Getting Philosophers Out of Their Armchairs

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:13 pm
From the New York Times Magazine:

The New New Philosophy
By KWAME ANTHONY APPIAH

Suppose the chairman of a company has to decide whether to adopt a new program. It would increase profits and help the environment too. "I don't care at all about helping the environment," the chairman says. "I just want to make as much profit as I can. Let's start the new program." Would you say that the chairman intended to help the environment?

O.K., same circumstance. Except this time the program would harm the environment. The chairman, who still couldn't care less about the environment, authorizes the program in order to get those profits. As expected, the bottom line goes up, the environment goes down. Would you say the chairman harmed the environment intentionally?

I don't know where you ended up, but in one survey, only 23 percent of people said that the chairman in the first situation had intentionally helped the environment. When they had to think about the second situation, though, fully 82 percent thought that the chairman had intentionally harmed the environment. There's plenty to be said about these interestingly asymmetrical results. But perhaps the most striking thing is this: The study was conducted by a philosopher, as a philosopher, in order to produce a piece of . . . philosophy.

It's part of a recent movement known as "experimental philosophy," which has rudely challenged the way professional philosophers like to think of themselves. Not only are philosophers unaccustomed to gathering data; many have also come to define themselves by their disinclination to do so. The professional bailiwick we've staked out is the empyrean of pure thought. Colleagues in biology have P.C.R. machines to run and microscope slides to dye; political scientists have demographic trends to crunch; psychologists have their rats and mazes. We philosophers wave them on with kindly looks. We know the experimental sciences are terribly important, but the role we prefer is that of the Catholic priest presiding at a wedding, confident that his support for the practice carries all the more weight for being entirely theoretical. Philosophers don't observe; we don't experiment; we don't measure; and we don't count. We reflect. We love nothing more than our "thought experiments," but the key word there is thought. As the president of one of philosophy's more illustrious professional associations, the Aristotelian Society, said a few years ago, "If anything can be pursued in an armchair, philosophy can."

(See thread for complete text.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 575 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:14 pm
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 01:31 pm
Quote:
Suppose the chairman of a company has to decide whether to adopt a new program. It would increase profits and help the environment too. "I don't care at all about helping the environment," the chairman says. "I just want to make as much profit as I can. Let's start the new program." Would you say that the chairman intended to help the environment?

O.K., same circumstance. Except this time the program would harm the environment. The chairman, who still couldn't care less about the environment, authorizes the program in order to get those profits. As expected, the bottom line goes up, the environment goes down. Would you say the chairman harmed the environment intentionally?

The outcome, wether good or bad for the environment doesn't change the fact that the chairman is a greedy bastard who doesn't consider the consequence of his actions unless he is the one who has to take them.

But there is a difference. If he proceeds with the plan with no interest in the fortunate effects to the environment, he doesn't intentionally help the environment.

On the other hand, if he is warned that the plans are damaging to the environment, and still proceeds to go forwad, he chooses to harm the environment.

The thing is that the two scenarios are very different in what considerations must be taken. If there's no harm to the environment, the need for consideration for it doesn't arise. But if there is harm to be done that is a factor that should be considered according to all ethical guidelines.
0 Replies