Need a New Virus Scan Program

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 06:15 am
For the last few years, I have been using Norton Virus Scan, and have been pretty happy with it. My subscription is up at the end of the month, and I am already getting nag notices about the expiration.

Normally, I would just renew. What ticked me off was that Norton wanted 40 bucks for the renewal, and I am finding deals on the net that are between 20-34 dollars, one even from Norton itself.

So I started looking around for something else. At this point I am totally confused. What do you use for virus scanning? Are you happy with it? Why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,994 • Replies: 20
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 06:16 am
I use AVG Free, and I am very happy with it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 06:25 am
I use panda software.
Have used it for 3 or 4 years now and love it.

BUT-
I find myself using other programs that are free more often and getting some better results..
odd, but true.

Spyware doctor.
Online Trendmicro house call ( weekly)
CrapCleaner
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:38 am
contrex- I checked on AVG free. Apparently, people either love it or hate it. The main problem is that if there is a glitch, there is really no tech support. Hey, what do I want, for free????

shewolfnm- I would be very uncomfortable without a virus scan that was "always on", and gave me automatic updates.

I checked this:

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I am always very leery of these reviews, especially when they don't jibe with user reviews.

Link to Virus scan reviews

I am going nuts. I have a Zone Alarm firewall (the free version), which I love. (I once had the Pro, but it was so complex, it was a pain in the butt).
In one of the reviews, it said that the Kaspersky (I think) conflicted with the Zone Alarm.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:51 am
My panda serves as the 'always on' virus scan.

I use spyware doctor and crap cleaner as a second guess, double check system and with that combination ( 2 free one not) I am pretty safe and happy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:56 am
Update: This has definite possibilities:

Link to Zone Alarm anti-virus.

Apparently, this virus scan comes with the firewall too. I like a review where the user reports are similar to the editor reports.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:56 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
contrex- I checked on AVG free. Apparently, people either love it or hate it. The main problem is that if there is a glitch, there is really no tech support. Hey, what do I want, for free????

Exactly. There are plenty of discussion groups where people discuss problems. I am not sure what you mean by a "glitch". I have used AVG for over 3 years now, and it has always worked OK.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:09 am
contrex- By a "glitch", I mean a problem with the program that arises that the user cannot fix by himself.

I have to step away from this for the moment. There is something very strange. When I went deeper into the reviews of the Zone Alarm, there was something very peculiar. Although the site said that out of 117 reviews, the average user score was a (4), the site only had 8 reviews to read, and most of them were lousy.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:39 am
Need a New Virus Scan Program
I use ZoneAlarm and have for three or four years now. I am very happy with it. I know there have been a number of unfavorable reviews, but I haven't been hit by any bad stuff as yet.

I just wish that it would be more specific about the items they question, but no other AV program I've seen is any better in that respect...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:44 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
contrex- By a "glitch", I mean a problem with the program that arises that the user cannot fix by himself.

OK I'm with you now. I did once get a message that said that AVG had encountered a problem and needed to be reinstalled, so I downloaded it again and reinstalled it, and it was fine. Apart from that, no problems.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:49 am
The more that I read, the more confused that I get. Apparently, there have been some changes in Norton 2008 that has proved problematical. I read this glowing review about Bit Defender, with good user reviews. Then I read somewhere else that it stank.

I think that I am going to sit in the corner for awhile and sulk! Sad
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:05 am
Re: Need a New Virus Scan Program
Tomkitten wrote:
I use ZoneAlarm and have for three or four years now. I am very happy with it. I know there have been a number of unfavorable reviews, but I haven't been hit by any bad stuff as yet.

I just wish that it would be more specific about the items they question, but no other AV program I've seen is any better in that respect...

Look 'em up on Google.
0 Replies

PikaPk

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:37 pm
Viruses... Rolling Eyes

Shocked
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:34 pm
My subscription was up on Norton Internet Security 2006 and I had to decide what to do. I have upgraded the program every two years since NIS 2002.

I decided not to go with NIS 2008. Instead I went with Norton 360. It retailed for $20.00 more than Internet Security 2008, but I got it on sale for $50.00 off.

So far, I am happy with it. It seems to run better than NIS and I haven't had any problems.

It includes a defgrag program and cleanup utility as well as anti virus, anti spam, firewall, any spyware etc.

It does not get along with Microsoft Defender and insists on removing it before running setup. I did not see this as a problem because I was not particularly a fan of defender anyhow.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:31 am
OK- Bottom line. The more I read, the more confused that I got. Apparently, there seems to be a tremendous disconnect between how editors and users evaluate virus scans.

As my brother would say, I was a victim of TMI (Too much information).
I was very impressed by Kaspersky. The problem there, is that I discovered that there is a known conflict between Kaspersky and Zone Alarm. I have the free version of Zone Alarm, and I refuse to give it up.

So, as they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I paid my 40 bucks, and renewed the Norton. I know that I could have gotten away cheaper, but my computer has been running great on what I have, and I don't want to risk futzing things up just to save a few dollars.

I have always upgraded virus scan engines every two years. Looks like I am sticking to my previous pattern!
0 Replies

PikaPk

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:42 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
OK- Bottom line. The more I read, the more confused that I got. Apparently, there seems to be a tremendous disconnect between how editors and users evaluate virus scans.

As my brother would say, I was a victim of TMI (Too much information).
I was very impressed by Kaspersky. The problem there, is that I discovered that there is a known conflict between Kaspersky and Zone Alarm. I have the free version of Zone Alarm, and I refuse to give it up.

So, as they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I paid my 40 bucks, and renewed the Norton. I know that I could have gotten away cheaper, but my computer has been running great on what I have, and I don't want to risk futzing things up just to save a few dollars.

I have always upgraded virus scan engines every two years. Looks like I am sticking to my previous pattern!

Nah, I just think we're victims of the damn things! Charge!!!!! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:37 pm
I highly recommend Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare (there's a 90-day free trial on its website, and Amazon currently sells it for $34 bucks). OneCare is drop dead simple to use; includes antivirus, antispyware, firewall, and backup software that all works well together; and uses an easy, annual subscription model (which covers both the subscription to new virus/spyware signatures and any major or minor software updates). Plus, you can legally install it on any three PCs for no extra charge. I've been using it since it came out and haven't had any trouble with it yet.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:54 pm
Very Cool, Thx Monger. Cool
0 Replies

PikaPk

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 06:02 pm
Rockhead wrote:
Very Cool, Thx Monger. Cool

Drop! Bombs away! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Nordicus

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 09:56 am
Re: Need a New Virus Scan Program
Tomkitten wrote:

Take care, I've just had to un-install Zone Alarm following new Windows Defender updates which disagreed with it and caused my Vista O.S. to crash. Zone Alarm had to go because it's not possible to remove Definition updates from Windows Defender. Nordicus. Shocked
0 Replies