The bible. Literal truth or poetic metaphor?

real life

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:43 pm
Cyracuz,

I have little doubt that I could point out passages in the Bible that you would agree were meant to be taken literally.

Also I could point out passages that you would agree were not meant to be understood literally.

The differences would occur in deciding which passages fall into which category.

So it's not a matter of 'If' (as you stated) but 'Which'.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 01:04 pm
Quote:
The differences would occur in deciding which passages fall into which category.

Which pretty much renders the whole mess useless...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 02:55 pm
Much of human speech and literature is then useless according to your criteria.

Most folks easily move between literal and figurative expressions in their dialogue and writing on a daily basis.

Maybe you hadn't noticed because you're still trying to figure out if you exist or not. (I mean that literally.)
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 05:31 pm
real life wrote:
I have little doubt that I could point out passages in the Bible that you would agree were meant to be taken literally.

Also I could point out passages that you would agree were not meant to be understood literally.

The differences would occur in deciding which passages fall into which category...

Hi RL. Here's hoping your Christmas was as enjoyable as mine. We're still a few days from going home and having a great time w/family & friends. In fact - I have not looked at a computer for over a week now and must admit that it's not been missed.

Your point(s) to member Cyracuz are spot on and I would also like to add that many of the misunderstood passages of the Bible may be better (more literally) understood as the future unfolds. Only time (and God) will tell. :wink:
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 06:29 pm
Thanks baddog. We had a very enjoyable Christmas.

We were with family gathered in from all over and had a great time with some we hadn't seen for several years.

Cyracuz is very much like some members of my family.

They've been so filled with weird ideas from PC schools and the popular culture that they have no clue which way is up.

But they've got great self esteem. In their world, there's no one better than them. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 07:27 pm
Quote:

Yes. Or more precicely, it serves to strengthen illusions we retain so that we can continue to believe in our lies.
Some lies we need, some we don't.

And the longer you're pushing that "don't know if you exist or not" thing the more you will ridicule yourself. The only thing the fact that you keep pushing on that reveals is that you haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

Your apparent lack of reason whatsoever is getting real tiresome.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 01:47 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

Yes. Or more precicely, it serves to strengthen illusions we retain so that we can continue to believe in our lies.
Some lies we need, some we don't.

Does language ONLY serve to strengthen illusion?

Does language EVER serve to dispel illusion?

Cyracuz wrote:
And the longer you're pushing that "don't know if you exist or not" thing the more you will ridicule yourself. The only thing the fact that you keep pushing on that reveals is that you haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

Your apparent lack of reason whatsoever is getting real tiresome.

I know that I exist. You are the one with doubts on that score.

If there's any cluelessness, look in the mirror, Cyracuz.

I know exactly what you are talking about, and your view is rubbish. It deserves the ridicule it receives.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 07:32 am
Quote:

I know precicely how matters are. My point with the particular issue you keep hammering was about the concepts we have, of self, and of everything else.

Besides, ridicule from you is just about equal to complaints about hygiene from a pig.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 10:03 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

I know precicely how matters are. My point with the particular issue you keep hammering was about the concepts we have, of self, and of everything else.

Perhaps you've watched "The Truman Show" one too many times.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 10:22 am
Can it, real.
I'm done talking to you. Happy new year
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:02 am
Cyracuz wrote:
I'm done talking to you

It may be for the best since your continued use of language may have only strengthened your illusions and caused you to continue believing lies.

Or so I am told, by a source who assures me that he is accurate.

real life wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:

Cyracuz wrote:
Happy new year.

Happy new year, Cyracuz. I hope it goes well with you.
0 Replies