Escaping the grasp of ratings

Busma

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 08:35 pm
Parental advisory: explicit content

^^That gets put to certain albums. Should they be?

Rated R (or etc)

^^That gets put to certain movies. Should they be?

Rated E (or etc)

^^That gets put on certain video games. Should they be?

Rated MA-14 (or etc)

^^That gets put on certain cable/tv programming. Should they be?

To the main questions:

1. Who all decides on whether or not something gets a rating of some kind? What are ratings intended for?

2. How is it the news media doesnt have to put some sort of ratings to its content of a particular news bid being covered?

Personally, based on a current rating system of your liking, what would you rate news coverage about:

1) a school shooting that left 22 students dead?
2) a teacher student sexual relationship where the teacher performd oral sex on the student?

3. Not all books are put as childrens books. How is it that writers of certain books dont have to put some sort of ratings onto the books for the content they have within them?

Personally, based on a current rating system of your liking, what would you rate the book called:

1) the Bible?
2) the Koran?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 586 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:56 pm
Re: Escaping the grasp of ratings
Busma wrote:
1. Who all decides on whether or not something gets a rating of some kind?

In the case of movies, the Motion Picture Association of America decides which ratings get applied to which movies. The decision process is famously secretive and arcane. In 2006, Kirby Dick made a documentary about the movie rating process, entitled This Film is Not Yet Rated; similar documentaries have been made in the past.

My understanding is that there is no legal requirement that a film be submitted for ratings, though any movie made by studios that are members of the MPAA (Buena Vista, Sony, Paramount, Fox, Universal, Warner Bros.) is, by agreement, subject to the process. In theory there are no consequences to leaving a movie unrated, but in practice it's a risky prospect because it severely limits the movie's opportunities for advertisement and exposure. Many newspapers refuse to print ads for unrated movies, and many theaters refuse to show them.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 06:37 pm
Yep - it's the producers not the G. Yet...

I think the news gets out because it is what it is - but that might be wishful thinking. Could just be that the populists that push ratings have got the news in their pockets or that they want kids to be civic and all that crap.

A rating system to my liking would recommend children be tied down, their eyelids taped open, and a dopamine-stimulating narcotic dripped into their veins, while low-octane pupil-dilating morphine solution is drizzlled onto their corneas when watching the news on any subject - I call it Hanno Forced Over-Stimulation for Pee-Wees Level 2 or H-FOSPW2.

Writing is presumed to be an art form as opposed to simply a medium, thus exempt. Also, the really stupid kids don't read that much. I'd rate the Bible and the Koran as Hanno's Potentially Brainwashing Wide-Era Historical Curiosity Level 6 or H-PBWEHC6.

Really good thread in a way.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 05:14 pm
I think the ratings are helpful. In norway we have a slightly different way of doing this. On the back of the cover of a film there is a recommended age limit. It's usually 7, 11, 15 or 18 years.
The way this works when it comes to action films or thrillers is as follows. This isn't official, it's just what I've found out, and it pretty much holds true.

If it's seven the movies are suitable for children, and there will be no killing, sex or blood.

If it's eleven there will be no sex, maybe kiling, but no blood and the killing isn't actually seen in the film.

If it's fifteen there is killing and blood, some sex, but very little or no nudity.

If it's eighteen there anything goes. Blood, gore, nudity profanity, you name it.

This can be helpful when you're in the video shop. If I'm in the mood for a film that is not so hard on the eyes I will go for one labeled eleven or fifteen. If I want some senseless, ruthless action that shakes me up a bit I will go for one labeled 18.
Of course, this doesn't reveal anything about the movie itself, and is not an indication of if it's any good or not.
0 Replies