Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 07:25 am
Quote:
1I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come!" 2I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

3When the Lamb opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, "Come!" 4Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other. To him was given a large sword.

5When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come!" I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. 6Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart[a] of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages,[c] and do not damage the oil and the wine!"

7When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, "Come!" 8I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Revelation 6:1-8 (NIV)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,896 • Replies: 54
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:05 am
The Four Horsemen

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Four_horsemen_stamp.JPG
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 11:36 am
Hmm... If it's four horsemen, then there's bound to be some horseshait in all that...
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 11:55 am
Wiki talks about the identity of the four horsemen right off the bat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_the_Apocalypse

http://www.dreamscape.com/cityhall/KRPN-China.htm
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:00 pm
Simple answer:

White horse - Ridden by Jesus
Red horse - War
Black horse - Famine
Pale horse - Pestilence

Loos like Wikipedia says pretty much the same thing. . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:15 pm
what's Jesus doing keeping company with this motley crew?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:40 pm
neologist wrote:
Simple answer:

Red horse - War
Black horse - Famine
Pale horse - Pestilence

Who is the "Rider" upon this White Horse? He is not Christ, as some claim, for Christ, as the LAMB, is holding the "Seven Sealed Book" and breaking its "Seals." Christ does not appear as a White Horse Rider until chapter 19:11-16, when He comes with the armies of Heaven to engage in the Battle of Armageddon. Then He is called "Faithful and True," and on His head there is a many "Diademed Crown," and He is clothed in a vesture dipped in blood, and His name is called the "WORD OF GOD," and there is no weapon of warfare in His hand, but a sharp sword comes out of His mouth, and the effect upon His enemies will he swift and terrible.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:42 pm
A reading would no doubt be necessary. But the main theme of Revelation is an account of how Jesus, as God's agent, fulfills the prophecy of Daniel 2:44.

It is said that many will be unhappy about the way that works out.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:44 pm
Amigo wrote:
neologist wrote:
Simple answer:

Red horse - War
Black horse - Famine
Pale horse - Pestilence

Who is the "Rider" upon this White Horse? He is not Christ, as some claim, for Christ, as the LAMB, is holding the "Seven Sealed Book" and breaking its "Seals." Christ does not appear as a White Horse Rider until chapter 19:11-16, when He comes with the armies of Heaven to engage in the Battle of Armageddon. Then He is called "Faithful and True," and on His head there is a many "Diademed Crown," and He is clothed in a vesture dipped in blood, and His name is called the "WORD OF GOD," and there is no weapon of warfare in His hand, but a sharp sword comes out of His mouth, and the effect upon His enemies will he swift and terrible.
Same guy, Amigo. Recall that the rider is given a crown, signifying authority.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:46 pm
http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/tbr/tbr026.htm

Here is an interesting site.

I am just following and poking around.

I will read Daniel 2:44.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:48 pm
Cut and Paste does not necessarily qualify as reflective research.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 05:14 pm
I know nothing about revelations. I only cut and paste this peice because it contradicted somthing. I don't know enough to speack on it myself.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 11:36 pm
That's OK as far as it goes. But there is more to it. I hope you can see that.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 11:53 pm
Yep... called myth.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 09:45 am
anton bonnier wrote:
Yep... called myth.
To many, perhaps. But perhaps a more detailed understanding of the 'myth' might prove edifying.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:14 am
Revelation Chapter Six, in the King James Version:

8: And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

That's Death on the white horse, there, Neo, not your boy Jeebus.

For a bible-thumper, you come up with some awfully suspect sh*t on a regular basis.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:17 am
The pale horse is not white.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:26 am
Just keep making sh*t up, Neo . . . i'm sure it consoles you, at least. The text upon which you are relying is not clear about either names of the rides, nor the descriptions of the horses. That verse eight follows verse seven is not evidence that it constitutes a description of the fourth horse and rider.

Additionally, you wrote:

Quote:
Red horse - War
Black horse - Famine
Pale horse - Pestilence

The text clearly states that the pale horse is ridden by Death, and it does not, in its grammatical or logical structure imply or state that it has serially described all of the horses or named all of the riders.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:37 am
Personally, I think someone was partaking of a bit of something when they had this dream, but I have always been taught that the white horseman is the antichrist. "He held a bow and was GIVEN a crown..." He is given authority, rather than HAVING it.

Christ returned is not even in the picture at this time.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:45 am
The fact that the first horse is white is of significance in light of the association between the color white and righteousness. The only one autohorized to give authority would be God.

As for the pale horse:

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Greek word interpreted here as "pale" is elsewhere in the New Testament translated as "green." The horse is sometimes translated as "pale," "pale green," or "green." The pale greenish colour of the fourth horse could mean fear, sickness, decay, and death.
0 Replies