISTEN.... doo wah dah.... Do you want to know a secret.... doo wah dah...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:49 am
I can remember going to a place called Shepheard's in Manhattan around 1964. Maybe it wasn't disco- but they did use prerecorded music. I remember dancing the Frug!

Anyhow, maybe I placed it it the wrong timeframe, but I do love disco!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:53 am
ehBeth- I KNEW that I wasn't losing my mind. The Frug WAS considered a disco dance. Here's a history of the genre:

Link to a History of Disco
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:06 am
that's very cool, Phoenix. I recall the 'frug' as something adults did, but I never knew it was called disco. Most of those dances on the 1960's disco dance page are ones I know, or have heard of - but as a 1970's disco queen i wouldn't have expected to do them at a Saturday Night Fever era disco. I have some scary scary pix of those days - i had some big ole hair!)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:12 am
ehBeth- I the middle 60s pale blonde hair was "in". I had my hair bleached practically white. I wore it in a French knot. I would go to the beauty parlor, and have my hair done, once a week. I would go to bed with toilet paper wrapped around my hair. Every morning I would just add more hair spray! EECCH! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:20 am
Shocked

bleached blonde hair wrapped in toilet paper!

Shocked
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:43 am
Very Happy

I voted for Folk Music.... my favorite place to be in the 60's was sitting around in someone's living room, playing guitars and singing Bob Dylan songs.... or Joan Baez, or Ian & Sylvia, or Phil Oches, or Richard & Mimi Farina, or Odetta, or Dave Van Ronk or, or, or........!!!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:56 pm
Peace and Love
Or Rick Von Schmidt or.......
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 01:29 pm
Very Happy Hi edgar!! -- I don't recognize that name, Rick Von Schmidt.... ????

All morning, I've been humming this Ian & Sylvia song, "Lovin' Sound"....

Lovin's really livin'
Without it, you ain't livin' boy
You're just gettin' up each day
And walkin' around......

the chords are F...G...Em...A7...Dm...G7...A

I'm sitting here with my guitar..... cool..... just like the old days!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 01:46 pm
At least here in Europe (Germany and Britain, to be precise) there have been discos in the 60's. (I do know that, because after finishing dancing lessons, we officially couldn't go there, because we weren't 16 years old. [That's for Germany.]

I liked, howver, the Britsih-style folkclubs more than the discos.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 01:50 pm
P&L - Didn't you like the Beatles? Or the Stones? Or the Doors? Jefferson Airplane???

By the end of the 60's those were my favorites, and there was a band called It's A Beautiful Day. I think I wore that album out!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 05:58 pm
In the 60s popular music was totally transformed by the Beatles and Folk music by the fact that the artists composed their own music. Up until then most of what was popular were groups that sang other peoples songs. Remember all the one hit wonders in the 50s?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 06:23 pm
Yes, but, some 50s performers were songwriters. For instance, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Carl Perkins, Ben E. King, Chuck Willis.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 06:58 pm
Phoenix does have it right. Even in our little farming community in British Columbia, we had a couple of hopeful local entrepreneurs open up discos in the sixties. The hippy phenomenon killed them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:40 pm
I like a lot of dance songs, but the twist was the closest I came to learning to actually dance myself. I guess that's why most of my favorite songs are ballads and love songs.
0 Replies