Is Jesus fiction?

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 07:27 pm
This is what one person wrote in Yahoo Answers: (The question was "Liar, lunatic or lord? Are there no other options?
I know I've heard this line about Jesus before, but I was young enough then to not have any further options available. How about fictional?
") The following is someone's answer to the question:

Fictional seems extremely likely.

Christians like to claim that there are tons of documents proving that Jesus existed. That claim is completely false. Almost all the "documents" were created by believers who based their texts on stories they heard from others. There are practically no documents that were written by independent, reliable, secular sources.

There are only three examples of independent documents from that time that mention Jesus. One of these is an obvious fraud, and the other two are very vague and indirect references.

Considering all the miracles that Jesus was supposed to have done, and all the people that were supposed to have followed him and his teachings, there is an amazing lack of any mention of him by all the writers from that time.

Fictional is definitely the answer that is most likely to be true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,808 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 07:55 pm
Certainly seems a reasonable possibility to me, I know there is at least one member on this site who has made the suggestion on many occasions. I wouldn't have a clue historically speaking but in a religious/spirituality context, I think it's really a sad reflection of major, western orthodox religion/spirituality that a great many people would seemingly fight, until the bitter end, the suggestion that Jesus was possibly a symbolic figure rather than literal, the same for the miracles etc. In fact never even mind the idea that he was symbolic, just that it doesn't really matter either way, not religiously IMO. Contrast much of eastern religion with western or better yet, maybe Roman Catholicism with the Christian mystics or Islam with Sufism to further highlight these points.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:16 pm
It's true that there is not much of what we could call evidence for the existence of Jesus, but I think he probably was a real person and stories were created based on his life. Separating truth from fantasy is lost to time and opinion. I think this is true of many myths and legends. At some point in history there was probably a living version of Zeus, Thor, Odin, King Arthur etc. A mythology begins when someone within a society stands out because of their teachings or abilities, and as time goes on, people add to and twist the reality to fulfill their needs and wishes. It's a good strategy to spread the word to your enemies that your leader has super powers.

It's like the story of George Washington cutting down the cherry tree and not being able to lie about it. Many people believe this to be true and know little else about the man. The myth trumps the truth over time, but within the myth is a real person.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:24 pm
I have not believed an actual Jesus existed for many years now. I am willing to change my mind if any evidence surfaces.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:33 am
Jesus is simply the English version of the Latin version of the Greek version of Joshuah (which is, itself, the English version of the Hebrew name). How you frame your question is extremely important. If you were able to stand on the roof of a building on the edge of the marketplace by the Temple in Jerusalem two thousand years ago, and threw a handful of pea gravel into the crowd, the odds are pretty good that you'd hit a dozen or more people named Joshuah. Any number of these could claim to be, or could be claimed by others to be, a rabbi, or teacher.

So, if the question is whether or not it is likely that there was at least one man named Joshuah who was, or claimed to be, or was described by others as a rabbi, a teacher, two thousand years ago in Palestine, i'd say that odds are extremely high that that is true. But if your question is whether or not there were a rabbi or teacher named Joshuah in Palestine two thousand years ago, and that the "gospels" are an accurate description of his life and times, i'd say, not too bloody likely.

As history, the "new testament" sucks--it's laughably absurd to consider it reliable history, and it's errors and the number of times that other historical records contradict it are legion. The basic message--that heaven and salvation lie within each woman and man--is neither new nor radical, and could very likely have been preached by one or more rabbis in Palestine 2000 years ago, and any one or more of those rabbis could have been named Joshuah. It's what has been done with the message since then, and the cartoon-like story which accompanies it which are objectionable and implausible.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:46 am
There may be tons of historical information on jesus stored away in the vaults of the vatican.

If we are to believe certain claims that are most often brushed aside as conspiracy theory, the council of Nicea gathered and decided that jesus was god's son by vote. Then all documents containing any information on jesus were gathered up from all over the world. Among these texts were more than one hundred gospels. Out of these, only the texts that supported the notion of jesus' divinity were included in the bible. The rest were locked away.

The way I see it, Jesus is a much too central figure in many different religions for him to be entirely dreamed up by someone. There probably existed an influential person named jesus around that time, and some sources claim he was a jewish prince.
The lack of documents to support this, if it indeed is the case, is so complete that it kind of smells like conspiracy.

A thought strikes me...
Maybe there's a link between the founding of today's christianity by the nicean council (if that story's true) and the persecution of jews that's been going on for so long. I mean, documents don't reveal anything if they're not seen, but people will remember and pass on what they know.

For argument's sake, how would you go about deleting a man of royal blood from history and replacing him with a god that could only be reached through you?
First, kill him.
Then pin the murder on his subjects. In this case the jewish people.
Then remove all evidence that he ever existed as a man.
Then launch an extensive campaign of propaganda, persecute and kill those who remember, so that the truth is drowned or distorted.

Just speculation of course Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:25 am
Green Witch wrote:
It's like the story of George Washington cutting down the cherry tree and not being able to lie about it. Many people believe this to be true and know little else about the man. The myth trumps the truth over time, but within the myth is a real person.

There is a problem with this relative to the question of the "historicity" of the putative Jesus. We know that the cherry tree story comes from Parson Weems, that he wrote it down after Washington was dead, that he claimed he had the tale from Washington's contemporaries, although most or all of them would have been dead at the time Weems wrote his drivel, and that there are no other sources for this story other than Parson Weems, until after Weems had written his book.

The same circumstances do not apply to the story of the putative Christ. The "gospels" contain a good deal of crap which is contradicted by both actual historical records, and by what we know from historical records about how the Roman world worked. Two good examples are: the census story, which is contradicted both by the historical record which Caesar Augustus left of how often and when he conducted a census or lustrum, and the improbable implication that the Romans ever counted or cared about those who were not Roman citizens; and the story of Pilate and the execution of the putative Christ--Pilate had no such authority, and, in fact, his rights and responsibilities as the prefect of Iudaea would have required him to send anyone accused of rebellion against the Empire to the Legate of Syria for judgment and disposition.

Until quite recently (relatively speaking) many scholars even doubted that Pilate existed. He is only mentioned once in Roman records, by Tacitus, who claimed that he was The province of Iudaea was created from three other subdivisions of the senatorial province of Syria, and was itself a subdivision of Syria. The governor would not likely to be known as procurator, which is how Tacitus describes him. You can remove the sentence which describes Pilate from Tacitus' account, and do no violence to the narrative, which lead many scholars to decide that the Tacitus entry about Pilate was an interpolation (something someone else added after Tacitus wrote his history), and that there was no good reason to assume that Pilate ever existed.

Furthermore, procurator is a name for a financial officer, and although it was sometimes used for someone who was, in effect, a governor, it was only ever used in regions in which the population were Roman citizens, or had Latin rights (citizenship without the vote), and would not have applied to Iudaea. However, in 1961, an inscription was unearthed at Caesarea Maritima, which was the "capital" of Iudaea (near modern Tel Aviv), which refers to Pontius Pilate and refers to him as prefect, which does fit into the Roman governance hierarchy. So we now know that Pilate existed, and that it is likely that Tacitus (who should have known better) interpreted the abbreviation "pr." as procurator rather than prefect.

However, none of that alters that the account given in Matthew and Luke are dubious at best. Pilate had no authority to execute anyone. The Legate (Governor) of Syria had Roman troops, the prefect of Iudaea did not--Pilate would have had, at most, about 3000 auxiliaries, but no Roman troops. Pilate, from the Jewish sources, was exceedingly contemptuous of the Jews and the Samaritans, and is accused by Jewish historians of cruelty, murder and willfully offending the religious sensibilities of the people of Iudaea. This leads to the question of whether or not he would have had someone executed because the mob demanded it. On the one hand, it was certainly not outside the probability which arises from his character as described by the Jewish historians. At the same time, the contempt for the Jews which the Jewish historians allege Pilate displayed (and the overwhelming historical evidence is that the Romans were contemptuous of the Jews, and considered them an annoyance and trouble-makers) could as easily suggest that Pilate would not take any notice of the demands of the mob. Although technically, Pilate would have committed an administrative "crime" in executing anyone accused or rebellion without referring the case to the Legate of Syria, it is unlikely that he would have been punished for it. Only a case of the population in arms threatening rebellion would likely have been seen as reason for him to appeal to the Legate.

However, the doubts which surround this episode, as alleged in Matthew and Luke, point out just how shaky the historical evidence which Christians allege actually is. Furthermore, it is now almost (almost) universally accepted by scholars that the most famous passage in Tacitus--about the fire at Rome when Nero was the Emperor, which claimed that Nero persecuted the Christians--was actually an interpolation, a passage added probably in the 15th century in the Vatican (it was not known to exist before the 15th century), and added to a text which was a 9th century copy of Tacitus' Annals. None of the early church fathers refer to the supposed passage in Tacitus, nor the alleged reference to the putative Jesus in Flavius Josephus, even those these were literate men who were familiar with works of both writers. The Tacitus passage refers to Christians, at a time when Christians did not call themselves Christians, and uses the term "the Christ," although that would have been using a Greek term unknown to Romans, without explaining the term to his readers. In the lifetime of Tacitus and Flavius Josephus, Christians were referred to simply as Jews, and no distinction was made between them as Jews and those Jews who definitely were not Christian.

So a comparison to Washington and the cherry tree incident is not quite accurate--but it is helpful in that the means by which that story can be discredited are exactly the same means by which the Tacitus and Josephus passages are thrown into doubt.

But one big problem which historians have in convincing Christians is the ampitheater which Israeli archaeologists found with the Pilate inscription. Scholars had so long doubted that Pilate even existed, that since the Pilate inscription was found, no one has been able to convince Christians that it does not constitute evidence that the "gospels" are accurate.

We know as well as we can know anything that the Parson Weems cherry tree story is BS. The Jesus story is subject to a good deal more doubt.

Personally, i consider it a 50-50 shot that such an individual did exist. I consider the "gospels," however, to be bullshit cobbled together long after the fact, if fact it ever were.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:11 pm
Pretty wild cyr.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way round.

If you are sufficiently interested I think you might find Chap V11 (Historical Pseudomorphoses) of Spengler's 2nd volme of Decline of the West of some use.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 05:51 pm
Perhaps spendius.
It was just a thought that popped into my head.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:21 pm
And there has been a lot more heads that thoughts have popped into besides your's.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:45 pm
I think he may have existed, but to say that he is what the Bible says he is might not be accurate. I fully believe that he could have existed and actually the he could have performed all those miracles, but that doesn't separate him from any of us. I believe we could all do similar things if we were in close enough communication with our higher self... but that's beside the point.

Of the few hundred known historians and writers who lived in that region of the world in that time period, none of them mentioned Jesus at all. There was one historian who claimed to have witnessed all of Jesus' miracles, but it has been exposed as a fraud for some time. Instead it was found to be written nearly 300 years after when Jesus would have existed.

I believe he could have existed, and that he could have performed miracles, but I believe that the Bible's account is false.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 02:20 am
Answer to the first question is yes.

I'd like to call myself an atheist for Jesus (after Richard Dawkins). My personal guess (I try not to use the word "belief" - it's misleading) is that Jesus was a genius and revolutionary thinker, who knew how to use religion (and people) as a tool. A role model for me, in a sense.

Liar, Lunatic, Lord or um, Lagenius?

Of course my theory could be encompased is the "Liar" section, but the word "liar" is so misleading (so many words are). People assume liars are bad people. "Liars are bad. Jesus wasn't bad. Ergo, Jesus wasn't a liar." If a person (oh, that's me) was confronted by a murderer who asked him which way his victim went, does it make me a bad person if I lie to him?
0 Replies

blakblak

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 02:43 am
yeah but was he a lunatic...he could have been a lunatic. I dont see the point in arguing about whether he was real or not. Values Christianity teaches can only help the world...people shud not really believe in god but take out the morals and values from Christianity. Look at yourself and you will see that even though you believe God isn't real that the values and morals you hold are similar to those taught in Christianity...Don't kill Don't steal bla bla bla..Even if Jesus wasn't real he brought about a set of values and morals that will make the world better.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 02:59 am
blakblak wrote:
yeah but was he a lunatic...he could have been a lunatic. I dont see the point in arguing about whether he was real or not. Values Christianity teaches can only help the world...people shud not really believe in god but take out the morals and values from Christianity. Look at yourself and you will see that even though you believe God isn't real that the values and morals you hold are similar to those taught in Christianity...Don't kill Don't steal bla bla bla..Even if Jesus wasn't real he brought about a set of values and morals that will make the world better.

You're kidding, right? the religion that has killed more people than any other, yet says not to kill? The religion that would claim to support pro life, yet condemns the gay children that they save from abortion? The same religion that preaches a god of unconditional love who will send you to an eternity of suffering under then hand of satan if you masturbate? The same religion that preaches non-judgement while being the most judgemental of all religions? No thanks.

The truth is, in a truly evolved society that is in communion with god needs no morals. There is no right and wrong, no universal moral code. If you believe that moral rules are required by god, then you don't believe that you are created by god. Why would god create beings that disappoint him and force him to damn for all eternity?

Jeez. Nobody thinks anymore, do they?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 03:04 am
Here here.
0 Replies

blakblak

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 03:10 am
[/QUOTE]You're kidding, right? the religion that has killed more people than any other, yet says not to kill? The religion that would claim to support pro life, yet condemns the gay children that they save from abortion? The same religion that preaches a god of unconditional love who will send you to an eternity of suffering under then hand of satan if you masturbate? The same religion that preaches non-judgement while being the most judgemental of all religions? No thanks.

The truth is, in a truly evolved society that is in communion with god needs no morals. There is no right and wrong, no universal moral code. If you believe that moral rules are required by god, then you don't believe that you are created by god. Why would god create beings that disappoint him and force him to damn for all eternity?

Jeez. Nobody thinks anymore, do they?
Quote:

ok fine u win. Wow r u not allowed to masturbate in Christianity!But How are we going to differentiate between the good and the bad if we have no morals???
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 03:29 am
blakblak, you are just dieing to read "The God Delusion", I can see.

Let me just say this: it has been proven that religion and morals are separate and do not require eachother. Conscience is a natural process, and not derived from religion.
0 Replies

blakblak

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 03:33 am
aperson wrote:
blakblak, you are just dieing to read "The God Delusion", I can see.

Let me just say this: it has been proven that religion and morals are separate and do not require eachother. Conscience is a natural process, and not derived from religion.

Conscience is a natural process? Explain.

How can that be proven,how is it that somehow we evolved from "primordial soup" to being conscious. Is there a natural process?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 03:36 am
O please.

I don't have time to educate preschoolers.

Ok I worded that last post wrong. "Conscience is a natural process, and not derived from religion."

I meant that the conscience is a natural part of the human brain and not derived from religion.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 04:18 am
Quote:
But How are we going to differentiate between the good and the bad if we have no morals???

What makes you think there is good and bad? Religion? Society? There is no such thing as right and wrong; only that which serves the soul's purpose and that which does not serve the soul's purpose. In a truly evolved society, we will recognize that "sin" is an oops that needs healing, not shame, punishment, and damnation.

We've already learned this with potty training our pets and children. We reward good behavior and we've learned that rubbing noses in the accidents doesn't work, yet religion keeps using guilt and nose-rubbing to continue filling collection plates and pews. When our pet makes a mistake we calmly take them outside. When a human makes a mistake, we give them the death penalty and cheer when they get the needle. Long live Texas Baptists and their divine right to purge the world of gays and tattoo artists, right?

Do we consider it immoral for a baby to **** in its diaper? Do we consider it immoral when a dog kills a person? Of course not. We view it as a lack of training, an unorthodox containment of a wild animal, or a poorly trained animal. Yet, with humans we assume that he/she is going to hell for a simple action. What religion considers "sin" is nothing more than one person's inability to communicate with their higher self. If humans realized that they are all connected and that hurting another hurts themselves, then "sin" wouldn't exist. If we truly knew that, then anytime murder were commited, we would understand that its a lack of enlightenment; not demonic possession or lack of moral aptitude.

The universe is one. All are connected. You wouldn't use your own hands to cut off your own feet would you? The problem is, the human race doesn't understand that they are ONE BODY. If someone hurts another, they don't realize that they are hurting themselves. Religion tries to define this as "sin." In truth, once we realize that we are all one, we won't "sin" against another anymore than we would use our hands to cut off our feet. Religion attempts to stop our understanding of "sin" at the literary level so that we keep complying and filling pews.

In a truly evolved society, there IS NO MORALITY. Morality doesn't exist except in the realm of those who don't understand that all matter and energy is one. We are all part of the same whole. Once we understand that, there will be no religion and no petty ethics.

"Sin" is what religion uses to show us how we are all separate. Morality is the basis of the guilt structure used to ensure compliance. If we realize that we are all one, then sin, guilt, morality, ethics, and religion itself dissolve.

I'll say the same thing that earned me straight "D" grades in college; There is no universal moral code. The moral code we accept comes from religion which is based on a belief in god. Assuming you accept there is a god and we're all created by her, then you have to accept we are all connected. If you believe we are all connected, then the hand cannot hurt the foot and therefore no moral code is required. The belief that a moral code is required therefore effectively dissolves your belief in god.
0 Replies