Ripping melodramas!

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:53 am
LW

Love those titles! Written On the Wind, Far from Heaven, etc.
You just know what you;'re in for when when you see them, don't you?

eoe

Sounds like your mother really loved these old movies. Which was her VERY favourite?
I had to smile at the idea of you & your mother watching much loved movies on TV when you were supposed to be at school. Smile
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:42 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I'm not sure "Waterloo Bridge" is a ripping melodrama as much as it is poignant and thoughtful without the exagerations of most of the other films mentioned here.

Oh, I agree. Waterloo Bridge is not ripping, but you've got to admit it is definitely tearing Crying or Very sad and a "must see".

EOE: I'm anxious, too, to hear what your Mom's favorite movie was. My Mom was responsible for my love of movies, so even if many of those "oldies" seem "hokey" by today's standards, the sentiment /nostalgia involved makes them just as enjoyable to me today. Don't you feel the same way? :wink:

Msolga: Speaking of villains getting their due, if you haven't seen it, add Gaslight to your list.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 09:17 am
Moms favorite movie? That's such a hard call because she had alot of favorites, some of which I've already mentioned. I know that "Jezebel" with Bette Davis was high on her list. And "Madam X" with Lana Turner. She loved "Gone With the Wind" and "Backstreet" and "The Apartment" with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacClaine. It's impossible to select what may have been her favorite and alas, she's no longer with us to ask, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that, if there's a Heaven, there's got to be a TV there too for Miss Rose to watch her favorite movies. And "The Price is Right."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:44 am
"Madame X" again -- I think it is the antithesis of the ripping melodrama. "Far From Heaven" keeps coming up as in the running for an Oscar as best picture but the AFI Awards list is already on their site and the film isn't amongst them. Of course, we all know what happens when a lady actor plays a whore and a straight actors plays a gay person. Ebert was on Charlie Rose last night explaining among other things why he had given so many four star reviews this year. He sad it was the best year for movies in several years and AMPAS was going to have a tough time narrowing the candidates down to five nominations. Dennis Quiad playing the bi-sexual in "Far From Heaven" has competition from a lot of other actors. This is a topic I will have posted soon -- the AFI Awards are already posted in this forum. As the editor of the Film category, please PM me if anyone has suggestions as to topics or anything to do with the construction and content of the category.
0 Replies