Is Jesus fiction?

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:13 am
curtis

I get what you are saying, but there is on point on which I wish to make a small objection. You say that "The moral code we accept comes from religion which is based on a belief in god." But is that so?
I think it's actually the other way around.
We do not have a concept of morals because we have religion. Religion is the result of a species trying to formulate a supreme moral code. Of course, this cannot be done, and so all religions are insufficient.

The problem is that morals is often thought of as a static set of guidelines that we follow. But real life scenarios are never static, and so we can never apply these guidelines with complete success.
So we do not need a 2000 page book for reference in any given situation. We need a sharp wit, a trained intellect and a good sense of empathy. Religious texts do not provide that. They tend to prohibit it.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:45 am
Quote:
Wow r u not allowed to masturbate in Christianity!But How are we going to differentiate between the good and the bad if we have no morals???

You can't masterbate but if your a good Christian; your God will not allow it. I'm not a Christian so I can and I don't have to fear a vengeful, wrathful God.

Gods and their rules are created in ones mind. Mine isn't the psychopath found in the Bible. I don't have to be afraid of him.

Good and bad are relative. They vary from from culture and times. Human sacrifice was considered not only moral but a necessity to appease a wrathful God or Gods. People today who condemn others past behavior are judging them from our times, our culture, our religion, our cumulative knowledge and our security. If we don't wear the pants of those who practiced behaviors that we so righteously condemn than we don't have the right to judge.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:10 am
Cyracuz wrote:
There may be tons of historical information on jesus stored away in the vaults of the vatican.

If we are to believe certain claims that are most often brushed aside as conspiracy theory, the council of Nicea gathered and decided that jesus was god's son by vote. Then all documents containing any information on jesus were gathered up from all over the world. Among these texts were more than one hundred gospels. Out of these, only the texts that supported the notion of jesus' divinity were included in the bible. The rest were locked away.

The way I see it, Jesus is a much too central figure in many different religions for him to be entirely dreamed up by someone. There probably existed an influential person named jesus around that time, and some sources claim he was a jewish prince.
The lack of documents to support this, if it indeed is the case, is so complete that it kind of smells like conspiracy.

A thought strikes me...
Maybe there's a link between the founding of today's christianity by the nicean council (if that story's true) and the persecution of jews that's been going on for so long. I mean, documents don't reveal anything if they're not seen, but people will remember and pass on what they know.

For argument's sake, how would you go about deleting a man of royal blood from history and replacing him with a god that could only be reached through you?
First, kill him.
Then pin the murder on his subjects. In this case the jewish people.
Then remove all evidence that he ever existed as a man.
Then launch an extensive campaign of propaganda, persecute and kill those who remember, so that the truth is drowned or distorted.

Just speculation of course Smile

This has been a speculation of mine as well. I tend to believe it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:39 am
Religion-- The great divider. What has religion ever done but to preach divisiveness, prejudice and exclusivity. Which in the long run resulted in wars,massacres,torture and all things evil.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 03:59 pm
Quote:
Christians like to claim that there are tons of documents proving that Jesus existed. That claim is completely false. Almost all the "documents" were created by believers who based their texts on stories they heard from others. There are practically no documents that were written by independent, reliable, secular sources.

When I used to go to church - about 15 years ago, they said that the only surviving historical document mentioning Jesus was written 100 years after his death, by (I can't remember - someone in Rome), saying 'that man Jesus is still troubling us'. I've never bothered to verify it, but it does contradict what you are saying above, re the 'tons of documents' belief.

Quote:
Considering all the miracles that Jesus was supposed to have done, and all the people that were supposed to have followed him and his teachings, there is an amazing lack of any mention of him by all the writers from that time.

The use of 'supposed' before ' have followed him' is rather amusing for it's obvious manipulative qualities. That said, from what I know, there is certainly a lack of historical records mention of his name - I've never looked into whether it's amazing or not Smile
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:59 pm
au1929 wrote:
Religion-- The great divider. What has religion ever done but to preach divisiveness, prejudice and exclusivity. Which in the long run resulted in wars,massacres,torture and all things evil.

Amen to that.
0 Replies