Requesting a change in custody? (NY)

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 04:24 pm
Hey all,

A friend of mine lives very close to his daughter and since her birth, he's had an informal arrangement where the mother has custody of the child (there was never any court order or legal arrangement). He sees her often, pays over the 17% required by law, and is a good father. There are no issues or problems with the mother, and they were never married.

Now that he is earning more money and has a home with the room to accommodate her, he would like to request custody, or at least partial custody. He has been told that this would not be possible when he spoke with a court clerk, but that doesn't sound right to me.

Does anyone know or can point me to some links that would be able to clarify the situation? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 969 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 05:07 pm
Seems to me that this issue would best be taken up with an attorney. The fact that he has proof of having supported the child is a good sign.

Just a thought. If this guy has a good relationship with the mother, why hasn't he brought it up to her?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 06:06 pm
I would as soon accept advice from a traffic cop as a court clerk. In other words, maybe yes; maybe no. I would be surprised if lack of prior marriage were a bar to custody, but I would as soon accept legal advice from a court clerk as a bookkeeper.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 08:16 am
Exactly what do you mean by custody? Living full time under the paternal roof? Visiting every weekend and two weeks in the summer?

Any custody decisions should be made in the best interests of the child.

How often has your friend seen his daughter? Is she used to spending time with him? How old is she? Courts tend to feel that the younger the child is, the better off that child is with the mother.

Does your friend want an increased say in decisions about his daughter's future?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:34 pm
JAO, how are you? How's NY? I know nothing about NY law, as you might expect.

Good points made by Noddy and Roger.

He needs to consult a domestic relations lawyer. If paternity hasn't been established, that will likely be step one, and in that context, establish a parenting time schedule.

"Custody" is a word with different meanings to different people. He will want to get joint legal custody, which will entitle him to jointly make important decisions with Mother (i.e., school, medical, daycare, etc.). But physical custody will likely stay with Mother as the primary residential custodian, all things being equal, because she has been the primary caretaker -- one assumes -- for all of the child's life, however long that is. His first step should be to extend parenting time, and then get overnight visitation. Child support will also be established, and paid through court, he will get credit for the payments he's making.
0 Replies