0
   

I hate sports

 
 
Slappy Doo Hoo
 
  1  
Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:31 pm
Right, I'm sure many schools would see the benefits of throwing a kid on a skateboard or ice skates during gym class. Great alternatives. By the way, just about every thing you listed is involved in competitions. Going by that, you could also play baseball, basketball, football, all solo too. So sports aren't stupid? Can you make a argument?

And did you actually "race" your VFR, or just do track days?

Hey, I'm in better shape than most sports fans, er, people, I've ridden motorcycles, I can play an instrument, AND I played sports growing up. There's really no point in that last sentence, but figured I'd fit in with all the other non-sensical crap being tossed around this thread.
0 Replies
 
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:39 pm
sozobe wrote:
There are just so many erroneous assumptions and leaps here.
Outside of the below Straw Man Logical Fallacy you make a Bare Assertion Logical Fallacy given you do not support your claim thus I challenge you to support it.
sozobe wrote:
Who says everything taught in PE is competitive and/or a team sport?
This is a Straw Man Logical Fallacy given I did not make such a claim, thus your claim is misleading.
0 Replies
 
George
 
  1  
Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:44 pm
kickycan wrote:
I don't understand why you differentiate between team sports and individual sports. What is the problem that you see with team sports that you don't see in individual competition?

Excellent question!
0 Replies
 
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:52 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Right, I'm sure many schools would see the benefits of throwing a kid on a skateboard or ice skates during gym class. Great alternatives.
This is a Straw Man Logical Fallacy given I made no such exclusionary claim.
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
By the way, just about every thing you listed is involved in competitions.
This is a Straw Man Logical Fallacy given I made no such claim that competition in and of itself is bad.
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Going by that, you could also play baseball, basketball, football, all solo too.
This is a Non Sequitur Logical Fallacy as your conclusion does not follow from your erroneous assumption.
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
So sports aren't stupid?
This is a Non Sequitur Logical Fallacy as your conclusion does not follow from your erroneous assumption.
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Can you make a argument?
This is an Ad Hominem Logical Fallacy but in rhetorical form; you attack the person rather than address the substance, thus the process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the Argumentum Ad Hominem works to change the subject.
0 Replies
 
George
 
  1  
Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:57 pm
Yes, sports can be carried to ridiculous extremes, but I think you paint
too grim a picture.

From when he was 6 to when he was 13, I coached my youngest son's
youth soccer team. It was an in-town league and the idea was to split
the kids up as evenly as possible and emphasize fun. You still got the
occasional nutjob coach or parent, but the overwhelming majority were
really concerned about providing an safe environment, some structure,
and letting the kids play.

What's wrong with that?
0 Replies
 
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:01 pm
kickycan wrote:
I don't understand why you differentiate between team sports and individual sports. What is the problem that you see with team sports that you don't see in individual competition?
Do you mean if both types are within the same envelope of a mandatory PE program for kids in school ad the kid in question does not like mandatory team sports but prefers another physical activity?
0 Replies
 
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:20 pm
George wrote:
Yes, sports can be carried to ridiculous extremes, but I think you paint too grim a picture.
It would not be much fun if I did not polarize the issue to some degree! Given the quotes I provide above it would seem I'm in good company.

Admittedly on some other threads I do take a more balanced approach but I was moved by the the initial web-site I quoted, and some of the sympathies I share.
0 Replies
 
Region Philbis
 
  1  
Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:34 pm
me like sports.
me play sports.
sports good...
0 Replies
 
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:50 pm
Your bubbles look very team-like wheres my sparks look very independent!
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Should cheerleading be a sport? - Discussion by joefromchicago
Are You Ready For Fantasy Baseball - 2009? - Discussion by realjohnboy
tennis grip - Question by madalina
How much faster could Usain Bolt have gone? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Sochi Olympics a Resounding Success - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » I hate sports
  3. » Page 4
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/16/2021 at 06:08:26