Venus in Venice: The Goddess of Love's Dinner Party

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:26 pm
I can't help but over-hearing, Giulietta (mia nona's nome!), you found that stunning dress where?!?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:37 pm
Well, speaking of rogues, there is still the fellow who was on the piazza with Mr. Boccaccio, who Osso has been batting her eyelashes at. When last heard of, Maria/Matilda Callas was looking for him with a keen eye. Osso and Giovanni haven't seen him for ... about 45 minuti.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:40 pm
Seems that the festivities are winding down. There goes Eva to her beloved. I think I see Giulietta slipping away with that Count (whatsisname?). There goes that goitered trader. What did he sell....? Hmmm, don't remember. Ah! Some wine please, grazie. Mi piace questo vino. Where is that dessert......?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:00 pm
Guilietta! I didn't see you out on the balcony, I thought you'd gone. So, have you seen any other rogues, then? No? Ah well, I guess I should return the beautiful dress to my sister soon anyway. Yes, I get most of my good clothing from her. And, who knows, maybe I'll stumble across some delectably impish rogue of my own (for the evening - you know how rogues are).

Maybe I'll wait just a little longer for dessert.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:09 pm
Well, there was a fellow who was guarding the door when we came in and he did look quite roguish, though with a twinkle in his eye.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:36 pm
oooh, I like sparkly eyes. Maybe the dessert will arrive if I get up and wander around for a bit. Was that the garden or the main entry?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:42 pm
The main door by the cobbled street (not the canal side or the garden side....)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 10:02 pm
{I lost a whole post! grrr}

{whistles........} I'll just wander over here for a bit....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 10:54 pm
Eva rushes through the entry hall to the waiting water taxi, but stops when she hears littleK...

"Oh, you misunderstand! The party is NOT winding down! It's just starting! There are still several courses to go, then of course there is dessert. Then gelato. Then the chocolate fountains and the champagne pool will keep us busy all night....(giggles) well, among other things!...

"Cav, my amazing chef and dear friend, do save some dessert for me for when I return. I wouldn't miss that for the world! And you know, three or four days in the real world can only be a few hours here in virtual Venice...

"Just keep on eating and drinking while I'm away. The chamber quartet has been instructed to play Mozart and Vivaldi, but they will take requests if you have any other favorites...

"Keep an eye on that Gustavratzenhofer fellow, will you? You never know what he will think of next. (Although I believe he is quite preoccupied at the moment...giggles)...."

"Oh, one more thing. You may keep the pearls, littlek. The baubles in the powder room are take-home goodies for the ladies. Did you see the antique cameos in there while you were looking? I forgot to tell you about those..."

Eva kisses everyone and promises to be back in the blink of an eye.
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 11:38 pm
EileenM blushes as she is shown into the dining room. She is under dressed. With her faded jeans and hoodie she was almost mistaken for an informal servant. Quickly she apologizes and takes a seat.

"Oh, I am sorry for my appearance, I must have misread the invitation. AND I'm late..." her voice fades as she looks around at the interesting guests and decides that they all have some 'quirks' in them.

The tomato towers call out to her and she quietly snatches one up as she thanks god she missed the lamb. She's a vegetarian.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:12 am
Eileen, did you just say you're vegetarian? Well, sit here next to me. All these carnivores left a vegetarian's feast behind and I certainly can't eat it all. Here's some risotto that was made with vegetable stock. It has wild mushrooms and pinenuts, here, smell.... isn't it wonderful?

Well, I found that guard and, well, I'm a bit tired. So, I'll be off for a little morning nap. See you all later. WHERE is THAT dessert!?!?!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 08:16 am
The scones are done, the peaches poached and peeled, the vanilla bean creme brulee sauce completed, the sugar caramelized....let's plate:

http://groups.msn.com/littlekb/transcanadatraintour.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=954

The dark liquidy thing on top of the creme are aged peach-muscat preserves, and the dark triangly thing at the side is a thin shard of caramelized sugar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:00 am
Ooooh, exquisite, how delicious! says Osso to the lady next to her in the peculiar outfit.
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 01:48 pm
Eileen M takes some of the remaining food to her plate. " Ooooh, everything smells so wonderful. And the taste... to die for."

At that moment, as if on cue, a choking sound emerges from down the table. Who could it be? What have they choked on? Will Cav pay the price?
DUN DUn duh...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:17 pm
Cav is insured....it was...Emelda, choking on Gustav's rat Bordelaise! It sounded like it was coming from the table as Emelda's voice was so strong.....

"Is there a doctor in the house?" a lone voice cries...
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:08 pm
At that very moment, the telephone in the hallway rings, quite loudly. Eva, annoyed considerbly at the interruption, goes under the staircase to silence the machine. The long distance operator said that it was a person to personal call from sumac in Naples, and was there an Eva there?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:54 pm
But, eva is away, sumac, and can't respond now. But others are glad to hear who is calling. Hmmm, see Naples and live!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:08 pm
Vincenzo and Lucinda share a moment, admiring the Naples they both love...there was indeed a slight chill in the air....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:39 pm
Lucinda Delfino and Vicenzo Gocchetto walk along the bay at sunset....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:03 pm
The Venice Taxi Boat Captain
The television in the kitchen is reporting a story of interest to guests at Eva's table. Everyone in the kitchen stopped their food preparation to watch the story.

"In Venice, Stars' Best Friend Is Taxi Boat Captain
Fri Aug 29, 6:59 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!
By Shasta Darlington

VENICE, Italy (Reuters) - Oliver Stone has dined with him, Glenn Close has serenaded him and Hollywood mega-producer Joel Silver can't live without him when he comes to Venice. But you've probably never heard of Francesco Greco.

The 68-year-old taxi boat captain with a leathery face and calloused hands has come as close to the stars as anyone during his 40 years plying the canals of Venice with the relentless paparazzi in tow.

"If you're good and you take care of people, you make friends. I've had lunch or dinner with almost all of the big stars," he said standing next to the narrow canal where Hollywood legends disembark every year on their way to the Venice Film Festival on the Lido.

"There are so many stories, I couldn't even begin to recount them all," he said.

Like the time he picked Robert De Niro up at the airport.

The "Taxi Driver" star told him to ditch the press and after a hair-raising chase through Venice's twisting canals Greco finally delivered De Niro to the door of his hotel in perfect secrecy.

"Poor paparazzi. They have to make a living, but I have to listen to what the guy who pays me tells me to do," Greco chuckled.

Of course times have changed. At the 60th edition of the world's oldest cinema competition which kicked off this week, taxi boats also have to outwit the police who have set strictly-controlled speed limits.

After more than three decades working for the festival -- half of its 60-year history -- Greco now coordinates the fleet of elegant wooden boats that ferry stars from the airport to the private dock at the five-star Excelsior hotel.

He has also filled a pretty impressive address book that includes the likes of Harrison Ford, Madonna (news - web sites) and Oliver Stone, who invited him to dinner with the whole family and presented him with free movie passes for the festival.

"But the women are always more fun," Greco said. "Like Glenn Close...she was funny and sang on the way over to the Lido."

Greco has since hung up his captain's hat but he said there is one person he couldn't possibly refuse to go and pick up personally.

"("Matrix" producer) Joel Silver from Warner Bros, the biggest capitalist in Hollywood. He's a very good friend and no matter what he always wants me to take him around with his family."
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 11:31:44