Windows ME or Windows 2000

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 01:10 pm
We sported a Windows ME on our new computer, and while everybody seems to agree the system is not worth a spoon of compost (ok, another of my slovakisms), it ran just fine. the only thing that did not run, was the MapSource -GPS unit cooperation. Our good-natured neighbor updated the system to Windows 2000 and the computer is crashing and freezing ever since. It will not install anything, the CD burner does not work, to disconnect of internet i have to shut the whole thing down...etc. The GPS unit does work now.... but not much else.
Question: was the installation wrong and i should ask the neighbor to kindly do it again, or should i just restore the original Windows ME version, screw the GPS unit and all? Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,164 • Replies: 13
No top replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 01:40 pm
ME SUCKS, your computer sounds like it doesnt have enough ram to run 2k but then again thats only 1 idea. Did he install all the drivers for your hardware dont seem like it. I would upgrade the comp so I could run 2k or XP but thats just what i think.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 01:43 pm
My BF, for whatever reason, hates XP. The computer should have enough ram to do anything it wishes to, i wasn't here when the kind neighbor installed the thing. could be that the drivers are missing. not being able to install anything is certainly unpleasant. will have to invite him for coffee and tie him to the computer until it's fixed!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 01:52 pm
Get a new bf. XP is the key.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 01:57 pm
well *nix is the **** but if someone doesnt wanna learn a new OS Xp is the key.....if he likes winME hes crazy, how much ram does it have? try a resore see what happens
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:14 pm
new bf is a no go. i live in his house, i like it. i have XP on my laptop and am loving it. he doesn't like the way it looks, it's too 'girly' or whatnot. i'll try the restore, lesse what happens...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:22 pm
Put XP on it and refer your bf to this site:

http://www.andyrathbone.com/tips/xpclassic.html

Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:22 pm
Dag, you can change the appearance of XP to whatever Windoze look and feel you prefer.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:38 pm
He thinks it looks too girlie? What a nut!

Wish I could help you, Dag......
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:41 pm
yes there are things called themes and if you don't like them there are programs to TOTALLY change the look. Your boyfriend is not secure enough with him self if he gives a **** what his desktop looks like I mean come on who cares what it looks like its how it preforms.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:39 am
i think he's alright. but the computer still isn't. i tried 'restore', it wanted the CD from me (neighbor has it). I tried to at least put the original Windows ME back in there, it wouldn't install!!! it prolly wasn't installed right. MUST... GET...THE NEIGHBOR!!! but must be nice to him, as he has wireless internet connection and may be able to hook us up.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 02:56 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
new bf is a no go. i live in his house, i like it. i have XP on my laptop and am loving it. he doesn't like the way it looks, it's too 'girly' or whatnot. i'll try the restore, lesse what happens...

Yes, XP is the Playskool version of Windows, but you can change that using Desktop Themes and free managers. Just do a Google search for desktop themes and there are dozens of sites and thousands of themes.

Personally, I prefer Win2k Pro, it's much more stable than any Windows that came before it and you don't have to try to talk Microshaft into allowing you to reinstall it when it inevitably fails, and it will. All versions of Windows do.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 02:59 pm
Windows XP is leaps and bounds ahead of 2000. Go with Playskool. You can skin it or just make it look 98.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:00 pm
i shall talk to the man. the windows version from the overly friendly neighbor was the windows 2kPro. it has nice perks - only if we could get them to work. i have installation cds for XP -but for a notebook - will it run on a desktop computer if i attempt to install it there???? if so, do i need to save everything - will it erase all that was on the computer? should i let someone who knows computers better to do it, or do you have enough faith in me that i won't screw up the computer beyond any hope?
0 Replies