Moving to Adelaide in April! any advice etc?

becvall

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:58 am
@djalliance,
hi there, i am a born and bread 'adelaidian' i've lived in Golden Grove (north east) most of my life, great neighbour hood, it has everything you need, its about 30 min to the city.

Any way i will give you the run day Northern Suburbs: i don't wanna be mean here but i will advice you, first of all adelaide is pretty small, most of it is pretty safe, keep away from the northern side of town, suburbs such as Elizabeth, Salsbury, Munoparra. They can be a bit rough. Nice suburbs in the north are mawson lakes, and maybe ingle farm, golden grove, greenwith, tea tree gully, Oakden, eastern side is more the wealthier area, Norwood, skye beautiful area, skye is like really great soooo nice it's like in the hills but 10 min to the city! but its like VERY pricey. Magill is pretty good, Burnside, Tusmore, but most of this eastern area is quite pricey. I personally enjoy the western suburbs, i am italian background and alot of my family live in findon, hindmarsh, Thebarton, west lakes area. Very nice area. anywhere near the beach really is nice, henley, semophore, etc, i don't really know alot about the south, i know someone that lives in Happy Valley, they said it was pretty good.

the best places to search for jobs would be seek.com.au (as everyone know's) careerone.com.au the news paper has jobs, usually on wed and sat but to be honest alot of jobs ask you to apply online, or you can try cold calling, i have got a few jobs like that as well.

Things to see: To be honest there not heaps to do in adelaide, its quite pretty city, some have discribed it as a big country town. We have the Fringe Festival in Feb/Mar, which is like an arts festival, we have the food and wine festival. Victor Harbour is nice to go visit. some of the country towns are nice like Clare. Rundle mall like our main shopping area, in the middle of the city, we have alot of park area in the city. Gelatisimo has the best gelati and ice cream (on rundle street). The adelaide hills is a nice drive, especially in winter or spring because its very green. The Barossa Valley is nice, good for wine tasting

Beaches is Adelaide: Unfortunately we do have sharks here in Adelaide, we do have area's that are more protected and life guard security, Glenelg is probably the best for that, its the 'main' beach in adelaide, very lively, especially in the summer. However i prefer a bit more down tonned, lik Henley Beach, Semaphore or even West lakes beach all very nice. They are all sandy beaches here, Aldinga is also quite a nice beach, (bit of a drive though).

Is there anything I should be aware of about Adelaide or the people their? LOL, well i am from adelaide and haven't really been anywhere else yet, (planning to soon), most of us, u'll find are pretty friendly. I think, lol, basically if your nice and friendly we are nice and friendly back. You do get the odd dickhead here and there.

As far as youth work goes, my cousin actually does that but i cant remember what company he works for, it is hard to get jobs here sometimes, it depends what field. If it in demand e.g mining its not very hard. I studies marketing and even then it can be hard for me. (i have no experience). You just gotta keep trying. But its a good idea to just cold call, and give out resume's or enquire or just ask around. About your degree i would maybe ring University of Adelaide or Tabor College, i know they offer that course there and just ask them if you need to get verified.

I hope that answers most of your questions.
Smile
0 Replies