The bible. Literal truth or poetic metaphor?

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 04:55 pm
I'm just curious about how people relate to the bible. So please answer this poll if you feel that there's an option in it that fits you.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,060 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 05:41 pm
It's a confused collection of anecdotes of dubious provenance, passages lifted wholesale from the cultural folk tales of others, and priestly rantings. Like any folk-tale history of a people, one can find some pertinent observations on human nature by diligent searching.

It is noteworthy that St. Augustine states that the document is not to be taken as literal truth. That probably accounts for Augustine's continuing unpopularity with church authorities both Catholic and Protestant. However, to refer to it as poetic metaphor is to gild the lily. There is little of actual poetry in it, other than what has been created by dubious translations from questionable sources.

We know (for as well as we can know anything on this subject) that the Pentateuch was heavily edited after the Babylonian Captivity, in the 5th century BCE. This is likely the time when the confused cosmogony narratives were inserted. Apart from that, this document is one of the least well attested sources of ancient literature. The earliest "reliable" sources for what is known as the "new testament" date from the late third century, more than 250 years after the putative Jesus is said to have died.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 12:23 am
You did not include enough options in your poll
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:10 am
Is there an option you would like to see in the poll? May I ask what it is?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:56 am
I've bookmarked here and will have to get back to you
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 02:31 am
I quote from "The God Delusion":

Quote:
To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect from a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and "improved" by hundreds of anonymous athours, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to eachother, spanning nine centuries.

There is a whole chapter on the Bible in Richard Dawkins' book which I found very well written, supported and convincing. Just read it, ok? In fact, read the whole book.

I didn't vote because the Bible does have a lot to teach us... just not the right things.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 03:04 am
I voted for the first, but tentatively. The bible is based on some very enlightened writing, but horrifically tainted. if one applies the wisdom of interpretation based on truth and not blind faith, it can offer some deep philosophy and valid truth. Otherwise its pointless.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 07:27 pm
curtis

Doesn't that imply that you have to know the truth before you can find it in the bible?
To me it does anyway.

When it comes down to it, the only times we recognize wisdom in books are the times when we read something that is akin to our own experience.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:59 pm
Why waste time reading the book, in that case?
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 11:18 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
curtis

Doesn't that imply that you have to know the truth before you can find it in the bible?
To me it does anyway.

When it comes down to it, the only times we recognize wisdom in books are the times when we read something that is akin to our own experience.

Not to me. Reading simply adds information to your brain and the bible is no different. Its full of information. So is a Stephen King novel. The wisdom doesn't come from pulling truth or fiction from the text, it comes from being able to use all the knowledge your brain assimilates to cognitively learn. It is my theory that humans' differences of beliefs revolve simply around the different information we've assimilated.

What I was implying was that the bible has some philosophical tidbits in it from which we can learn, but without wisdom its a dangerous tool in the hands of a staunch believer. However, in the hands of a "wise" individual, the tidbits gleaned from the text can be important to how he/she lives. It doesn't even matter WHICH tidbits they gleaneth; wisdom is different to everyone. Its no different than reading a Stephen King novel. We learn from the text and the picture it draws.

In that manner, I can see your argument when you say, " the only times we recognize wisdom in books are the times when we read something that is akin to our own experience, " however I would modify that. I would say that the truly wise recognize wisdom when they read it and eschew the BS. If someone reads the bible without using wisdom to temper the info their brain absorbs they are in mortal danger of becoming a fundamentalist. In that instance they have eschewed the truth in favor of the BS. Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:40 pm
Much of the Bible is literal and much of it is metaphorical. That wasn't one of your options though.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:13 pm
Arella

You say much of the bible is literal and much is metaphor.
Next I suppose you'll tell me you know which parts are which?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:15 pm
She wrote it. She should know.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:17 pm
There is no reason to be sarcastic. I'll just stay out of your way and your threads.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:36 pm
Some of the Bible is metaphor and poetry. A lot of it is Jewish history and boring lists of names and events that just don't matter to most of us. It includes myths, legends, immorality, questionable ethics, superstitious rituals, whining, warnings, and prophecy that never came to pass. The Bible reflects the wisdom and ignorance of the men who wrote it, but what is most definitely is not is the Inerrant Word of any God in which I could logically believe.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:52 pm
Pardon my sarcasm Arella.
I'd like to hear your answer though...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:38 pm
I don't know...I'm thinking we should debate whether or not there IS a reason to be sarcastic.

I'm thinking there is.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 06:03 pm
I suspect much of what is now usually considered a metaphorical
passage, originally was meant literal. We've merely adjusted the
lunacy to the this millennia...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 06:11 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Much of the Bible is literal and much of it is metaphorical. That wasn't one of your options though.

Of course it wasn't one of the options.

Caricatures are more fun.

I agree with Arella's view and would add that it is probably representative of the overwhelming majority of Christians.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 07:36 pm
Lash

Truth be told, I think I've rarely been more sarcastic than in the sentence that comes after the one in which I apologize for my sarcasm towards Arella... :wink:

Real life

If some of the bib is literal truth and some is metaphor, then I assume that each christian knows which is which. Or is that a matter of individual choice, as so much in christianity seems to be.
After all, there are probably more subcategories of christianity than there are other religions in all the world ever.
0 Replies