Yes, Stanley, It Most Certainly is....

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:45 am
A Mad-Mad-Mad-Mad World.

A beautiful gathering by the former surviving members of one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen and it's being restored.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/madworld/mad.html

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

What's the funniest movie that you have ever seen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,168 • Replies: 17
No top replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:08 am
Good afternoon Letty dearest,

there was a very funny seq. in the Magnificent 7.
It involve James Coburn who was quick and handy with a knife and another gunslinger who challenged him to a pretend dual. Coburn claimed he won and that his knife hit the target before the other blokes bullet. The other bloke disagreed and they did it for real (well not real real, cos it was only a movie and not Texas in 1880) .. Coburn won the retake with his knife sticking in the other blokes chest. Had me in hysterics it did. And then there was the fight in Butch Cassidy and The Sundial Kid ...............................................
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:53 am
Good mid-morning, John, honey,

If I saw "The Magnificent 7", I've forgotten it, but James Coburn in "Our Man Flint" was a fantastic spoof on Ian Fleming's stuff.

Still love "My Cousin Vinney" and "Beverly Hills Cop"--

And, of course, O Brother Where Art Thou"

Something tells me, John, that "Freddy Meets Jason" would be equally funny. Very Happy
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:03 am
"Oak meets the Wise Old Owl" was a real hoot, had the audience screetching with laughter
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:08 am
Once had a movie party and screened "What's Up Doc?" We all nearly died laughing -- it is the best of the modern comedies combining the zany romance antics of "Bringing Up Baby" with the kinetic spirit of all the silent comedies (particularly Buster Keaton).

Other favorites: "The Inlaws" (the original, not the remake), the recent "Freaky Friday" and I am waiting with baited breath for next weeks restored version on DVD of "Animal House." "Trading Places" is rewatchable many times and still extremely funny. "Some Like It Hot" is the classic comedy to end all classic comedies in my book.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:32 am
God, Mr. Wizard. I loved "Trading Places", especially the scene on the train with Murphy and Jamie Lee Curtis. The gorilla bit was kinda funny, too. Very Happy

Opening line for Oak's movie: "Who--Who--Who are You?" Razz
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:42 am
And Letty sweetheart, there is a song already recorded called "Who Are You" by The Who.
The Owl's big line is== "get off my branch pronto amigo, or you go down the express way". The main plot line is the Owl has vertigo & agorophobia.
He has consultations with Dr. Doolittle at his Palm Springs Hideaway
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:54 am
The funniest skit in a movie was the "Latin lesson" in Monty Python's Life of Brian
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:19 am
I would put almost all Monty Python movies on the list, although The Meaning of Life to me was a bit weak. Trading Places is a classic. This is tough, as funny is such a hard thing to describe....are we talking belly-laugh funny, or sophisticated funny? Hmm....personally, I loved the Airplane and Naked Gun movies, and Jackass: The Movie (which I simply have to own), but all those would be on the low end of the humour scale. Shallow Grave, on the other hand would fall somewhere on the other side of humour, dark and sophisticated.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:47 am
Cav and Acquiunk, Monty Python's stuff has always been outrageous with a sense of the ridiculous. Love that kind of humor!

Which "Naked Gun" movie was the one in which Leslie Nielson tried to sing " The Star 'Strangled' Banner."? UhOh...believe it was the one with O.J.Simpson. Rolling Eyes Anyway, it was a rollin in the floor type humor with a sophisticated touch, Cav. and I think the same one where Nielson slid across the banquet table with Queen Elizabeth underneath... Surprised

John, Deere (I know, used it before) Some lengthy recordings are movies unto themselves, like Cheech and Chong stuff. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:14 pm
Letty, I believe both Naked Gun movies featured OJ, and in both, he was physically abused in a most comedic way....watching him being dragged under cars, trains, buses, etc, makes me feel vindicated somehow Laughing The one with the Queen would have been the second movie, I believe.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:19 pm
Speaking of the Mad etc. World....my favorite scene has to be where Jonathan Winters beats the gas station attendent with the tires...If you liked that movie, you might like "Rat Race", a Zucker production (Airplane, Naked Gun) with a Mad Mad World plot. It was fun....not great, but fun, with some good laughs.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:33 pm
Thanks, Cav. I need some laughs. Who was the actor that kept telling Ethel Merman, "Your baby's coming, Mama"? Later he starred in "The Producers". Terry Thomas was hysterical to me. How great to see the entire gang in reunion at the Pig 'n Whistle in Hollywood. Of course, some were sadly missing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:34 pm
"Mad, Mad World" may be destined for IMAX -- it was the first 70 mm Super-Panavision Cinerama movie. The screen at the Hollywood Blvd. Cinerama theater had to be updated for the focus ratio of the new process from the then obsolete three camera technique (with the Venetian Blind screen). Still all the chase scenes can't compare with Streisand and O'Neil on the vendor cart, racing down the streets of San Francisco.

Much as I'd like to elaborate, it would be deja vu from a thread from a few months back on comedies.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:35 pm
Oh crap...the name escapes me. I am sure LW knows.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:35 pm
(Not that there shouldn't always be a favorite comedy film thread running. I do see openings for Featured Topics so we'll see where this runs.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:41 pm
You know, Mr. Wizard, I wondered about a former thread. I do believe I remember it. I hate to duplicate, but when I saw that bit on TV today, it just sprang forth. The actor's name who starred in "The Producers" was Shawn something. Hate to look it up. Need to go back to my own link. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:44 pm
Dick Shawn...good grief.
0 Replies