For those who aren't religious.. views on marriage/death

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 05:26 pm
Quote:
I firmly believe that since matter and energy are fixed in the universe and I just borrowed them while I was alive, they need to be returned.

This implies that you see yourself, the energy and matter you command, as separate from all other energies and matter. But is this really so? Try to define the borders of your percieved selv, both physical and spiritual, and I think you'll find that they are very vague. They are merely perceptions, and beyond the concepts of our understanding they are not borders at all. Everything is one, indivisible. The only things we can divide into dualistic counterparts are the concepts themselves, which are nothing but reflections of the experience we are having.

And that, in turn, renders marriage and burial meaningless except for legal and practical purposes.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:45 pm
Marriage is the start of it and death is the end of it. Laughing
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:30 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
This implies that you see yourself, the energy and matter you command, as separate from all other energies and matter. But is this really so? Try to define the borders of your percieved selv, both physical and spiritual, and I think you'll find that they are very vague. They are merely perceptions, and beyond the concepts of our understanding they are not borders at all. Everything is one, indivisible. The only things we can divide into dualistic counterparts are the concepts themselves, which are nothing but reflections of the experience we are having..

I fully agree with most of what you say. We are all part of the same whole and our reality is merely what we conceive. My body in this realm borrows mass and energy from the whole, (and by that I mean "channels part of the universe's resources in an experiential manner) and burial by separation and preservation is a needless attempt at retaining that which i do not "possess" anymore. Why embalm and preserve my body? Its not mine. Its not that I owned it while my soul inhabits it, but rather its that burial rituals typically attempt to keep it separate and unique. Further testament to religion's sense of individuality and its lack of understanding that all souls are of the same origin.

I believe that god existed as self and nothing else. All-that-was is god; the absolute. Since one cannot experience self unless there is not-self, god split all-that-is into many parts. Then there was the absolute (self), the relative (not-self) and the abstract (that which is neither self nor not-self, or that which is in between). In this manner, god created experience and we are merely part of the particles of god creating experience of the greater self. So, to require a marriage or burial ritual is not what god requires. God requires nothing but experience, so while experiencing marriage or burial is neither good nor bad, there are actions which further our souls' experience and those which don't. I simply think that the actions we choose during our time in this realm are important; not because god requires anything, but because greater experience comes from choosing the thought, word, and deed which our [conglomerate] soul finds the more experiential. In this way there is no right and wrong, merely that which suits the soul's purpose and that which does not suit the soul's purpose.

I guess what I'm saying is; get married, or don't. But do it for reasons that you've discussed with your higher self, not because you think god requires it or is pleased by it. I decided to get married because I loved my significant other and it suited a higher purpose, not because its in the Bible and religion says you have to before you get laid. At its most base level, a wedding is simply a legal ceremony. It has nothing to do with love, compatibility, or sex. The marriage is the relationship, and confusing the two institutions is a recipe for disaster. I get so tired of seing people falling in love, having a wedding, then assuming they're married. Then the romance wanes and they believe they are trapped in a moral bond that must be suffered until death. In a USAToday poll, 85%of divorced people polled claimed that their marriage was "on the rocks" or "unhappy" for more than half of its duration. Of those polled, 70% claimed that their marital vows are what kept them in the relationship. On the question of how many would have left their partner sooner had it not been for the marriage, 94% said they would have left sooner.

Marriage is a social construct enstated to prevent the spread of disease. Those aren't my words, that's part of the Constantine doctrine from 1800 years ago. Keep in mind in the Old Testament, many of the big godly characters had multiple wives and mistresses. Its only in Constantine's New Testament that monogamy is even spoken of in great detail. If marriage suits your higher self, then do it. Don't do it because its the next logical step in your relationship according to society or religion.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 10:54 am
Curtis... are you a Neale Donald Walsch reader too?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:07 am
Marriage to me is just a piece of paper that costs $, so if I love a man enough to live with him, I just go with that.

My fathers funeral devistated me, so much so that I haven't been to a funeral since.
I want to be cremated and either planted under a flower garden or put wherever my family wants me, as long as it's not a cemetary. If they can't deal with me being that close, just sprinkle my ashes in the ocean or the woods somewhere quiet. I like quiet :-D

No funeral and no wakes for me.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:32 pm
bellsybop wrote:

I don't treat it as gospel by any means, but he has an interesting philosophy. Let's say that some of Neale's work got me started on a path to a higher enlightenment. I think its a good start for the newly anti-organized-religion.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:58 pm
I have already told my husband and son that when I die, they can do whatever they want. Cremate me, donate organs or as my mother used to joke, just stick a bone up my butt and let the dogs drag me away. Funerals are for the survivors, because when you are dead you won't have a clue what is going on and if you do, you probably won't care. Elvis will have left the building, so mox nix.

My views on marriage would take more time than I have tonight, plus they would bore the crap out of everyone else. I happen to enjoy my husband........first marriage was a disaster and I was certain that I would never marry again.......but never say never, I am happy that I married my husband of 29 years, it's been a great ride.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:23 am
curtis73 wrote:
bellsybop wrote:

I don't treat it as gospel by any means, but he has an interesting philosophy. Let's say that some of Neale's work got me started on a path to a higher enlightenment. I think its a good start for the newly anti-organized-religion.

I don't use it as gospel either but it was the eye opener that I needed to lead me towards enlightenment too. My whole family has come out of the closet after reading his books. All the questions that I had about religion and life makes so much sense now. Whether he is right or wrong doesn't matter to me... it just makes sense. I feel like I am living now. Glad someone else here has read the books! That makes my new year start off happy.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 06:19 am
An eye opener INDEED. I started with the first book, then I read his "new revelations," then I bought "Autobiography of a Yogi" and "Wheel of Rebirth"

Now I have some more serious reading to do Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 06:38 am
As far as being cremated, put in an urn, and left in a niche in a national cemetery, I think even that is "overkill". If I had my "druthers", I would have my ashes spread in a lake in this state part that I love. But Mr. P. wants the cemetery bit, and it's no big deal, so I will go along with it.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:17 pm
<<Death - cryonic preservation with trust fund for reanimation. Failing that, funeral pyre of stray dogs to blacken the flagstones of heaven from below.>>

Hanno...well, yeah. And "failing that" is sorta like the Zoroastrian death rites in India. Vultures thrive on the abandoned corpses but yours is more poetic.

Set, that is a great old country tune...Please don't bury me...

There is a Quaker ritual where you, personally, wash the body of your dead loved one, then bury or cremate that person. I think the ritual washing serves the purpose of a funeral in that you take the time to think about the person as you clean them up for disposal.

I wonder if my fear/dislike of burial is due to my claustrophobia. Maybe so, maybe not. I do not want to think of being entombed and have told everyone who will listen that I want to be cremated after any useful organs or tissue have been recycled. If they want to save a scrap of remains to keep, that's okay. Otherwise, return me to the nearest soil.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:04 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
As far as being cremated, put in an urn, and left in a niche in a national cemetery, I think even that is "overkill". If I had my "druthers", I would have my ashes spread in a lake in this state part that I love. But Mr. P. wants the cemetery bit, and it's no big deal, so I will go along with it.

Yeah, me too. Once I'm gone they can do what they want with my ashes, if they're not crazy about my idea.

Whatever makes them happy.
0 Replies