Reccomend an External Hard Drive

dadpad

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:21 am
I need an external hard drive for the purpose of backing up my whole system.

It does not need to be super fast as I would set it to transfer/backup overnight. I just need the safety of having a current backup for everything in case my hard drive should crash. I cannot afford to lose my work stuff. I have programs that deposit files in odd places not just "my docs" or "documents and settings" and it seems easier to backup the whole system, windows and all, rather than root around trying to make sure I have all recent changes covered.

My current hard drive is around 150 gig with around 50 gig used. Its a Seagate. Someone told me to get a SATA drive. I think this is a type rather than a brand. Will a SATA hard drive be compatible with my current hard drive

All and any advice on system backups second hard drives and external hard drives will be greatfully received.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,485 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 04:49 am
A SATA drive is not an external one, it is a type (as you note) which fits inside the computer case as an internal drive. You can only fit one if your motherboard supports them. The other type of internal hard drive is known as IDE, which is supported by most motherboards. For ordinary use there is not much difference. You can tell your pal that.

External drives come in 2 main flavours, USB and FireWire. FireWire is a bit faster than USB I think, but also more expensive. In August I bought a Seagate "Free Agent" USB 320 GB external hard drive. It cost me 60 UK pounds, which is slightly north of 120 US dollars, and I consider it money well spent. They are getting cheaper. The main advantage of these drives is that you just plug it into a USB port, you don't have to open the case, and you can easily connect it to another computer if you need to. You have to observe certain rules about unplugging it if you wish to avoid losing all the data on it. I just leave mine plugged in all the time.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 08:06 am
Thanks contrex.

Thats what I need. I can buy one for $119.00 AUD.

The couple of reviews I have so far read seem positive without being over the top.

There does not seem to be any/many complaints coming up in a google search.

EDIT: Can you run applications direct from your external hard drive?

It appears that the "Free agent Go" branding will run apps directly but is unclear if the FA 250Gig will do so.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 02:30 am
so.... I got the new uniot today. read the first parra in the instructions and roflma.

Quote:
If you need further instructions refer to the user guide located on the hard drive.
If you choose to sit and stare at your new Free Agent (tm) for a while thats OK, too.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 02:55 am
Yes I laughed at that. It's on the Web too luckily.
0 Replies

kellmoon

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:58 pm
FreeAgent 250 GB external drive
Hi, just got a couple of these Seagate Free Agent external hd's - my question is: the user manual that came on it only is for a Mac - and I don't have a Mac. Anyone have one of these that had the documentation for XP or Vista or Windows at all? Thanks!
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 04:27 pm
I snagged a Maxtor 1-touch. Its a bit pricey but you can ebay them and save some. Its nice because the software lets you set up exactly what you want to back up and then at the end of the day just touch one button and its done. You can have it do the whole drive, just documents, settings, all system files, etc.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 04:49 pm
contrex wrote:
A SATA drive is not an external one,
Not so, I have two SATA2 external drives. SATA2 external HD enclosures are common now.

SATA2 external drives blow away both USB 2.0 and Firewire and they are as cheap as dirt!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 05:17 pm
I buy all my stuff from NCIX

Here is a nice simple 500GB unit for cheap ($131.98) if you just want USB

Acom Data Hybrid Drive 500GB 7200RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Pushbutton Backup

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25479&vpn=HD500UHE5-72&manufacture=ACOM%20Data&promoid=1087
0 Replies