The Psychology of Time.

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:32 pm
that's suppose to be funny? I dont get the joke! someone help!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 10:40 pm
If so, i feel i must explain;

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Let's say, you have a 2 week vacation. Have you ever noticed that in the beginning, the whole vacation is ahead of you, and it seems like a long time. When you get to the end of the first week, the vacation seems shorter, and the last week gallops to a conclusion. I think that it is the same thing with life.

Yes, actually at the begining the whole thing IS ahead of you; and at the end of the first week, there IS less remaining; and it DOES end!

and so on for your other examples.

I thought you were joking, because you are in effect saying/revealing 'nothing'! Shocked
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 10:56 pm
Laughing Actually that was funny! LOLOLOL how much do you actually expect me to laugh, id have to say that was a very witty remark! Laughing
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 01:12 am
Bo

Interesting comments on computer analogies. I agree with the differential cataloguing concept. Also your "relationships" concept is significant especially as a by-product in the development of "accurate clocks" for navigation purposes. For in essence what is "clock time" other than a social agreement to interact for some purpose.This leads of course into the social history of "time keeping"....many moons.....manana...etc

Lightwizard

I believe Proust can be excrutiating to read but is significant for tracking of conscious thought as events unfold.

Esoteric philosophers such as Gurdjieff have a concept of three "minds" or "centres" which operate on different time scales (the intellectual, the emotional, and the instinctive repectively in terms of speed of operation). One possible analysis of Proust which follows is that he attempts to "slow down" the second two to the level of the first . (Gurdjieff would argue that this is typical of "a lower level man whose attention has been captured, and who wastes energy with the wrong work of centres" !)

Monty Python of course loved Proust as a topic of conversation for otherwise stereotyped housewives whilst they did their laundry !
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 10:15 am
I wuld discuss Proust, and Gurdjieff, in depth;

but i'm 'OUT OF TIME'! Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies