Ricky Hatton v Floyd Mayweather

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:33 pm
Mayweather will bottle it. He'll say his poor little hand is sore.

Go for it Ricky take the title you can you will.

(Seriously dont you think Hatton is a nicer fella?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,424 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:59 pm
now here's an interesting thing

at the weigh in screened live on BBC tv Hitman Hatton said (I paraphrase)

"right now lets go **** the ****" or words to that effect.

Yet on this live broadcast it was suddenly cut so Hatton only said F....

and straight back to the reporter outside th arena.

How do they do that? How do they know whats coming in a "live broadcast"

Ans its not live. There's a time delay to enable them to cut embarrassing/awkward moments like this. In other words they are lying to us again, its not live at all.

Anyway interesting scenes. mayweather must have wondered where the hell he was in front of all those hatton fannattons.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:26 pm
LOL....had no idea what room you were ushering me into.

I cannot speak to this or even credibly fake it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:28 pm
Yeah...time delay. Hardly anything is 'live' any more.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:55 pm
When the shuttle blew up on launch, I was sure they cut the sound before the astronauts started screaming.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:20 pm
That's nuthin.

The BBC began its flagship news programme tonight with the words-

"The BBC has learned..."

Something they read on the yesterday's internet. They made it seem as if they were the only ones on the inside track.

That's lies. First words. Flagship News. Breathlessly faking just like a woman.

What's the rest of it worth after that?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 01:29 am
Hatton is stepping up a weight to take on an undefeated world champion in his own country. The man is bigger, and has a longer reach.
If Hatton wins, and he has a realistic chance of doing it, it will be the best result for a British boxer, ever.

Hatton's style depends on him getting close to his opponent and working on body shots.
I think Mayweather has the reach and the speed and class to make that very difficult.
Hatton has had trouble with cut eyes before, and that's how I see this going. Will Hatton land enough heavy body shots to slow Mayweather down, before his eyes cut up? Doubtful IMO.

If determination and "fighting heart" have anything to do with it, Hatton has a real chance, but I think he will need some luck as well.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 07:28 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
When the shuttle blew up on launch, I was sure they cut the sound before the astronauts started screaming.

Within 24 hours of that accident (and this was really prior to everyone being connected via internet and email) jokes were circulating around north america by word of mouth. The reaction was that immediate. Aside from the compelling questions regarding the psychological/sociological phenomena at work, it struck me at the time how interesting it would be to have a tree diagram of how these communications originated and branched.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 07:29 pm
I see that one boxer is white and the other black. Does this seem to be a component to the interest or is that too difficult to determine?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 10:13 pm
blatham wrote:
I see that one boxer is white and the other black. Does this seem to be a component to the interest or is that too difficult to determine?

People are loathe to admit it, but white/black matches have a certain kind of attraction. Not the least of the alluring aspects is the fact that boxing is dominated by people of color - especially in the heavyweight ranks, and white people are always hungry for a "great white hope". As I said, few will admit to it, but there has been much written and said about the very phenomena.

As to this particular fight, as Mc Tag said, Hatton likes to wade in and wing hooks to the body and head, while Mayweather will counterpunch and try to cut his face to shreds with speed and reach. This will be a humdinger, but I pick Mayweather in 10 by TKO.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:08 am
That was a very good call, Snood. Respect.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 04:11 am
snood wrote:
blatham wrote:

People are loathe to admit it, but white/black matches have a certain kind of attraction. Not the least of the alluring aspects is the fact that boxing is dominated by people of color - especially in the heavyweight ranks, and white people are always hungry for a "great white hope". As I said, few will admit to it, but there has been much written and said about the very phenomena.

As to this particular fight, as Mc Tag said, Hatton likes to wade in and wing hooks to the body and head, while Mayweather will counterpunch and try to cut his face to shreds with speed and reach. This will be a humdinger, but I pick Mayweather in 10 by TKO.

Of course a white v. black contest has more of an edge to it, and strangely, the commentators in this country shy away from ever mentioning such a possibility.

One of our veteran boxing commentators (in the days when we had a lot of boxing on TV, which we don't nowadays) said something like

"And as they come out of their corners for the first round, Robinson is wearing the red trunks, and Timkins the blue trunks"

One of the men was lily-white, and the other black as black can be.

Well fought Mayweather by the way, a super class act, and not a mark on him. Maybe we'll get to see the fight later, as it was only on pay-per-view here.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 07:35 am
It's going to replay on HBO on the 15th.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:15 pm
Brilliant prediction snood, hope you put some money on that.

I decided to listen on t'wireless.

Set alarm for 3.45

woke up at 2.30

listened to various burblings until 4.50 when it started

Went for bike ride in the rain 7.55

I think hatton was outclassed, and out refereed. That bloke was clearly giving advantage to Mayweather.

Hatton is one hell of a fella, he was flat on his back then 5 minutes later being asked about his future...he said it was better being vertical or words to that effect.

Also he said sorry everyone[/i] Jesus if ever there was a man in no need to give an apology it was Ricky Hatton. Hattsoff to Hatton.

But Mayweather outboxed out danced and outthought Hatton. He deserved his win.

One last point...embarrassing behaviour of Brit fans booing and jeering at American anthem. Glad to hear one or two of the more decent ones apologised.

Hey ho, no sleep 55 miles got drenched twice. Something to eat then EARLY BED
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:59 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Brilliant prediction snood, hope you put some money on that.

I decided to listen on t'wireless.

Set alarm for 3.45

woke up at 2.30

listened to various burblings until 4.50 when it started

Went for bike ride in the rain 7.55

I think hatton was outclassed, and out refereed. That bloke was clearly giving advantage to Mayweather.

Hatton is one hell of a fella, he was flat on his back then 5 minutes later being asked about his future...he said it was better being vertical or words to that effect.

Also he said sorry everyone[/i] Jesus if ever there was a man in no need to give an apology it was Ricky Hatton. Hattsoff to Hatton.

But Mayweather outboxed out danced and outthought Hatton. He deserved his win.

One last point...embarrassing behaviour of Brit fans booing and jeering at American anthem. Glad to hear one or two of the more decent ones apologised.

Agree with Steve on every point.

Thinking though, you reached your prediction, Snood, too late to get a bet on. Am I right? :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 02:14 pm
Quote:
LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. boxed the heart out of Ricky Hatton on Saturday night, repeatedly pounding the gutty Englishman on his way to a 10th-round technical knockout that confirmed the flashy welterweight champion as his sport's most skilled tactician.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-boxing9dec09,0,2949032.story?coll=la-home-sports
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 02:45 pm
Heard it on the news this morning while flipping pancakes. I know next to nothing about boxing, nor about these particular boxers, and very little about Steve 41oo, except that he's a Brit and seems to have a lot of close calls while riding his bike. Nevertheless my first though was, "Ah that's a shame; Steve will be disappointed". I need to get out more.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 03:22 pm
Yes, you do. It is a GOOD thing when steve is disappointed.
0 Replies

edgar111

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 07:32 pm
I think it's a little hard to say
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 07:39 pm
Quote:
Thinking though, you reached your prediction, Snood, too late to get a bet on. Am I right?

Well the point about whether I had made my prediction in time to bet is moot - I don't bet money on anything. But I had come to the idea that Mayweather was going to win by TKO in late rounds a few days ago.
0 Replies