Making a backup disc

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 02:52 pm
Someone has suggested that I make a backup disc of Excel (and any other installation CDs). How do I do this?

I can burn CDs of individual documents and records, but don't know how to copy an installation onto one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 730 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 04:31 am
Your burning software should have a "Copy CD" option.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 07:08 am
The actual method will depend on the brand of computer you bought. Most have a way to burn CDs/DVDs that will return your machine to how it came from the factory, including installed software.

Most modern PCs will not allow you to burn separate installation media for applications on your PC.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 07:23 am
Drewdad, it depends what Tomkitten is trying to do. If he wants to make an additional backup copy of a software manufacturer's installation CD-ROM then all he has to do is copy that CD using his burning software.

Of course it is not possible to create an installation CD using the folders of a Microsoft Office application which has been installed on your PC. If you have lots of personal spreadsheets and other data which you want to preserve, Tomkitten, that is possible, but at the moment it does not seem clear what you want.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 05:24 pm
Making a backup disc
After mulling it over, I think that this suggestion is a bit of overkill. I have the CD, a copy of it would not be of any particular use. If I lose the original CD, there's nothing to keep me from losing the copy. It it were a download, I could understand better.

As long as I have the various keys, etc., & have properly activated the software, I assume that I could identify myself to Microsoft and request a copy. Or is Microsoft so picky that they would charge me for a new CD?

Anyway, my philosophy is always to order a CD, rather than a download, of any new software, even if it costs a little more.
0 Replies