Modern Imperialism

Frank R

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:48 pm
Hi again to you all. Just recently I have asked my students another question and they have all passed on great answers to me. I enjoy seeing what others have to say upon these subjects so I wish to ask, to all of those who are Canadians or who are relatively knowledgeable about Canada... This is what I am asking... 'How has Canada and\or the United States, addressed the impacts of imperialism?' My students have all provided great answers and I really enjoy reading about what others think on this subject. Thank you all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 672 • Replies: 7
No top replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:56 pm
Quote:
'How has Canada and\or the United States, addressed the impacts of imperialism?'

Is your question talking about Canadian/US imperialism, or European Imperialism?

If the former, do you mean economic imperialism, or something else?

Further, your question doesn't clarify whether Imperialism is still current - ie. are you asking how they address the affects of imperialism for a bygone era, or how they address todays current imperialism?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 03:05 pm
I already reponded to the other thread. Why have you posted it here?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 04:46 pm
Whatever gives someone the right to plant a flag in someone else's back yard and say "this is my land because I found it first" is plainly of the impression that the sparsely dressed or technologically inferior guy already living there isn't even in the race.
Imperialsim is one of the major drives behind turning the world into a big butthole for the greedy to moan over as they ravage it mercilessly.
0 Replies

Frank R

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 01:03 pm
Sorry for the lack of clarification but it is the European imperialism of the past. I am deeply sorry for that. And it is not of the modern imperialism as that is a totally different story of itself.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 01:38 pm
Hmm... You want to start a thread about the european imperialism of the past, but you name the thread "modern imperialism"....
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 02:34 pm
He can define what he wants :wink:

I can't tell you to much about Canada. I hadn't thought it nor the US had done much at all to address the impact of European Imperialism...though I suppose you could say the US helped bring the English empire to an end, winning concessions out of it after both world wars.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 06:56 pm
What gives people the right to plant a flag and say 'it's mine' if someone's already there? What gives the people who're already there to say it belongs to them? If this were a first-come first-served planet would you be bitching the Indians out about global warming or would they still be scratching their butts with flint tools. At least we took the place over and settled Germany and Japan down with it.

As for what we're doing about the effects of imperialism - there's no cure for wickedness nor should there be. It's our birthright, it's what we do - we're the meanest, smartest, most sadistic, saturnine, sensitive, enlightened, mentally developed, pagan, cynical, poetic, philosophic, dispassionate, reserved, independent, unbroken, civilized, master-class monkeys yet to evolve. If a group falls behind - don't ogle their simple uncomplicated lives - just do them a favor and exploit them till they catch up or fade away. We can because we do and we do because we can.

I plagiarized Lovecraft for this one.
0 Replies