ARE MIDDLE AGED NEW ZEALANDERS REALLY WANTED IN AUSTRALIA

mercator

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 03:06 pm
Hi Dagmaraka,

Have a look at http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/index.htm and look at the form concerning New Zealanders. The actual form ( 1126i ) and is the form that applies in the case to which I have referred.

In the case I have mentioned, ( referring to skilled migrants ) the subject form clearly states, " In order to be successful you will need to have post-secondary qualifications and experience in one of the occupations gazetted by the Australian Government, BE UNDER 45 YEARS OF AGE when you apply...etc.

Just for your interest, there are EIGHT types of migration that are applicable to New Zealanders. They MUST be able to conform with the requirements of the relevant section. These are; FORMER MIGRATION, CHILD MIGRATION,PARENT MIGRATION,OTHER FAMILY MIGRATION, EMPLOYER SPONSORED MIGRATION, GENERAL SKILLED MIGRATION BUSINESS SKILLS MIGRATION AND SPECIAL MIGRATION.

In brief, if one is unskilled, over the age of 45,has a member of his / her family still resident in N.Z. then they are welcome to come to Australia, ( subject to certain other requirements ) but cannot obtain Australian Citizenship.

In terms of AGE pension, Australia and New Zealand have reciprocal arrangements. i.e. at age 65, a New Zealand resident, regardless of citizenship, obtains the same amount of pension ( In Australian currency) that they would have receivedn their country of origin...NOT..as some seem to think... a higher pension and paid by Australian taxpayers..... The same applies to other forms of Social Security.. Which seems absolutely fair.

Thanks for your interest dagmaraka.

Wattsie
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 11:43 pm
Wattsie

With all due respect, skilled migrants seem to do just fine anywhere where their skills are in demand.

Skilled Australians don't seem receive special treatment (in any other country?) on the basis of their nationality, so why should skilled New Zealanders wanting to migrate to Australia?

I'm really sorry, but I just don't get our argument.

BTW, if I was a New Zealander, I suspect I'd want to stay put. I admire so much about your country.
0 Replies

mercator

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:14 am
Hi msolga,

Good to hear from you but there really is no argument. Simply a point of view. New Zealand is not my country of origin and I agree that whilst it is a beautiful country it is a bit too cold for me.

You obvously need to read all of the posts concerning this matter also the relevant legislation on the immigration website.

Without appearing to be rude, I think we have now gone as far as we can on this issue and it is up to New Zealanders to avail themselves of the literature. It has been a most interesting topic and I am now moving onto more interesting topics.... Like VOLUNTARY euthanasia.... I'm sure that will be of interest...

Have a lovely Christmas. Wattsie
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:25 am
Re: ARE MIDDLE AGED NEW ZEALANDERS REALLY WANTED IN AUSTRALI
wattsie wrote:
Hi msolga,

Good to hear from you but there really is no argument. Simply a point of view. New Zealand is not my country of origin and I agree that whilst it is a beautiful country it is a bit too cold for me.
You obvously need to read all of the posts concerning this matter also the relevant legislation on the immigration website.

But I have read the posts, Wattsie.

I have also visited the immigration website.

But not to worry.

And you have a happy holiday, too!

And keep posting! Don't make this your only thread, hear? Very Happy
0 Replies

Tigershark

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 02:21 am
vikorr wrote:
The Immigration Act was changed mostly in response to a problem created in Australia by New Zealands Immigration Act.

That is, NZ allows pacific islanders to claim NZ Citizenship pretty much immediately. Australia (used to unconditionally) allow NZ Citizens to live in Australia and claim welfare.

Pacific Islanders were going to NZ, getting their citizenship, then coming to Australia and living on welfare. The numbers were fairly significant.

So, you're saying it is a race issue?

Kind of like when the UK made it harder for Commonwealth citizens to gain entry to UK, because they were getting flooded with Indians and Jamaicans?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 04:44 am
Not sure how you got Race issue from vikors post. this could apply to a citizen of any nation using anoher country as an intermediary. The fact that it happened to be pacific islanders coming to Australia via NZ ia immaterial.

I have no doubt it is/was an economic issue.
0 Replies

notrik

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 03:20 pm
middle aged kiwis across the ditch
All I can say is that (as a New Zealander) I love this country. BUT, youve got cheaper petrol, cheaper milk, warmer climate, friendly cities, public transport that works, hot woman and Robbie Deans. So look out! This kiwi psychologist arrives on boxing day.
0 Replies