Moving to Adelaide in April! any advice etc?

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 03:07 am
My partner moved to Australia just over 2-weeks ago and at first went to Melbourne but she didn't like it so moved ot Adelaide (which was my number one choice for OZ). She now likes it in Adelaide but her main problem is findign work, every good job she applies for demands that you have a valid driving licence and all the crapy jobs demand that you are a permament resident. For example she has been applying for normal jobs in places like starbucks and cafe's but they keep telling her they cannot employ her because she only has a 1-year visa - are they on drugs? are they expecting anyone to stay longer than 6-months at a place like that :/ scary thought!

So i'm going over in April - wooohoo!

My biggest concern is finding employment, after hearing how dificuilt it is without being a permament resident. I have driving licence so that's not a problem but I find if discirminating to be told I cannot get a job because I can only work for upto 6-months with any one employer - unless you get a sponsorship (surely there's a law saying employers can't do that? - it's prohibited in the UK). Has anyone else found this problem when going to OZ and finding work? I have a degree in Community Education but I cannot find anywhere in Adelaide or OZ that will accredit it? I have contacted a few international bodies but they were useless and didn't answer my questions lol anyone know if I will need to get my qualification verified to beable to do youth work? and where do I go?

Im not bothered about finding accommodation, that's pretty easy and my partner is already their so it makes it easier for me. Meeting new people will come in it's own time. So really what I want to know is:

Where's the best places to find youth work type jobs in Adelaide?

Are there any specific website for advertising youth work type jobs?

Does anyone know if I will need to get my qualification (community education degree) verified to be able to do youth work? and where do I go?

Where are all the good hidden beaches to go to in Adelaide?

What should I go visit? - not the boring usual stuff lol

Where's the best places to live in Adelaide (within a decent price range)? - nice places only

Is there anything I should be aware of about Adelaide or the people their?

What are the most potential dangers/best things?

Anything you might want to add!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,230 • Replies: 20
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:45 am
advice?

1. Stop whingeing. Our country our rules OK!

2. re divers licence its pretty easy to get one.

3. There are no good beaches around Adelaide. the are all infesed with great white sharks.

4. You should visit Rundall mall.

6. Youth workers 20 positions Adelaide

7. https://jobsearch.gov.au/Maps/maps.aspx?st=11&rgn=sa&WHCode=0
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:43 am
Thanx for thsoe sites mate, much appreciated and I wasn't winging! I was making a factual public statement about something!
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 03:41 pm
For jobs you might try seek.com.au
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 01:58 pm
vikorr wrote:
For jobs you might try seek.com.au

Got that one thanks Smile
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 01:58 pm
Anyone got any info about Adelaid in general who lives their?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 03:22 pm
I don't, and I know msgola lives in Melbourne. Not sure about the other regulars to this forum.

By the way, I believe there's also careersone.com.au (I saw it advertised) for jobs online.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 03:55 pm
Deb (dlowan) is a resident of Adelaide. She may pop in here later.
0 Replies

Cloud Sparrow

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 11:39 pm
Okay, as a dedicated Adelaidean I feel it is my duty to answer this post, regardless of how out of date it is. In fact, I'm sure nobody is going to read this by now but I'm going to respond anyway.

Quote:
Where's the best places to find youth work type jobs in Adelaide?

Are there any specific website for advertising youth work type jobs?

Does anyone know if I will need to get my qualification (community education degree) verified to be able to do youth work? and where do I go?

These questions have been answered.

Quote:
Where are all the good hidden beaches to go to in Adelaide?

Depends what you want out of a beach. For flat, touristy areas, try somewhere like Glenelg. Its a bay so there's no surf, but lots of parks, cafes, etc.
If you want somewhere a little more exciting head futher south. Southport is the usual surf spot. Anywhere further south from that is beautiful. Maslin Beach is a beautiful open beach with a coastline pocketed with caves. It is also renowned as the first nudist beach in the southern hemisphere - whatever floats your boat I suppose.
If you want something really 'hidden' take a trip to Kangaroo Island - there are lots of wonderful secluded beaches with rocky walks etc.

Quote:
What should I go visit? - not the boring usual stuff lol

For general touristy stuff, head to Jetty Rd. Glenelg or Rundle St. City for shopping, cafes, etc.
For walking trails and nice views head up to Mt. Lofty, or extend the drive through Hahndorf.
Alternatively, drive a couple of hours down to the Coorong for unique ocean views and birdlife (while it is still there - all of these areas are rapidly dying due to drought).

Quote:
Where's the best places to live in Adelaide (within a decent price range)? - nice places only

I am currently renting in Glenelg which is quite central (20 min tram ride to city) - I have the beach on my doorstep, cafes, bars and shops all in walking distance. It is a rather affluent suburb but also has pockets of lower-income housing.

Quote:
Is there anything I should be aware of about Adelaide or the people their?

Just stay away from the parklands (surrounding the city) at night and you'll be fine.

Quote:
What are the most potential dangers/best things?

Adelaide is a fairly quiet , humble place most of the year. This can be both the worst and best thing about the place. You can drive 20 minutes and be in the countryside, yet the city has everything I've ever needed without being overcrowded.

Anything you might want to add!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:31 am
Welcome cloud sparrow, Thank you for the input.
An almost full rundown, well done

Perhaps you should mention The Crows and The Power
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 08:05 pm
Go to MUMBai, or Chennai and you need not seek a job.
You wil get one.
If not you will get your food with thanthuri chickens( if you are non-Veg) or Chappathi, paortha, Idly dosais bundantly and extrvagntly with minimum price..
In adelaide you have to speake German
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 08:09 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:

Incorrect. no - one in Adelaide speaks German on a regular basis.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 09:07 pm
dadpad wrote:
Ramafuchs wrote:

Incorrect. no - one in Adelaide speaks German on a regular basis.

Well - what do they speak?

Do you understand dlowan when she talks?

Biggest thing to remember in Adelaide - DON'T PROVOKE THE BUNNY!

And they're crap at football - all codes! (sorry - they only have one code - and they're crap at that!)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:04 pm
I love the Possum Pic, and I bet the really do speak German down there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:42 am
roger wrote:

Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:45 am
Ramafuchs wrote:
You wil get one.
If not you will get your food with thanthuri chickens( if you are non-Veg) or Chappathi, paortha, Idly dosais bundantly and extrvagntly with minimum price..

Rama...please do not give advice when you know not of what you speak.

It really is a basic thing on a forum where people strive to give accurate info to others to not come onto threads asking for factual information, not to pretend to know about something you do not know about.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 01:22 am
dlowan wrote:
roger wrote:

Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

See!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 01:23 am
dlowan wrote:
Ramafuchs wrote:
You wil get one.

Rama...please do not give advice when you know not of what you speak.

It really is a basic thing on a forum where people strive to give accurate info to others to not come onto threads asking for factual information, not to pretend to know about something you do not know about.

Understood and agreed with this! Cool
0 Replies

rodlo7

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 04:43 am
Moving to Adelaide.. Employment
Surprise.. If one was going to UK on normal working/holiday visa one can only work for half the time there.
A lot of countries have this arrangement
0 Replies

kaz78

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:54 pm
Message for djalliance
Hey,
Just read your message about moving to Adelaide in April! I have recently moved here from Edinburgh & I too have a degree in Community Education. I've only been here for 4 weeks, but there are a few places you can contact for work. Hopefully, you read this & get back in touch!!!
0 Replies