the big one virus (answered - thanks)

Vivien

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:40 pm
is there a patch to prevent your computer getting this? (like the blaster worm patch)

I had enough hassle with blaster and do NOT want to go thro it again
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,243 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:47 pm
I'm not sure which virus you are talking about but the blaster one was a bit unique because it exploited something Windows had a patch for.

So it was really a vulnerability that Microsoft patched but then a worm was written to exploit.

Most viruses do not use such vulnerabilities and they spread through traditional mediums such as email.

For those types of viruses you need to keep your AV definitions updated.

A virus like blaster is rare and there is no one patch fits all for them. Just keep your Windows up to date.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:50 pm
There's a new fast spreading virus called BigOne. It sets up trojan horses and spreads via email.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:52 pm
You mean SoBig?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:58 pm
oops, yeah.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 05:00 pm
If it's SoBig then it's a variant and is not really new. In any case the post above applies to most viruses. Update your AV program's definitions.

Windows exploits are patched by windows patches. It is rare for a virus to work off of a windows exploit like blaster did.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 12:43 am
The latest variant of sobig (f@mm) has been the fastest spreading virus ever. You don't need a patch to deal with it, just make sure your AV definitions are up to date.

If someone needs a free removal tool go with McAfee Stinger (it also removes blaster, welchia and about 25 others in one shot).
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 01:12 am
thanks for the info and explanations - clearer now!
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:53 pm
I have gotten about 40 emails within the last three days that have the Sobig.F virus. Norton alerts me and I've just been deleting them. According to Norton, my system status is OK, but these e-mails are getting to be a real pain. Should I download the patch mentioned here, or should I just wait it out? Could my system be damaged if I continue to do what I've been doing?
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:43 am
uhhh what patch lol.....why would your system be damaged norton is covering your 6 a virus must be executed to work if u dont open the mail your fine
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:00 am
Hi soozoo,
Few viruses have ever necessitated a patch to your OS ..the only thing you usually need to do is make sure you have the latest AV definitions, as has been posted here several times. There are removal tools, but they won't help you cuz you're not infected. As safecracker said Norton's got ya covered, so no worries.
Cheers.
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 06:36 am
That's what I thought but I wanted to double check. Thank you and cheers back! Drunk
0 Replies