Linux is ready for prime time!

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:02 pm
I am a computer geek who has been using Linux for a long time. I have always loved Linux, but have begrudgingly admitted that it was hard enough to configure to make it usable by non-geeks.

This is no longer true. A little while ago switched from my rather technical Gentoo distribution to the Ubuntu installation and I was very impressed with the ease of use.

The Ubuntu installer loaded easily, detected all of the hardware (including somethings that were headaches in Gentoo) and came up with no complaints.

Everything just worked.

Since then, I have supported a couple of non-techies through the install for Ubuntu... and my "expertise" wasn't really needed.

Ubuntu even has an automatic install program that lists hundreds of free software titles that you can choose from-- and each one installs with no problems.

Linux has long been superior to Windows on several fronts from security to the availability of open source software and a helpful community.

But Linux now as a user friendly desktop, easy to use installation and configuration and a desktop as advanced as any.

Linux is now ready for use, even by non-technical users.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 810 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:27 pm
sigh. I got a headache just reading all that.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 04:27 pm
Let me try to clarify.

Linux is an alternative to Microsoft Windows-- it can run on pretty much any machine that Windows can run on.

If you have a computer that runs Windows, you can get a CD that will put Linux on your machine. It is common to run both operating systems on the same computer (you switch between them by rebooting and then selecting which you want to use from a menu)-- or some of us just replace windows with Linux.

You can now buy computers that come with Linux installed-- Dell now offers Ubuntu.

Again, the advantages of this are better security (i.e. it is harder to write viruses), access to a world of quality open source (i.e. free) software and a community of users.

My point is that the former disadvantages of using Linux are largely addressed in the latest distributions of Linux-- and Ubuntu seems the easiest and most friendly of the lot.

And .... perhaps best of all, Linux can be had for free.

I believe that there are a lot of people who will benefit from trying it out.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:22 pm
I know about Linux... my husband used it exclusively for years - he hated how often Windows crashed. However, he now has a MAC and is happier than a pig in poop. He's a scientist so it's critical he has a stable program.

It requires great concentration on my part just to download and install spyware so I'm sure not going to get into Linux.

I know, I'm no fun to talk to about programs.

But I'm glad you're so happy.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:33 pm
Why would you want to install spyware on your computer?

((now I am getting a headache))
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:50 pm
okay, antispyware Smile
0 Replies

bluntenedhead

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 06:33 pm
My criticism =

You are a self proclaimed 'geek' that has been running Linux for years. You state that it's for everyday people.

I am a self proclaimed 'everyday person', I've tried using Linux many-a-time and have always found myself running back to Windows. I am very very close to working fulltime with Linux but the latest problem has been inability to connect to the internet. The problem perhaps predictably is that I have Winmodems mehhh

Until I can run this software myself with no issues I am very cynical that Linux is for everyone.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 07:45 pm
Read my post again... my judgement on the ease of use of the latest Ubuntu distribution was the fact that I have seen "non-techies" (i.e. everyday people) use it without any problem.

I stand by my statement that most everyday people will be able to install and use Ubuntu Linux without much problem... and that the software available will make them much happier than Windows. The only advantage that Windows has over linux for the normal user is games.

Yeah, Yeah there are Winmodems. I haven't used a winmodem with Ubuntu. However as I point out, Ubuntu was able to install my tricky laptop video drivers with no problem.

I don't think there are many people who need to use winmodems any more.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 07:57 pm
son (16) recently installed ubuntu on his pc. no dramas.

the real drama is getting used to where everything is. we are so used to windows that it becomes a trial to find and do the things you want.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 02:30 pm
We just made the switch over to Ubuntu, and are loving it. No drama, or headaches. It's very easy to install and navigate. Everything just works...
0 Replies