American History X...What did you think?

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 02:41 pm
I saw this film the other day, and loved it in many ways....

I thought the theme of attraction to neo-fascism was a fascinating one...

But...was the protagonist just too sweet a boy for his beliefs/behaviour to make sense?

The character of the black teacher....too good? He almost seemed like something of the "magic negro" character, as seen in characters like the fella in The Green Mile (do people know what I mean by that term? I don't mean it to be derogatory)

The relationship between the brothers was lovely, and both boys were beautifully portrayed.

I am wondering if that theme of white kids feeling dispossessed by black and latino gangs in parts of suburbia is a common feeling on the ground????

Was the change in the protagonist realistic to others?

I would love it if anyone wanted to discuss these questions, or anything else about the film.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,277 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:00 pm
I'd love to discuss it with you, D, had I any notion of what this film is about. I've never heard of it. Is "American History X" the title? If so, I don't think it's been shown in the States.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:06 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I'd love to discuss it with you, D, had I any notion of what this film is about. I've never heard of it. Is "American History X" the title? If so, I don't think it's been shown in the States.

Somebody answered...sobs...... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Cool Cool Cool

It may have only had limited release?????

http://www.amazon.com/American-History-X-Edward-Norton/dp/6305313687/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1198371785&sr=1-1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_History_X

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/american_history_x/
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 08:24 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 08:51 pm
It is indeed an excellent film, and Edward Norton was nominated for a best actor oscar for his performance in it.
0 Replies

nice2know

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 09:50 am
Very powerful and definitely up there with one of Ed Norton's most accomplished performances. Not one I watch too often though, even though I have it on DVD as it takes a lot of out of you.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 10:28 am
I too saw the movie.

I am sort of biased because I love Edward Norton, but yes.. I do understand the idea that the magic negro ( even though that makes me laugh) saves all is a bit to much..

But how ELSE could that have been done that would not capitalize again on nothing but blood and gore?

I may be limited in my thinking, but the only other way I could imagine him learning his 'lesson' would have been to show him being continuesly raped and beaten in jail by black people, and for him to come out afraid..
But that would not conclude the story the same way.

Sadly, there are still racial tensions between teenagers and young adults. Especially those that want to identify themselves with some kind of gang.
( im not saying only street gangs here.. I mean all gangs.. KKK, street gangs, small groups of people.. family.. etc.)

Crap.. I just got a rather long phone call from a client.. Im on hold now..

I will have to write more afterwords..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:17 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I too saw the movie.

I am sort of biased because I love Edward Norton, but yes.. I do understand the idea that the magic negro ( even though that makes me laugh) saves all is a bit to much..

But how ELSE could that have been done that would not capitalize again on nothing but blood and gore?

I may be limited in my thinking, but the only other way I could imagine him learning his 'lesson' would have been to show him being continuesly raped and beaten in jail by black people, and for him to come out afraid..
But that would not conclude the story the same way.

Sadly, there are still racial tensions between teenagers and young adults. Especially those that want to identify themselves with some kind of gang.
( im not saying only street gangs here.. I mean all gangs.. KKK, street gangs, small groups of people.. family.. etc.)

Crap.. I just got a rather long phone call from a client.. Im on hold now..

I will have to write more afterwords..

Please do!!!!
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 07:45 pm
Bookmark.

Good movie! One easy and fun to watch several times.

The dynamics in the family were moving, to me.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 07:57 pm
Saw this several years ago. Remember thinking that it was very well-done but ringed hollow somehow. I dunno -- I knew families a bit like that, and it just seemed artificial (but of course it's only a movie).

I think maybe Ed Norton's not a good casting choice, though he gave a very good performance. Just something about him that made the role ring false, like the guy was too polished. (I think you may be reacting to the same thing.)

And, yes, I know exactly what you mean by the "magic negro" archetype (there's also the magic American Indian here, and I suspect that you've got no shortage of movies featuring the magic Australian aborigine in every role from inert prop to integral-but-minor character). I'm kind of with shewolf, though -- given the audience the film was released to and the particular insecurities of the type of people who put together and bankroll movies, what else could they have done? If he was anything other than a saint, there might be the risk of moral ambiguity, and our movies don't tend to do moral ambiguity on topics that are touchy among Hollywood and/or the American middle class...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 09:55 pm
patiodog wrote:
Saw this several years ago. Remember thinking that it was very well-done but ringed hollow somehow. I dunno -- I knew families a bit like that, and it just seemed artificial (but of course it's only a movie).

I think maybe Ed Norton's not a good casting choice, though he gave a very good performance. Just something about him that made the role ring false, like the guy was too polished. (I think you may be reacting to the same thing.)

And, yes, I know exactly what you mean by the "magic negro" archetype (there's also the magic American Indian here, and I suspect that you've got no shortage of movies featuring the magic Australian aborigine in every role from inert prop to integral-but-minor character). I'm kind of with shewolf, though -- given the audience the film was released to and the particular insecurities of the type of people who put together and bankroll movies, what else could they have done? If he was anything other than a saint, there might be the risk of moral ambiguity, and our movies don't tend to do moral ambiguity on topics that are touchy among Hollywood and/or the American middle class...

That's interesting....I'll think on it and comment after work.
0 Replies

suman haldar

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:05 pm
Yes. I have seen the movie too and liked it. Specially the performance of Edward Norton was mind Blowing.
I have a collection of Edward Norton movies which includes italian job, The Illiutionist along with American History X.
Though "The illutionist" is the best in my opinion among all the movies he has done. I know critics may not agree with me on this.
0 Replies